Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:24 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Great ways to live simply.

What do you do for day trips or small vacations? Rent a car for a few days?

Vacations are another thing Americans waste their money on in the name of living for "experiences." I'm not saying people shouldn't take time off, just that they don't need to take two or three vacations a year that cost $500+. I'm 30 and have a great corporate job (100K+) and I take a vacation once a year...but I don't go to jamaica, miami, or something like that. No, I head back to Iowa to visit family. Vacations are by and large ubiquitous consumption that further contributes to people living in a way that is NOT simple.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I was raised to spend in America. It's a good way to stimulate the economy. I think it's our way of live.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 PM

230 posts, read 115,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Its a shame that many people are not able to save because of stagnant wages and high taxes. Oh I know we can solve that problem just import more illegal aliens to drive wages up.

1 in 3 Americans could not come up with 2000 in an emergency
It's not democrats or moderate republican fault that Americans can't come up with $2000. You can blame those(Mostly ultra conservative, tea party) who only care about getting richer and lining their own pockets. I can't find a single right winger who truly cares about middle class people. They just want to take away health care, food, and shelter for poor and middle class americans and give all their money to 1% of America. Tax cuts for rich people are not going to allow Americans to have more money.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:18 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Vacations are another thing Americans waste their money on in the name of living for "experiences." I'm not saying people shouldn't take time off, just that they don't need to take two or three vacations a year that cost $500+. I'm 30 and have a great corporate job (100K+) and I take a vacation once a year...but I don't go to jamaica, miami, or something like that. No, I head back to Iowa to visit family. Vacations are by and large ubiquitous consumption that further contributes to people living in a way that is NOT simple.
I don't call that a waste seeing the world when you're young and have energy is something you'll never regret.. but you might look back and regret you didn't do it. To me a waste is buying a brand new car when it loses half of its value in 3 years. The old fart that worked at a gas station and died at 90 with 8 mil in stock certificates and then left it to a library was crazy in my opinion.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Its a shame that many people are not able to save because of stagnant wages and high taxes. Oh I know we can solve that problem just import more illegal aliens to drive wages up.

Yeah and you want them all making their own choices to save for health care and retirement.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't call that a waste seeing the world when you're young and have energy is something you'll never regret.. but you might look back and regret you didn't do it. To me a waste is buying a brand new car when it loses half of its value in 3 years.

You've just reiterated the exact "mindset" - living for the moment and living for experience - that causes Americans to not save money.

And then Americans will look to blame someone else for their financial woes, when it's clearly their own fault

Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:

Where is the sense of personal responsibility here? So quick to blame the RINO's and the Democrats but put no responsibility on the individual?

You don't think it has a little something to do with a ;lack of responsibility, a craving for instant gratification, and so forth?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 AM

3,839 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Quote:
I agree with you that taking out credit card debt to fund a vacation in some far off place is irresponsible.

The cost of living has gone up so much for food, housing and basic things it really is not surprising to read this.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:51 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
You've just reiterated the exact "mindset" - living for the moment and living for experience - that causes Americans to not save money.

And then Americans will look to blame someone else for their financial woes, when it's clearly their own fault
If I have money in the bank that's my right if it gives me enjoyment in my life and I'm learning about other places and people. I only agree if you're talking about someone that only has a couple thousand in the bank that's not enough for many emergencies. They should save more first.
You must be one of those people that never go out to eat because you can eat a steak at home lol. I just can't imagine living that frugally, it's not living to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I agree with you that taking out credit card debt to fund a vacation in some far off place is irresponsible.

The cost of living has gone up so much for food, housing and basic things it really is not surprising to read this.
Living in a high cost of living area is a choice. Many people could save much more money simply by moving and not living in an area they can barely afford. People just pick and choose things based on their own perceptions, as you can see.

A lot of things can qualify as a waste especially big ticket items such as certain cars. People don't inherently "need" a luxury vehicle. Yet many people without a lot of money in the bank will finance one.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 03-30-2017 at 04:08 AM..

Old 03-30-2017, 04:12 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
It's not democrats or moderate republican fault that Americans can't come up with $2000. You can blame those(Mostly ultra conservative, tea party) who only care about getting richer and lining their own pockets. I can't find a single right winger who truly cares about middle class people. They just want to take away health care, food, and shelter for poor and middle class americans and give all their money to 1% of America. Tax cuts for rich people are not going to allow Americans to have more money.
That's odd because the majority of Middle class people have been moving away from the Democrat party since 2008.

GOP gained ground in middle-class areas in 2016 | Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies