Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
What is freaky is that he calls his wife MOTHER. I hate it when friends wives call their husband DADDY also. Just something so wrong with the thought of it...
Well, don't come to Japan then, where it is has long been the norm for household members to refer to each other by their relationship to the children in the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
These "traditional" views are no longer practical in today's world. It's beyond asinine that in 2017, a man feels he cannot meet with a woman in a business or government setting without a chaperone.
He said, in 2002, that he didn't dine alone with women other than his wife. He did not say that he didn't meet with women alone in government settings.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:11 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
It makes me puke actually but so does any kind of idea of being held back from temptation.
His personal life is none of my business, just like Muslims personal beliefs aren't any of my business. I don't like it for myself, nor do I like it for my close friends because I would have such a good view of it that I'd be TEMPTED lol to say something rude.

He put it out there though, so he deserves what he gets. He knows the drill.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It makes me puke actually but so does any kind of idea of being held back from temptation.
His personal life is none of my business, just like Muslims personal beliefs aren't any of my business. I don't like it for myself, nor do I like it for my close friends because I would have such a good view of it that I'd be TEMPTED lol to say something rude.

He put it out there though, so he deserves what he gets. He knows the drill.
The idea of a married man being serious enough about his marriage vows that he takes some practical steps to avoid temptation is physically revolting to you? Actually?

This thread is a perfect storm expose of modern liberal attitudes. We see:

- mockery of the ideal of monogamous marriage.

- attempts to mock, debase and attribute low motives to an individual who values his marriage and tries hard to be a faithful husband.

- denial of basic human nature, especially the fact that some women throw themselves at powerful men, and that men in positions of power like Pence need to be strict with themselves if they want to accomplish the goal of being faithful to their wives.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:20 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
He said, in 2002, that he didn't dine alone with women other than his wife. He did not say that he didn't meet with women alone in government settings.
This.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Let's just reiterate -- although I am seemingly objecting to Pence's statement --

1. I'm not FREAKING OUT over it.
2. Would have given the whole issue a passing glance if it wasn't for some of the outrageous, sexist, ridiculous comments being made by those trying to 'support' Pence. They seem to be more concerned about this whole statement than most of us.
3. A man can respect a woman in many ways. Making sure he doesn't have dinner by himself with another woman is not one of the ways high up on the list. It doesn't make him honorable...it is just a silly, funny, rule. Being honorable and respectable takes more than that -- much much more.
4. Because a man has dinner with another woman that is not his wife, does not mean he isn't in a monogamous relationship.
5. Some women may thrown themselves at a man - - powerful or not -- but not all. Some men sleep around too - and not because the woman threw herself at him but because he sleeps around. And he may not have dinner alone with a woman other than his wife. Dinner with a man is not foreplay......not a prerequisite to having sex. There is no logic in assuming dinner then sex has to happen.
6. It was a silly comment, maybe his wife found it cute...I think it is silly, shows how he sees women in a sexual serving way not as equals.

In society we always talk about how primal the sexual urges are in men......I am beginning to think that most of the comments supporting Pence's valiant efforts to stay monogamous by avoiding one on one interactions with women is because this stereotype is more true than I knew -- and that most of these defenders are men who just have trouble controlling their sexual urges. LOL.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:04 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
When did the OP and other republicans become snowflakes?

Making up things to get outraged about, LOL!

Liberals aren't "freaking out" over Pence. This was reported months ago and nobody brought it up until now except other republicans.
I knew nothing about this until posted here but once I learned about it, it has made me upset. The idea that Pence wouldn't meet with female world leaders without his wife present to keep an eye on things has made me mad. It's ridiculous. If he is unable to do his job without dragging his wife along he shouldn't have accepted it.

Or is he saying on some other level that females shouldn't be in these positions? Eff him. I've said it before and will again. As bad as Trump is, I DO NOT want him gone for Pence to replace him.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I didn't vote for Trump but the stuff I'm seeing from the far far left is disgusting. I mean just ugly mean spirited personal attacks against a man for the stupidest stuff imaginable. Like a bunch of stupid five yr olds. I swear. No one can say anything even remotely positive about Pence. I mean I don't care for his views but can respect his way he chooses to conduct himself in this arena. Nothing wrong with using a little precaution. It's not that big of a deal really.
It is a big deal. Let's go to the idea that Pence would be president. It is their job to meet with world leaders. Some times this must be done one on one. If I'm Angela Merkel and Pence told me he would not do this, I'd tell him to go walk off a cliff.

Basically he is telling the country he would NOT be able to do the duties of a president. It is a big deal.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I knew nothing about this until posted here but once I learned about it, it has made me upset. The idea that Pence wouldn't meet with female world leaders without his wife present to keep an eye on things has made me mad. It's ridiculous. If he is unable to do his job without dragging his wife along he shouldn't have accepted it.

Or is he saying on some other level that females shouldn't be in these positions? Eff him. I've said it before and will again. As bad as Trump is, I DO NOT want him gone for Pence to replace him.
I think most responders here, perhaps you as well, did not read the article itself but are responding to tweets from an author who was pushing the article she wrote. In other words, people seem to be reacting to other peoples' reactions, echoing them.

That's real intelligent, isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It is a big deal. Let's go to the idea that Pence would be president. It is their job to meet with world leaders. Some times this must be done one on one. If I'm Angela Merkel and Pence told me he would not do this, I'd tell him to go walk off a cliff.

Basically he is telling the country he would NOT be able to do the duties of a president. It is a big deal.
I did not find a direct link to that. Can you post it please? Or are you just opinionating based on opinion?

Old 04-01-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I think most responders here, perhaps you as well, did not read the article itself but are responding to tweets from an author who was pushing the article she wrote. In other words, people seem to be reacting to other peoples' reactions, echoing them.

That's real intelligent, isn't it.
Does Pence hold these beliefs or not?

Quote:
I did not find a direct link to that. Can you post it please? Or are you just opinionating based on opinion?
Is this his belief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies