Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 02:12 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Funny how the same people who object so strongly to people sticking their nose in the business of others won't let a baker refuse to bake a cake.
This doesn't really contribute anything to the discussion, but I guess I will take the bait, anyway.

In the first place, these are two separate issues.

In the second place, you are equating pregnancy and the question of human life with a CAKE?

I have been, at times in my life, on both sides of the abortion issue, and I still feel somewhat conflicted about it. Either way, your analogy is weak. If one is pro-life, your argument trivializes the right of the unborn to live. If one is pro-choice, it trivializes the right of a woman to opt out of something that will take nine months of her life. No cake takes that long to bake.

Please find a better way of supporting your viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 03:03 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
One side sees abortion as the murder of the most innocent and vulnerable of life, and the other side sees it as simply removing a tumor. There are many issues on which people disagree, but none so vehemently. Each side will fight with a fury that has to be seen to be believed. Is Abortion fundamental to all other issues? If so, why?
Religion.

If you base your entire life on something and someone goes against it, you're going to have a major problem with whatever that is. This is the same reason why feminists freak out about the things they do or conspiracy theory theists freak out about the things they do.

Emotion>logic

Old 04-01-2017, 03:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
One side sees abortion as the murder of the most innocent and vulnerable of life, and the other side sees it as simply removing a tumor. There are many issues on which people disagree, but none so vehemently. Each side will fight with a fury that has to be seen to be believed. ?
Well, yeah.
If you really think it's murder, it makes perfect sense that you'd be outraged at the routine and institutionalized practice of it.
I mean, are you not outraged by the holocaust?

On the other hand, if you think it's a violation for someone to tell you what you can and can't do to your body (like, you know, slavery), then you might be similarly outraged that you cannot get an abortion.

The very nature of what you believe is what makes it necessarily polarizing.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:15 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Seems like Republican men are the most concerned acting. I don't know why they can't leave this issue to women to hammer out. Men wouldn't sit still letting women make decisions of a sexual nature up to women.
There are millions of pro-life women. Go to a pro-life rally and most are women. Yours is a bogus argument.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:22 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Obviously, the 250 women, men and children civilians just killed in Mosul and Yemen on Trump orders (he changed the standards for who calls in the bombs).....don't have value.

How many pro-lifers shed a single tear? How many are protesting? They won't even when 10,000 die or 100,000 die because it's NOT about the value of life. It's about their own egos and a false pedestal to stand upon.
I've condemned these actions for years........granted, as a very small minority. This is a valid point.........

This is a very hypocritical position out of many. Yes, out of the pro-life side. We are slaughtering tens of thousands innocent people all around the world. There are no marches on D.C. Many of these are women and children just trying to make it through their day. Why are there no protests? I do not know. A sense of a different religious belief which no longer makes their lives worth protecting? Makes me wonder and makes me very upset.

On the other hand the anti-war "left" largely dissapeared under Obama. Not only did they go into hiding they have emerged to root for war with Russia now.

People condemn religion with some justifications but politics are every bit as bad.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:29 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
One side sees abortion as the murder of the most innocent and vulnerable of life, and the other side sees it as simply removing a tumor. There are many issues on which people disagree, but none so vehemently. Each side will fight with a fury that has to be seen to be believed. Is Abortion fundamental to all other issues? If so, why?
Nope, we don't see it as 'simply removing a tumor' ( your words) but as the removal of a human right, a woman's right, to control her own body. We see it as a huge step backwards, back to the horrifying dark ages where women sought illegal abortions or tried aborting their fetus themselves. And a question... Why is everything so black and white to a conservative? The idea that you either see it as a baby or a tumor shows how narrow your thinking is.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:32 AM

6,744 posts, read 3,361,971 times
One thing about the abortion issue is that there is no in-between, no gray areas. A person either aborts or they don't, and like any other either/or question people have strong opinions, probably more so when it comes to abortion.

I am not fond of abortion, but I will say that I don't believe government should be making the rules on this. It is maybe the most contentious issue we have today and there are no easy answers.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:21 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
One thing about the abortion issue is that there is no in-between, no gray areas. A person either aborts or they don't, and like any other either/or question people have strong opinions, probably more so when it comes to abortion.

I am not fond of abortion, but I will say that I don't believe government should be making the rules on this. It is maybe the most contentious issue we have today and there are no easy answers.
Actually, I think the problem is that there are a lot of gray areas, but only two possible outcomes. That's what makes it so difficult, at least for people like me, who have mixed feelings about it.

Ultimately, I probably agree with you, in terms of government action. What I would have done had I ever found myself pregnant as a young woman...I honestly don't know. I wouldn't have wanted to be pregnant, but I would have felt guilty as hell about ending a pregnancy. The fact that I really can't say what I would have done myself makes it awfully hard to judge anyone else about how they feel, either way.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:35 AM

35,669 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
By your logic we should not lock up murderers because they are simply exercising free will. Aren't we forcing our will on them by locking them up? How about rapists? Shouldn't they have free will?

We force our will on others when others would harm other people. Heck we lock people up if they hurt animals. But we're supposed to just sit by and allow human beings in their most vulnerable state to be killed and chalk it up to free will?
This is true and there is where the line is drawn- the person is inside the womb- inside the mother where she has dominion- IT is her body- and because it is still one --with the mother- she has the legal right- to decide--
that is the point -
I am NOT for abortion- only for the legal right for the MOTHER to decide- as it is part of her body- and nobody else should get involved in that- If we cannot approve to chemically castrate sex offenders-or put them to death- yet they impregnate a woman- not only can she NOT abort--- but he gets visitation and father's rights--- WTH
This is all about control- and some of the states that are against pro-choice also carry other laws or trying to pass-laws that curtail women's freedom- as well-

Old 04-01-2017, 11:43 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I am pro choice and I could not have an abortion unless I was raped. If I was with someone I loved, I would have the child. The zealots that insist that every pregnant woman has to reproduce should step up and raise those children. I wonder how many would be pro choice if they had to register and take a few?

It is a personal choice and the one size fits all mentality should not be so arrogant. One size does not fit all. Nor should everyone conform to your belief system just because you think you're right. If you want to interfere go to China or India where they routinely kill baby girls. Life is cheap there. Go to the Sudan and feed those starving kids, but don't think you have the right to tell another person what to do with their body or their future. It's none of your business.

The conflict lies with a belief system that has zero respect for another persons way of life, and that's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies