Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
If ya got it.... Spend it!!!!
I've often thought that some want to wallpaper their coffin in 100s.
Me, I just want two pennies for the ferryman.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So the people who have to have a $5 Starbucks every morning while at work, never bring their lunch, but than have absolutely no savings or whine when the car insurance is due.

That's the left's fault?

My parents were children of the Great Depression, despite becoming comfortable later in life there was always the memory/fear of of poverty. The same with others of their generation.

So you put something aside, used to be called a "rainy day fund".

Now it's called "Go Fund Me".
So true... I know so many like this. Agree it's not a left or right issue. I don't even know if it's an American issue; I've seen many friends in Asia and Europe live the same way, and not just because the cost of real estate is so high in many of the places they live. I'm not even that old but when I was growing up, a middle class person did not expect to drive a BMW or carry a Chanel... nowadays I see that becoming more of an expectation, maybe because you see that lifestyle so much more now with social media and etc.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
So true... I know so many like this. Agree it's not a left or right issue. I don't even know if it's an American issue; I've seen many friends in Asia and Europe live the same way, and not just because the cost of real estate is so high in many of the places they live. I'm not even that old but when I was growing up, a middle class person did not expect to drive a BMW or carry a Chanel... nowadays I see that becoming more of an expectation, maybe because you see that lifestyle so much more now with social media and etc.
Exactly, there is "I want it and I want it now", worry about how you're going to pay for it later.

People who are middle class and even upper middle class shouldn't be spending $50,000 on a wedding but they do.

I have seen this twice in the last year. a young couple who both have car notes, student loan debt, had a big fancy wedding even though one couple had lived together for 5 years. They make good money but they're not saving/investing any of it.

I think you're right, social media has a lot to do with this as does some of these reality TV shows.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm putting it on Trump's party. Which party routinely votes down raising the minimum wage? Here's a hint, it's not the Democrats.

Here's a hint for anyone trying to get a raise by increasing the minimum wage, develop a marketable skill so that you can earn many times whatever the minimum wage happens to be.

Let's not reward stupidity and uselessness.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
I'm putting it on Trump's party. Which party routinely votes down raising the minimum wage? Here's a hint, it's not the Democrats.
Quote:
Well it's funny you mention that, what perfect timing, since the mayor of Baltimore just shot down a mininum wage increase. Shot down as in, vetoed it, blocked it, cancelled it, stopped it. It's dead.

She sure as hell isn't a Republican I can tell you that much.

I was going to start a thread about it but I'll let someone else do it. Most of the MSM is trying to sweep the story under the rug. The story is a huge blow to Democrats and their raising the minimum wage movement.

USA Today had an article on it.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:04 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Well it's funny you mention that, what perfect timing, since the mayor of Baltimore just shot down a mininum wage increase. Shot down as in, vetoed it, blocked it, cancelled it, stopped it. It's dead.

She sure as hell isn't a Republican I can tell you that much.

I was going to start a thread about it but I'll let someone else do it. Most of the MSM is trying to sweep the story under the rug. The story is a huge blow to Democrats and their raising the minimum wage movement.

USA Today had an article on it.
While the mayor of Baltimore did veto the city minimum wage, that doesn't mean that Democrats in general work to raise the minimum wage and Republicans generally try to hamper raising the MW.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Here's a hint for anyone trying to get a raise by increasing the minimum wage, develop a marketable skill so that you can earn many times whatever the minimum wage happens to be.

Let's not reward stupidity and uselessness.

I have a self-employment skill that would allow me to earn many times whatever the minimum wage happens to be but it requires 200 sf workspace which I do not have and cannot afford.

What would Picasso have done if he didn't have a studio in which to work?

Old 04-01-2017, 12:37 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have a self-employment skill that would allow me to earn many times whatever the minimum wage happens to be but it requires 200 sf workspace which I do not have and cannot afford.

What would Picasso have done if he didn't have a studio in which to work?
He wouldn't have wasted 6 years griping about it online.

People who have passion find a way to succeed vs. looking for excuses.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Welcome back from your "vacation".

You posted this same thread a few weeks ago, only that time it was $500.
Last week the middle clas was decimated by property taxes (also the fault of liberals and RINOs).

Old 04-01-2017, 05:33 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
When times were good, Americans bought more toys and more everything.

When times started losing that prosperity, Americans hocked their homes so they could buy more toys.

And when their homes were lost and the toys sold for whatever they could get, some blamed the liberals for their spending spree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies