Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:16 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Here we go again, "You are stupid", "No, you are stupid". No one will actually address the ramifications of this if true.

For the third time, does this mean he could not have a private meeting with Angela Merkel without his wife there? Does this mean he could not have a business meeting with a female unless his wife comes along?v

If he had a female boss would he quit his job as you on occasion have to have private meetings with your boss.

Could you even imagine? "Mike, I have some questions about a deal you are working on. Could we discuss this over lunch"?

"Well, I will have to bring my wife".

No, this is not OK. It's so backwards to not even be fathomable to me.
Could you even imagine? "Mike, I have some questions about a deal you are working on. Could we discuss this over lunch"?

"Why don't we meet in my office instead?"

Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Lots of politicians comport themselves in ways that are not representative of me. This is pretty mild as those things go...
Until and unless someone is willing to address the ramifications of his beliefs I have to see it as very backwards and condenscending towards women. Not all that mild.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Problem solved.
You are still alone. It could be a client you are trying to get his business also. A dinner meeting is pretty standard.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The Age of Sexual Harassment created this - maybe not for Pence specifically but for the climate in which someone would go to these lengths. Allegations whether legitimate or false are the reason that men, especially men in power, might do this. We can thank lecherous bosses and lying underlings/coworkers (both of those things happen) for a workplace that would cause a man (or woman) to go to these extreme measures for self preservation. Is it right? Perhaps not. But until people change their behavior this is the reality we live in. I sat in a class every year for 20 years telling me all about the sexual harassment policy my agency sternly followed. Just my take on this whole ridiculous matter. One ought to acknowledge a reason people act the way they do.
It's called the Billy Graham rule. He started following that rule for himself after an associate tried to seduce him under the pretext of a business meeting, I believe.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
It's called the Billy Graham rule. He started following that rule for himself after an associate tried to seduce him under the pretext of a business meeting, I believe.
It's an entirely different thing for Billy Graham and the leaders of a country.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Some are going as far as comparing it to "Sharia law." Are they bitter that Pence isn't some cheater like Bill Clinton? Are they angry he is a faithful husband? I can't wrap my head around this.
For the most part, it's just partisan hyper-criticism. For some people, they see Pence's attitude on this as symptomatic of a more prevalent misogyny in many of the political positions he takes, and the political policies he supports.

My take is that his personal life is his personal life, and I'm more concerned with the policies he works to enact.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:

Problem solved.
Which setting is more private? At least a restaurant is a public place. Perhaps Pence gets aroused just by watching women eat.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
What the heck are you talking about? No one gives a hoot about Pence's wife.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
For the most part, it's just partisan hyper-criticism. For some people, they see Pence's attitude on this as symptomatic of a more prevalent misogyny in many of the political positions he takes, and the political policies he supports.

My take is that his personal life is his personal life, and I'm more concerned with the policies he works to enact.
Pences' personal life spills into the policies Pence enacts. Lets take a look at what happened in Indiana while Pence was governor there.

Quote:
Pence’s personal beliefs trumped public health recommendations and led to an outbreak of HIV and hepatitis in Scott County, Indiana.
Quote:
Pence opposed the emergency funding for Zika.
Quote:
Pence has a history of voting against public health funding, including the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. While Pence professes belief in “the sanctity of life,” this appears to end at birth.
Quote:
Pence co-sponsored a bill to redefine rape--to “forcible rape,”
Quote:
Mike Pence, recently joined North Dakota in signing a bill prohibiting abortion even in the case of serious fetal abnormality—like microcephaly.
Quote:
In 2015, Pence, a pro-life extremist, tried to get a law passed forcing women to have burials or cremations for aborted or miscarried fetuses, and prohibiting tissue use for research. (The law was blocked by a federal judge.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judysto.../#32e9179d56aa

Old 04-03-2017, 12:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yes.

Being a misogynist does spill over into his policy making.

It's funny that many current Republicans are worried about woman-hating religious extremists but support a vice-president who is a woman-hating religious extremist.

I say this is a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies