Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 07:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I had measles in 1949 at 6 months old because my Mom never nursed me. Hospitalized? Go to a doctor? Nope. We unvaccinated for measles are your parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, and number in the millions. So you are worried about unvaccinated children? Are you worried about us too?

BTW, when mothers had had the measles (not MMR) themselves, their OB's were not worried about infants catching measles because their Moms (my kids born in 1979 and 1984) passed their natural immunity on to them, and through their breast milk which my own Mom didn't.

BTW, show me the link that that baby died. I think that is false. I believe there was a Washington woman who died but she HAD been vaccinated and had other medical issues.
Measles antibodies are passed from mother to fetus during the last trimester of a term pregnancy, not through nursing. Premature infants often have immature immune systems and do not benefit from this passive immunity.

Also, this immunity passed from mother to fetus does not last much longer than six months.

Quote:
If a pregnant woman has either been vaccinated against measles or had measles, she will pass antibodies against the virus on to her child through the placenta. This form of immunity is known as passive immunity.

Once they are born, babies maintain this passive immunity for about the first six to eight months of their lives, before it starts to wane
. Measles Outbreak, Measles Vaccine: Top Questions Answered

Old 04-03-2017, 07:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

https://luckylosing.com/tag/measles/

Old 04-03-2017, 08:01 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
every time a doctor tells a patient that a flu vccine will prevent them from getting the flu, they put the notion into the patients mind that it ill in fact prevent them from getting the flu, and then they are surprised when later on they get the flu.

lets start with the idea of getting a flu vaccine EVERY YEAR. what do flu antibodies die over time? are these vaccines timed to run out at the end of the year thus needing to get one every year?
I know the flu shot is a 50/50 chance. This year (the first time in 16 years) I got the flu shot because I didn't want to be sick all year like I was last year. Will I get the flu shot next year. Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am predicting there are going to be a lot of people with HPV associated cancers in the future who are going to be very angry at their parents for not vaccinating them against HPV. Cervical cancer is not the only one HPV causes, and men get cancer from it too.

There are no unimportant vaccines. No one would waste time and money making a vaccine for a disease that did not have the potential for severe consequences. Every disease for which we have a vaccine for children can maim and kill.

You need to read about the Dunning-Kruger effect. Parents who refuse vaccines because of what they read on the internet are a classic example. They do not know as much as they think they do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect
Here's the part that I'm seriously questioning about the HPV vaccination. It covers at most 9 strains of 100+. There is no test for men to see if they test positive for HPV. The big flag for me is in 2016 the recommendations from the CDC reduces the required 3 shots to 2 for certain ages. It's one of the vaccinations I am really on the fence about.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
You could just do what doctors and scientists recommend. I know, that's so crazy.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Here's the part that I'm seriously questioning about the HPV vaccination. It covers at most 9 strains of 100+. There is no test for men to see if they test positive for HPV. The big flag for me is in 2016 the recommendations from the CDC reduces the required 3 shots to 2 for certain ages. It's one of the vaccinations I am really on the fence about.
It only covers nine strains but those strains cause up to 90 percent of cervical, vulvar, vaginal and anal cancers. That does not even include head and neck cancers. Perhaps they will eventually include more strains. It will depend on whether it is cost effective to do it.

There is no way to test men for HPV but that really does not make a difference. The vaccine is nearly 100% effective against the included strains. The crucial thing is to be vaccinated before engaging in any activity that will potentially involve exposure to HPV.

The reason that the number of doses was reduced is because follow up surveillance showed two doses was just as effective as three. That chops a third off the cost of being fully vaccinated.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:43 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
You could just do what doctors and scientists recommend. I know, that's so crazy.
It actually is, as medical malpractice is one of the top 5 causes of death in America.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I had measles in 1949 at 6 months old because my Mom never nursed me. Hospitalized? Go to a doctor? Nope. We unvaccinated for measles are your parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, and number in the millions. So you are worried about unvaccinated children? Are you worried about us too?

BTW, when mothers had had the measles (not MMR) themselves, their OB's were not worried about infants catching measles because their Moms (my kids born in 1979 and 1984) passed their natural immunity on to them, and through their breast milk which my own Mom didn't.

BTW, show me the link that that baby died. I think that is false. I believe there was a Washington woman who died but she HAD been vaccinated and had other medical issues.
The immunity from breast milk is very temporary.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:38 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
not to turn this political except this is on the POC forum, but it's this newfound disrespect of science where regular people seem to think their feelings or that random posting they read on the web is more real/truthful than science and medicine, blogs trump peer reviewed researched medical/scientific fact....
I know several people like this in the world and it's sad and scary...
Trust issue. If you do not trust the Messenger, you will not trust the Message. This runs from Medical Professionals to Corporations (Big Pharms) to the Government itself. Yes, it does correlate to a Political issue.

Pew Research did a survey a year or two ago. Americans simply do not have blind faith anymore in authority figures. Take you pick which.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:45 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
I keep wondering why there are so many vaccine threads in the political forum. Yes, it's become a question of doubt but most of that is for the medical community and pharma. The 3rd largest killer in the U.S. is medical mistakes. People are becoming weary of medical advice. Misdiagnoses is skyrocketing. Addiction to prescription meds is on the rise. It's no wonder people feel a lack of trust.

So, telling them this "medicine" is the latest life saver means half of what it use to. That's a no duh. But, debating this in the political forum still seems odd. Why not take it to the health forums, or the debate forums?

Unless you are going to say Trump likes or hates vaccines. lol

Old 04-04-2017, 06:55 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
not to turn this political except this is on the POC forum, but it's this newfound disrespect of science where regular people seem to think their feelings or that random posting they read on the web is more real/truthful than science and medicine, blogs trump peer reviewed researched medical/scientific fact....
I know several people like this in the world and it's sad and scary...

Until very recently a good portion if not a majority of anti-vaccers were card carrying leftists and tree huggers. It was only when it somehow became a political thing that people started lining up along partisan lines on this issue, and many lefties were forced to do a 180 on the issue in order to keep getting invited to all the coolest cocktail parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies