Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Following Religions Compatible with Western Culture???
Buddhism is NOT Compatible 1 0.99%
Hinduism is NOT Compatible 0 0%
Islam is NOT Compatible 60 59.41%
All Three Religions are NOT Compatible 12 11.88%
All Three Religions ARE Compatible 28 27.72%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:12 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times

Advertisements

Christianity wouldn't be compatible with western culture if we followed the bible to the letter. Christianity has been effectively neutered by centuries of secular thought, other religions, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 05:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
We know that Islam is not compatible with Western civilization, because we can look at nations where Islam is the majority religion and we see that - by accident or by design/interference of religion - that those societies end up being the polar opposite of what we value in the west.

- Poor outcomes for women
- Severe third class status for religious minorities
- No LGBT rights
- No sexual or expressive freedom of speech
- Racial and ethnic minorities tend to not fare well either

This really isn't debatable. There are basically NO progressive Muslim societies. And guess what kids, Islam is the only religion that's actually growing. So think about what THAT'S going to look like 100 years or so from now if you're actually a progressive/liberal --- or even libertarian --- person.

Islam is also a "revealed" religion. It is different fundamentally than Buddhism and Hinduism - and even Christianity - in many ways. Not least of which the fact that its founder was NOT peaceful. He was a violent warlord. Again, this is not debatable. Also, unlike the Bible, the latter portions of the Koran are actually more violent than early portions, and the latter parts abrogate the earlier parts. The "peace" in Islam only comes when the entire world is Muslim and there's a worldwide caliphate. THAT'S the part that apologists always leave out.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Christianity wouldn't be compatible with western culture if we followed the bible to the letter. Christianity has been effectively neutered by centuries of secular thought, other religions, not so much.
But it's a paradox, no? Because the enlightenment and secular thought process grew OUT of the experiences of Western peoples (including Latin America) reacting to and against the church.

And there was enough leeway in the church and Christianity to accept secularism. Islam has no tradition of that. It is 2017 and we still debate whether it's acceptable to even draw Mohammed as a CARTOON.

We don't have several hundred years to wait around for Islam to go through its reformation. What value does it bring to western society otherwise?

Old 03-31-2017, 06:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
None of the above prevents women in Christian-dominated societies from being independent of men.
Interestingly enough, before the extremists took over Muslim-centric regions in other countries, PLENTY of women were independent of men. Look at Afghanistan in the 60s. Perhaps the problem isn't the religion itself but the application and interpretation of religious law by people already given to extremist attitudes. See: Quiverful movement, Duggars, Mormonism, anti-evolution education stance.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
What ever your opinions, the law of this land, gives them freedom to worship as they see fit.
Including Satanism, if that is your bag.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That's really hard with Islam because it is more than just a religion. It is a system of laws and governance. The non observant Muslims are just like everybody else, but the devout raise some problems. There was a devout Muslim that worked in the same building as me on my last assignment. He looked at his feet when I walked by and refused to speak to me because I am a woman. Now how do you reconcile that with a country where you can be sued for sexual discrimination?

And that's just a start...
Conservative Islamic and Orthdox Jewish tradition share many viewpoints as it relates to men's interactions with women.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Islam teachings are NOT compatible because I know of no Americans that want their heads chopped off ,driven over,blown up or shot at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, lethal injection is the American way.
+1. I find it amusing that people such as Taratova conveniently forget all the incredibly violent teachings in the Bible that Christians ironically call the "Good Book." Not only that, the Quran has many passages discussing love, acceptance, and caring toward others. But many Christians, instead of actually reading the Quran or meeting Muslims to discuss their religion, simply declare the entire religion to be a violent one based on the actions of a few people. And let's not forget how many homicides occur in the US on a regular basis by people who aren't Muslim. Some of these people are even members of the Christian clergy

Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Buddhism is compatible because it is not strictly a religion so much as philosophical belief. Buddha made it clear that he taught a way of living, of achieving inner peace, practicing the Dhamma (understanding and healing one's own nature or one's own quality or character) to overcome Dukkha ("suffering", "pain" or "unhappiness".)

While Christ taught much the same, his was as a savior, a path to God. Buddha taught a path to understanding ones self. I see no reason why they cannot compliment each other. Hinduism is much the same, however I'm not familiar enough to form an opinion.for their religion, race, or sex. I only hate, literally hate, hypocrites... which I guess is my shortcoming.
In basic theory, a Buddhist should not pick up arms and harm another human (or any life)....

Christians seem to glorify in it if you look at certain parts of our armed services.

I know the real world differs from theory - but Christians are many times more violent in the real world than their actual philosophy should make them. Bad translations I guess. Or, a good way of wiping out other religions.

Islam is not my personal fave. However, if it has a different name (Christian) and "stood up for itself" we might have different views on it. I think that is what turns a lot of people off to Islam - the followers are pretty smart and good warriors.

On the other hand, that small % of Muslims who still believe in the "enslavement" and "convert" thing need a little updating. Islam needs it's own reformation. It seems other religions have done this in order to fit into the modern world.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Same is true about Buddhism and Induism. The Buddhism and Induism some Westerners adhere to (yoga, meditation and all that) are just watered down versions, made palatable for the Western audience. Real practices of the Oriental religions: the Indian set-in-iron caste system with not a chance of social mobility, the worship of the cow or the Buddhist strict ascetisism would not go down well here.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Liberals don't care who, or what Religion or ideology is allowed into this Country or any Western Country. They all live in Disneyland, where everyone lives happily ever after. Adding Islam to a Western Society is like adding oil to water. It doesn't mix. The other do mix, and do not try to force their beliefs on others or don't have "Infidels." Sharia Law is worse than Barbarian Laws in History. Those who believe in it and/or practice it, are a threat to humanity and life.
First mosque in the US was created in the 1920's by Syrians in North Dakota.

Majority of Sharia Law covers financial and family disputes.

Like many religions, Islam is none too keen with homosexuality. The Quran does not however, prescribe punishment.

Plenty of countries ban Sodomy and they are not all Muslim majority countries. Conversely, some Muslim majority countries do not have such laws.

Closer to home, in 1960, every US state had a Sodomy Law on the books. Punishments included heavy fines and/ or imprisionment with some states denying voting rights and/ or driver's licenses to anyone convicted of the crime of Sodomy.

It was not until 2003 that SCOTUS ruled that state and municipal Sodomy laws were unconstitutional. Nonetheless, the laws remain on the books in 13 states and do so as a stand for Christian values.

No shortage of countries in the world that have laws rooted in religion and it's certainly not limited to Islam.

Several of the original Puritan colonies banned acknowledgement of Christmas or celebrations. In other words, the original War on Christmas was waged by Christians. Immigrants refused to assimilate and eventually laws were changed.

Politicians have used religion as a tool to control the masses, since forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies