Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:21 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that is what we have today. That is what we have to live with. Speak out against it and you are labeled protectionist.
Ok, yes, we have some sort of bastardized, diluted, distorted version of the free market. I can't argue that. But don't say that the free market is not the solution and then point to current circumstances as proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I ain't no expert on this subject by any stretch but, seems to me there is already an experienced, reliable platform already in use - KC135

Why couldn't this aircraft - one of the most reliable in history (707) be updated, modern avionics etc and be put back into production?

After all, the 135 is being used TODAY, regularly and reliably

Why go to an untested platform?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:46 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_1975 View Post
How many people drive Honda, Toyota and Nissan? Did they think about American workers when they did not buy a car made by an American company?
There's a Toyota factory not far from Tampa, where I live. Hyundai's are being made in Alabama and Honda is opening a factory near my home town, my mother has applied for a job there.

Besides, buying cars made by foreign companies who make them better is nothing like outsourcing NATIONAL DEFENSE contracts.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:48 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I ain't no expert on this subject by any stretch but, seems to me there is already an experienced, reliable platform already in use - KC135

Why couldn't this aircraft - one of the most reliable in history (707) be updated, modern avionics etc and be put back into production?

I agree, stick to what works. The Osprey has sure been tested, and failed. But they insist on using it.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

Aren't they also using a military version of the DC-10 as tankers these days?

As far as replacing the fleet perhaps tankers so often carrying max loads makes fatigue a factor and they have a finite service life?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As far as replacing the fleet perhaps tankers so often carrying max loads makes fatigue a factor and they have a finite service life?
I agree with the above. The only thing I would mention though is, the 707 (KC135) has been in use for a very, very, very long time - it's useful life has been tremendous (as has the DC10 platform).

I would, if I were in charge, use a proven platform -

Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I agree with the above. The only thing I would mention though is, the 707 (KC135) has been in use for a very, very, very long time - it's useful life has been tremendous (as has the DC10 platform).

I would, if I were in charge, use a proven platform -

And speaking of service life we should hope every aircraft in the inventory has the life of the B-52, what an airplane.

I only caught the tail end of the news segment about the tanker issue but I believe one of the reasons given was increased fuel capacity of the AirBus. KC-135 has had a long service life, I'm guessing they reach a point where maintenance plus updating avionics, engines, etc. becomes more costly than replacement. From what I've heard the F-14 required about 75 maintenance hours per flight hour while its replacement FA-18 cut that down to 50. Maybe similar benefit with newer tanker conversions?

Last edited by burdell; 03-08-2008 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 AM

251 posts, read 895,755 times
I am saying all these people fussing over a product from another country are probably the same ones that do not and never have bought American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
So would pay say $10000 extra dollars for the same car made by gm? Assume everything is the same except the american is $10000 more. Building cars is an international investment, even american companies are using parts from other countries are the suppliers get a lot of there supplies from all kinds of countries. American cars are assembled in america but the parts are from all over the world.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 AM

251 posts, read 895,755 times
Hey, I am all for the contract and EADS. You say foreign companies that make them better, talking about cars. How do you know EADS does not make them better than Boeing? Northrop Grumman is going to be handeling the "defense" part.

Those that are fussing about EADS getting the contract and sending jobs into other countries is my point. Or should I ask if you even read the link I posted already?

I know there are auto's being made in Alabama by companies from other countrys. There has been for a while now, namely Mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
There's a Toyota factory not far from Tampa, where I live. Hyundai's are being made in Alabama and Honda is opening a factory near my home town, my mother has applied for a job there.

Besides, buying cars made by foreign companies who make them better is nothing like outsourcing NATIONAL DEFENSE contracts.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_1975 View Post
I am saying all these people fussing over a product from another country are probably the same ones that do not and never have bought American.
Of course that's what you're saying, and based on nothing but your desire to find a reason to disregard their arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies