Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:08 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why Can't the Fifth Largest Economy on Earth provide Universal Single Payer Health Care?

Paying for the world's most expensive military by far certainly can't help.
I tend to agree (understatement). The Corporatocracy model is most likely not doing anyone, meaning the people, any favors either.

Quote:
If Wal-Mart were a country, its revenues would make it on par with the GDP of the 25th largest economy in the world by, surpassing 157 smaller countries.

We've found 25 major American corporations whose 2010 revenues surpass the 2010 Gross Domestic Product of entire countries, often with a few billion to spare.

Even some major countries like Norway, Thailand, and New Zealand can be bested by certain U.S. firms.
25 US Mega Corporations: Where They Rank If They Were Countries - Business Insider

This ideology is most likely not helping anyone either (meaning the people):

The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits

http://www.colorado.edu/studentgroup...-business.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Why Can't the Fifth Largest Economy on Earth provide Universal Single Payer Health Care?

How much of California's budget goes to the military?

Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Looks like even Jerry Brown knows it can't be done.
I believe it is being discussed and looked into. Maybe if California got its' tax revenue back it could happen. I believe it gets 70 cents back for every dollar in Federal taxes paid. What, I believe, we call - red states - take more than they contribute. Not sure these red states want CA to take away their gravy train, no?

Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because I don't want my dr office to look like the DMV. Every government that provide universal coverage rations care.
That's amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think California should come up with their own universal healthcare plan. Massachusetts does it. It should be a state thing, not a federal thing. That way, everyone in charge is entirely accountable to their voters. You don't get that accountability at the federal level.
Good point.

Quote:

Maintaining the supremacy of the US Dollar is paramount, since it affects Standard of Living and Life-Style.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I believe it is being discussed and looked into. Maybe if California got its' tax revenue back it could happen. I believe it gets 70 cents back for every dollar in Federal taxes paid. What, I believe, we call - red states - take more than they contribute. Not sure these red states want CA to take away their gravy train, no?
Californian breaks even in re to federal taxes vs federal spending towards ca.

In January 2017, the California Legislative Analyst’s Office said by several measures California is, indeed, a donor state, but just barely. It receives $0.99 in federal expenditures per dollar of taxes paid, which is below the national average return for states of $1.22 per dollar paid, according to its review of a 2015 New York Comptroller study.
http://www.politifact.com/california...re-it-gets-dc/

Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Do some people not understand we are talking about California?

Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
The answer to this question is quite simple - and is relevant in MA and VT and other states which desire (and/or are close) to Universal Health Care.

States are STILL part of the USA and subject to the high costs (Pharma, medical devices, norms of salaries, building and capital costs) that our entire system is based upon.

Putting it another way - our current cost per person in the USA is 10.5K per person per year.
If the cost in CA or the USA was, as it is in the TOP health care countries in the world, 30-40% lower - then it would be quite easy to provide universal health care.

So - in summary - what California and other states are saying is "we can't afford that Wall Street Driven Predatory Capitalism 2X the price health care".

Nothing wrong with that! We obviously need to shave down the costs so states CAN. Also, as others may have mentioned, the US Government picks up 2/3 of the nation's costs - so CA would have to make sure they get al their tax money back (and even debt and deficit spending money) before attempting this.

Complaining about CA not being able to afford this is like saying "Yeah, at Whole Foods Prices we can't afford to feed the poor". Of course we can't. We need wholesale pricing, not the ripoff we current all face.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Californian breaks even in re to federal taxes vs federal spending towards ca.

In January 2017, the California Legislative Analyst’s Office said by several measures California is, indeed, a donor state, but just barely. It receives $0.99 in federal expenditures per dollar of taxes paid, which is below the national average return for states of $1.22 per dollar paid, according to its review of a 2015 New York Comptroller study.
Does California give more than it gets from Washington D.C.? | PolitiFact California
Thanks. Good article. It addressed my number. I meant to say 78 cents. Glad to see we do get back 99 cents instead. That's a better return. Certainly not as good as the average but better than my original number. Anyway, glad to read it!!!

Old 03-30-2017, 09:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I tend to agree (understatement). The Corporatocracy model is most likely not doing anyone, meaning the people, any favors either.

25 US Mega Corporations: Where They Rank If They Were Countries - Business Insider

This ideology is most likely not helping anyone either (meaning the people):

The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits

The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits, by Milton Friedman
I work for a large multinational corporation. They pay my salary and 85% of my healthcare premiums.

The social responsibilty of myself is to support me and my family. I do that by working for corporations that seek profits.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Short answer? Because 50% of us not only don't pay taxes they get money back they didn't pay in. In short, we simply don't pay enough in taxes so support universal health care. Get the bottom half to pay their share and it might be another story.
If they want to be like Canada or England, they all would be paying for it. And there would probably be a value added tax on goods and services so everyone pays that lives there, even illegals. It would be a good way to see what works and what doesn't. California is more similar to the demographics of the country than Massachusetts is, so it would be a better test lab for what could work in other areas. They won't do it right though. They would expect only wealthy to pay and then it would go broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies