Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:40 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ac30b#comments

I love this comment from the comments section:

"Good. Time to lift up by the bootstraps and learn a new trade. I'm sick of hearing about 'lazy' Millennials working two minimum wage jobs while out of work coal miners claim to be hardworking because of the job they *used* to have while they sit and wait for them to return.

If your industry is gone, learn a new one. If there's no jobs in your area, move. We're all supposed to fend for ourselves with healthcare but we're supposed to sacrifice our water quality and give money for subsidies so a few thousand people can hang onto the past for a few more years until they're shelved like an Atari?

If you sit increasingly poor in the same town waiting for a job to be dropped into your lap because the cities that are hiring workers are full of liberals, I have zero sympathy for you. I got training and got my job... it cost me a great deal and took, let's see, five states, and two countries all costing me 7.9 percent compound interest through Uncle Sam. If the bottom falls out, I'll do it again.

Coal's dying. Boo hoo. Move on."

The entitlement and laziness among Trumpies is so annoying.
Ignorance abounds in the "comments section". It really is pathetic that so many people don't have a clue. I'm guessing most are young or have never lost their job in an area where they owned their homes, homes that with all the job loss had become worth nothing.

Moving costs a lot of money which unemployed people do not have, especially when their house will not even sell because there is no market where there are no jobs.

I'm guessing those that comment aren't very logical in their thought. Probably those that use their college diploma on the wall of their parent's basement to keep the cold air out!

I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn't have a clue condemning the lives of others they know nothing about.

Laziness has already been attributed to those that got degrees and because they can't find a job, lay around complaining and not paying back those loans. We, the taxpayers, ended up covering $170 billion in student loan default. Those are the people that are a problem.

Beware that one day you may find yourself without a job, without the money for training, beware of the future, I have seen things happen to arrogant people that helped to reset their "greater than thou" attitudes.

Also, making up names for Trump supporters is so 2nd grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 12:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Next week, dummy Donald will be telling everyone that buggy whips and 5 &1/4" floppies are going to make a big comeback!

Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Ignorance abounds in the "comments section". It really is pathetic that so many people don't have a clue. I'm guessing most are young or have never lost their job in an area where they owned their homes, homes that with all the job loss had become worth nothing.

Moving costs a lot of money which unemployed people do not have, especially when their house will not even sell because there is no market where there are no jobs.

I'm guessing those that comment aren't very logical in their thought. Probably those that use their college diploma on the wall of their parent's basement to keep the cold air out!

I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn't have a clue condemning the lives of others they know nothing about.

Laziness has already been attributed to those that got degrees and because they can't find a job, lay around complaining and not paying back those loans. We, the taxpayers, ended up covering $170 billion in student loan default. Those are the people that are a problem.

Beware that one day you may find yourself without a job, without the money for training, beware of the future, I have seen things happen to arrogant people that helped to reset their "greater than thou" attitudes.

Also, making up names for Trump supporters is so 2nd grade.
Please. How long are they going to play victim? They attack the guy that gave them health care and worship the guy that lies to them? Zero sympathy for them. As long as I'm not paying for them, they can do whatever they want, they just need to stop whining and taking tax dollars. They got what they wanted, the environmental protections are gone. Now they have no excuse. None.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
All politicians lie, some more than others, most Americans know that, though they won't admit their preferred candidate is a liar too - only everyone else's politicians are liars. A completely honest politician couldn't get elected, thanks to voters - not politicians. We the people gave Trump the Presidency, collectively we own this. The last honest politician I read about who did sneak through was summarily ousted after one 2-year term. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Cao

Fortunately we have three branches of government to prevent any politician or group from doing anything stupid. Immigration EO>judicial struck it. AHCA>didn't even get out of the House. I was determined to give Trump a chance, but I wonder what if anything he/they will get done. If they can't after 6-7 years of whining, Democrats will sweep back in. But they won't do anything either. Again, the three branches are still working as intended centuries ago...
Ah yes, the "Obama, too!" defense.

You're not totally wrong in that most politicians lie. Or bend the truth to fit their agenda.

But the difference is Trump lies far more frequently and more blatantly (and when presented with facts against his asinine lies he'll likely go with the "well, someone else told me that, so it's not my fault" (i.e. he saw something on Fox News and ran with it without doing any research)).

His track record with the truth compared to your average politician is pretty embarrassing.

I can show you the fact checking data to support that (Donald Trump's file | PolitiFact vs. any other politician http://www.politifact.com/personalities/) but most Trump supporters will dismiss it as "libs lying to make him look bad"...so what's the point?

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 03-29-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 01:56 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Trump lied. Again. Sorry for anyone who got taken in.
How. Some regulations have already been lifted and some coal companies are seeing an increase in business and employment?

Do you think anyone really believed Trump would suddenly bring back all the jobs that have been declining over the last many years or since the heavy regulations were put in place?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Here is a very nice map of the top energy source by state and it makes sense, showing Washington state's as hydro. Trump and his supporters loved to blame Obama for the problems in Appalachia and it will be poetic to watch Trump find someone else to blame. Republicans are no friend to the environment so it's very sad to see what Trump did yesterday but the reality is coal's demise had nothing to do with regulations and everything to do with alternative energy sources.

"Competition from gas was one reason that AES Corp.’s Dayton Power & Light announced in November it will shut two coal plants in Adams County on the Ohio River. With a combined capacity of 3,000 megawatts, they’ve operated for 40 years and employ hundreds of people.

“That got the community fired up,” said Michael Pell, chief executive of First State Bank in the nearby town of Winchester, who’s emerged as a leader of local efforts to resist the closures. He lists the likely effects: the county will lose about 30 percent of its property revenue, and potentially 70 percent of its school budget, and there are no state rules to guarantee the sites will be properly decommissioned and cleaned up.

Not only will we lose our tax base and jobs, we may lose our water supply,” he said. There’ll be “zombie plants sitting on 5,500 acres that my grandchildren will have to look at for all eternity".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-can-t-stop-it
Attached Thumbnails
Trump Promised to Bring Back Coal Jobs...-displacing-coal.jpg  

Old 04-04-2017, 03:33 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Ran across a couple of interesting articles.

There's Little Dignity Left In Coal

76,572 people were employed in coal mining in 2014, the latest year for which data is available. This includes miners, office workers, sales staff and all other employees of coal-mining companies.

"Carwash employment tops 150,000."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cd0871ca4ada

Coal is losing out to natural gas and sustainable energy and that's just the way it is.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:40 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
The coal jobs will be back once we burn through all of this "cheap and abundant" natural gas making electricity. Anyone remember 2008 when we were building LNG terminals to import natural gas from the Middle East? How soon we forget.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:45 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
Yup, and the sun will burn out, too. Then we will return to coal.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:50 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Yup, and the sun will burn out, too. Then we will return to coal.
The natural gas will be used up long before the sun burns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies