Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
IMO, I don't think this is a new thing --- disability started ballooning and becoming the 'new' unemployment with the 2008 downturn. As soon as the economy (finally!) turns up, disability will take a downturn. This is not news, nor rocket-science.
These people don't get off of disability. They get used to it and stay on it. Here's something really disturbing about these towns in the South so used to disability. When that Eric Conn was found to have made millions from fraudulent Disability claims, they tried to stop the payments while they evaluated each one.

"The move was a blow in Eastern Kentucky, where disability income is a significant part of the economy."

The agency decided not to cut off off checks during the re-determination process after Republican U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers interceded.

Well-known disability lawyer Eric Conn pleads guilty in federal fraud case | Lexington Herald Leader

Got that? Eastern Kentucky's economy significantly depends on Disability! Funded by taxpayers! Of course their congressman kept the money flowing.

Can't stand Trump but the one positive is reducing our taxes and turning this spigot of money off. Exactly why are so many people in Eastern Kentucky on Disability? Did a plague hit? So tired of my tax dollars going to places like that but how poetic that the guy they voted for ends up turning off their free ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:25 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If they were able to work, they are NOT disabled. They are unemployed. You can't have it both ways. Even Steven Hawking is able to work.

Yes, they still may be disabled. If I capitalize random words, does that help with comprehension?

Some are able to overcome their barriers to employment with other skills and abilities that are attractive enough to employers that they are willing to overlook their disabilities.

Sometimes the demand for labor is so high, that employers are willing to overlook the accommodations required to employ someone with a disability. When times are good, people with cognitive disabilities have more employment prospects because the competition is less fierce. If the economy is in the toilet and employers have their pick of people, then those disabilities become a barrier to employment.

Economic situation has a huge impact on employability of those with disabilities. Huge.

As does employment environment.

For example:

Steven Hawking has a brilliant brain. His physical disabilities impact his ability to communicate, but not his ability to think.**

He was born in a family where his mother attended Oxford in the 1930's and the family all read at the dinner table. Even with his brilliant brain, imagine his employment prospects had he been born and raised in a West Virginia coal mining town, watching Duck Dynasty during dinner. He might have been able to earn a living until the ALS reached a certain impact, then what would he have done?

** “Trump was elected by people who felt disenfranchised by the governing elite in a revolt against globalisation,” he told ITV1’s breakfast programme. “His priority will be to satisfy his electorate, who are neither liberal nor that well informed.” Steven Hawking

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...tain-interview

Old 05-03-2017, 07:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
These are the same people that hated Obamacare (they receive Medicare when they receive Disability) and scream about welfare, etc. This article portrays them more pitifully than some others and I could be more sympathetic to them if they weren't so unsympathetic to others. They are 100% supported by taxpayers and they elected Trump.
Think you meant Medicaid, not Medicare.

I know the minute I cross the border from Illinois to Indiana. Drivers are innundated with roadside billboards advertising SSDI attornies and personal injury lawyers. The signage screams " somebody has to pay".

Old 05-03-2017, 07:35 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
...seems that disability has become the new cash crop of rural America...good thing that Trump is committed to ending this sort of abuse--most of these people can work...at something...so they're just moochers--I'm sure they know how to say, "Would you like fries with that?"

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBz3WsM?m=en-us
Yep, it is the new welfare. The only way one should be able to collect disability is being completely unable to work, I know several who are able but cheat the system anyway.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:42 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yep, it is the new welfare. The only way one should be able to collect disability is being completely unable to work, I know several who are able but cheat the system anyway.
Doctors have to agree. A person cannot cheat the disability system alone. It takes a team of professionals.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:45 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
lol, the Obama Admin lowered the acceptance for SSDI so this could happen. Now Lefties see something wrong with it.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
If you are young and disabled, that's the criteria SS uses, but as you get older Social Security relies more on grid rules which might exempt heavy manual labor from a feasible job for a 55 year old https://www.socialsecuritydisability...he-ssdi-grids/

Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Think you meant Medicaid, not Medicare.

I know the minute I cross the border from Illinois to Indiana. Drivers are innundated with roadside billboards advertising SSDI attornies and personal injury lawyers. The signage screams " somebody has to pay".
Some disabilities qualify you for Medicare.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
The govt needs to force them to work somehow but you're still missing the point this is a problem in inner cities and housing projects as well. At least in the inner cities there are more jobs and public transportation too...what's their excuse? I think in more rural areas these people have nothing else to replace the job they used to do so they just say fudge it and work the system.

Also they probably get more money from disability than if they took a lower paying job than there previous one. The govt federal or state neither one don't force them to do anything. If the disability is from back issues or leg issues or something they can still technically do a sit down job. The govt should pile on busy work on them like stuffing envelopes or something for a certain agency. Make them do something, anything.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Some disabilities qualify you for Medicare.
If you qualify for SSDI you are put on medicare 2 years after your initial eligibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies