Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I know of a boy in the US who contracted autism after getting vaccinated. How does a parent explain to their child that they contracted a preventable disease due to their parents insisting on vaccinating them?
On this point alone indicates to me that you have bought into mis-information circulated by anti-vaccination groups. Autism has been shown NOT.. I repeat NOT connected to autism!!!!

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/autism.html
Quote:
There is no link between vaccines and autism.
Some people have had concerns that ASD might be linked to the vaccines children receive, but studies have shown that there is no link between receiving vaccines and developing ASD. In 2011, an Institute of Medicine (IOM) report on eight vaccines given to children and adults found that with rare exceptions, these vaccines are very safe.

A 2013 CDC study [PDF – 204 KB] added to the research showing that vaccines do not cause ASD. The study looked at the number of antigens (substances in vaccines that cause the body’s immune system to produce disease-fighting antibodies) from vaccines during the first two years of life. The results showed that the total amount of antigen from vaccines received was the same between children with ASD and those that did not have ASD.
Is There a Connection Between Vaccines and Autism?
Quote:
So how did the idea that vaccines play a role get started? Much of the blame lies with a study published in 1998 that suggested that the MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) vaccine, or infection with the naturally occurring measles virus itself, might cause autism. Since then, numerous scientific studies have shown that there is no link between vaccines — or any of their ingredients — and autism. And the research used in that study was found to be false, the doctor who wrote it lost his medical license, and the medical journal that published it retracted the paper (this means that they believe it never should have been published).
There's pages of links about this. Maybe it would be better to learn just what autism is and what factors actually allow it to develop.
https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-au...-causes-autism

Quote:
Autism’s genetic risk factors

Research tells us that autism tends to run in families. Changes in certain genes increase the risk that a child will develop autism. If a parent carries one or more of these gene changes, they may get passed to a child (even if the parent does not have autism). Other times, these genetic changes arise spontaneously in an early embryo or the sperm and/or egg that combine to create the embryo. Again, the majority of these gene changes do not cause autism by themselves. They simply increase risk for the disorder
Quote:
No effect on risk:

Vaccines. Each family has a unique experience with an autism diagnosis, and for some it corresponds with the timing of their child’s vaccinations. At the same time, scientists have conducted extensive research over the last two decades to determine whether there is any link between childhood vaccinations and autism. The results of this research is clear: Vaccines do not cause autism. The American Academy of Pediatrics has compiled a comprehensive list of this research. You can view and download the list here.
There's a lot of information here~ So unless you are trying to point a vaccines as what causes it alone, I do hope a little research will assist in dispelling the myth.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Here's good article from the CATO Institute.

Vaccination and Free Choice - CATO Institute
Dr. Singer needs to go back to school. He needs courses in infectious disease, immunology, and epidemiology.

He also appears to be clueless about the hardcore anti-vaccinationists who cannot be persuaded.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But it isn't just your body.

Because folks are choosing to opt out of vaccines there are increase in cases of mumps, measles, whooping cough, chicken pox.

If it was just about the kid not getting the shot -- who cares...but if it is about the potential for infecting others -- hmmmm -- not so much just about that one body.

whooping cough can never be eradicated by a vaccine. Any possibly immunity one can get from the pertussis vaccine is temporary. There's also concerns about bacterial mutations with that vaccine causing it to be less and less effective.

Merck is currently involved in a whistleblower lawsuit over it's Mumps vaccine. They were accused of manipulating the results of a study and overinflating the efficacy claims of their mumps vaccine.

You can't always point one's finger at "antivaxxers" as the cause of outbreaks.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Every pediatrician, doctor, medical expert I have heard speak about vaccinations admits there is a slight risk...but the risk of adverse reaction to the vaccine is smaller than the risk of dying from measles, etc.

Like many medicines or medical treatments some may have a severe adverse reaction but risk management tells us it is better to use the vaccine than not.

I'm sorry your stepson suffers like this. I would have made them 'test' after the first vaccine....one time is one too many for a seizure.
The risk of dying from measles in our country where we have adequate nutrition is very small. Especially if one contracts it in childhood as pretty much everyone did before the vaccine.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
IHere's the part that I'm seriously questioning about the HPV vaccination. It covers at most 9 strains of 100+. There is no test for men to see if they test positive for HPV. The big flag for me is in 2016 the recommendations from the CDC reduces the required 3 shots to 2 for certain ages. It's one of the vaccinations I am really on the fence about.
Not to mention the fact that 95% of HPV cases clear up on their own and almost all cervical cancer can be prevented with routine pap screening. HPV only plays a partial role in the rest of the cancers that HPV is associated with (I'm sure Suzy will bring those up if she hasn't already). There are other things that greatly up one's risk of contracting any HPV associated cancer such as smoking, taking oral contraceptives, etc.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No unnecessary vaccines? How about this one?

A vaccine for the common cold is in development - Geek.com

All that pain and suffering from the deadly Common Cold? Ask you doctor if this medication or vaccine is "Right for YOU".

TOO MANY Pills and Vaccines. Follow the $$$$$. Constantly going back to doctors for something or another.
And as soon as it hits the market the fear mongering regarding cold deaths will be in full effect.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I know of a boy in the US who contracted autism after getting vaccinated. How does a parent explain to their child that they contracted a preventable disease due to their parents insisting on vaccinating them?
You know of a boy who was diagnosed with autism after being vaccinated. Correlation does not equal causation. Oftentimes, the symptoms of autism were present long before the vaccines.
Brian Hooker's vaccine injury claim denied by NVICP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
See it all the time. Same sort of thinking back in the day when people did not wear their seat belts because they believed they would be "thrown clear". This sort of willful ignorance has been going on for a long time, it is uniquely American. Has a lot to do with math skills more than anything else. People don't understand statistics and how it applies to their daily life.
Baloney! There is an extremely strong anti-vax movement in Australia; it's also prevalent in Europe, both eastern and western, and in Japan. First world countries, IOW.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
In the last measles outbreak at Disney, a baby died, the baby was too young to have been vaccinated. A gf of mine is anti vax, & I said their rights to not vaccinate, end, when it can kill an innocent child/baby.
No babies died in the Disney outbreak. The most recent measles death in the US was in 2015, an adult woman. She was immunosuppressed and caught measles in an outbreak unrelated to the one that started at Disney.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahae.../#365b6264a196

Quote:
I had measles in 1949 at 6 months old because my Mom never nursed me. Hospitalized? Go to a doctor? Nope. We unvaccinated for measles are your parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, and number in the millions. So you are worried about unvaccinated children? Are you worried about us too?

BTW, when mothers had had the measles (not MMR) themselves, their OB's were not worried about infants catching measles because their Moms (my kids born in 1979 and 1984) passed their natural immunity on to them, and through their breast milk which my own Mom didn't.

BTW, show me the link that that baby died. I think that is false. I believe there was a Washington woman who died but she HAD been vaccinated and had other medical issues.
You had measles because virtually everyone got measles by the age of 15 before the vaccine. As pointed out by other posters, breast feeding does not prevent measles. Whatever protection you got from antibodies passed to you in utero by your mother had worn off by the time you were six months old.

Yes, as I note above, it was an immunosuppressed adult woman who died. That's one reason that everyone with no medical contraindications to vaccination should be vaccinated - to protect people like her. Even though she had been vaccinated, her immune system was not working properly and could not prevent her from getting measles.

Quote:
While you are Googling, do a born before 1957 and see what you come up with as far as Measles, Mumps, etc., and vaccinations. Having the disease itself gives lifetime immunity, and contributes to your "herd", no vaccinations necessary.
Having the disease gives lifetime immunity to most, but not all, vaccine preventable diseases. You can get whooping cough more than once, for example. In addition, to become immune by virtue of having the disease you have to get sick, often very sick, and every vaccine preventable disease can maim and kill.

Quote:
Trust issue. If you do not trust the Messenger, you will not trust the Message. This runs from Medical Professionals to Corporations (Big Pharms) to the Government itself. Yes, it does correlate to a Political issue.

Pew Research did a survey a year or two ago. Americans simply do not have blind faith anymore in authority figures. Take you pick which.
Having blind faith in anti-vax hucksters is a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I keep wondering why there are so many vaccine threads in the political forum. Yes, it's become a question of doubt but most of that is for the medical community and pharma. The 3rd largest killer in the U.S. is medical mistakes. People are becoming weary of medical advice. Misdiagnoses is skyrocketing. Addiction to prescription meds is on the rise. It's no wonder people feel a lack of trust.

So, telling them this "medicine" is the latest life saver means half of what it use to. That's a no duh. But, debating this in the political forum still seems odd. Why not take it to the health forums, or the debate forums?

Unless you are going to say Trump likes or hates vaccines. lol
The moderators do not want vaccine discussions in the health forum because of the controversy. These threads do pop up in Great Debates and Current Events, too.

Medical error is not the third largest killer in the US:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are...th-in-the-u-s/

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I also think it has to do with vaccines being placed on the mandatory list for diseases that aren't typically life-threatening or high risk. NY requires the chicken-pox vaccine now. I won't be the least bit surprised if NY and NJ both start requiring Guardisil soon. Added to that, the timeline for vaccines has been moved up too far, imo. The only reason to give an hours-old baby Hep B is if someone in the immediate family has hepatitis.

I've stated before, all my kids are vaccinated, so don't go accusing me of being anti-vax. I just think it's too much, too soon, and there are some that should be left to choice. When it starts to seem like a money-making scheme for pharmaceuticals, rather than protection for our kids, is it any wonder there's push back?
Every single disease for which we have a childhood vaccine can maim and kill. That includes chickenpox and HPV.

We give hepatitis B vaccine to infants because children who get it are more likely to become chronic carriers, get liver disease, and die from it. Starting the vaccine at birth insures protection begins well before any possible exposure. About half the time the source of the infection in a child is unknown. Your child may get it from a relative who does not even know he has it.

Pharm companies would make more money from treating vaccine preventable diseases than they do from vaccines. Consider that we do not have a vaccine for hepatitis C. Treating that will cost $1000 per pill, for 12 to 24 weeks.

The "too much too soon" idea is a myth.

Just the Vax, Please: Busting the "Too Many, Too Soon" Myth | HealthMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is the real issue. I see people out in crowds with infants exposing them to all sorts of viruses and diseases, you would think they would be more responsible.

Considering the weaknesses of the people who contact these viruses, perhaps the best policy is for them to take care of themselves. As you know, our borders are open and we are seeing 3rd world diseases now, some we have never seen before, so of course, you oppose refugees coming into the country and enforcing our immigration laws if you are serious about the issue.

I don't think they give the polio vaccine anymore, but aren't the refugees bringing it into the country. Had the chicken pox, rubella, several types of flu, TB is being brought in by refugees, but there is no vaccine on that, cholera - 3rd world although they'll probably drag it into our country, a vaccination for that?

Rarely do we agree, but I had the same thought. Parents have some responsibility in this one. I see them out with infants in the grocery store and allowing strangers to paw at the newborns.........

True. Everyone should be able to weigh their risks. For those that cannot be vaccinated because of a medical condition, the number of illegals and refugees bringing in disease will eventually take a toll on them anyway. It comes down to personal responsibility.

They suffer because their parents are ignorant and/or uncaring. Most are dropped off at daycare centers where if they have a faulty immune system, it is only a matter of time before they contract something.

Not at all. Anti-Vaxxers have taken the time to study the situation and make an informed decision. I realize many aren't able to do that, thus their herd mentality to just listen to mass media and let others decide, those motivated by money, big pharma and corrupt politicians.

I had chicken pox, mumps, and rubella, just like my sibling, cousins and everyone at school, back when America was great and our immune systems actually grew stronger, probably why I don't have health issues now and pickup everything that is out there or being brought in by refugees and illegal aliens. I never remember anyone dying nor did I know anyone with autism.

Vaccinations are dangerous. Those with compromised immune systems are ticking time bombs and no reason to take the rest of us with them.

I have seen up close and personal the effect of vaccinations on a child and live with those effects every day.
Keeping children at home until they are fully vaccinated is hardly practical, as is staying home if you are an adult with an immune deficiency. Should someone with rheumatoid arthritis on medication which suppresses immune function have to quarantine herself at home?

Children with healthy immune systems get vaccine preventable diseases. They need the protection of herd immunity. Catching one of these diseases does not always imply any "weakness".

The idea that immigrants - legal or otherwise - are bringing infectious diseases with them is false. Third world countries do vaccinate, and many of them have childhood vaccination rates higher than some areas of the US. The US does not vaccinate against TB, but many countries to the south of us do. The vast majority of immigrants with TB are here legally, and the incidence of TB in the US is declining, not increasing.

You may have had chickenpox, mumps, or rubella with no complications. That does not mean no one has complications from those diseases. Vaccines are developed for infections that can maim and kill.

The probability of a severe complication from a vaccine is tiny; the risks from the diseases they prevent is far greater.

Frankly, no one who refuses vaccines has made an informed decision, because such refusal is inevitably made on the basis of bad information.

Quote:
I basically agree. Far too many and far too young. So why does that newborn need a Hep. B vax? For the same reason that a 65 year old man (my husband) needs a Hep. B vax after a heart attack. To protect the hospital from their own negligence of contamination. Hello?

NYC used to require Flu Shots for all Pre-Schoolers, but a Judge struck that down. There is a bill before State Senate to require it for all public school students. Going nowhere. While Guardisil probably will be approved, I highly doubt the legislature will approve Mandatory Flu Shots. Does the legislature vaccinate themselves and their own children for the Flu? Mandate Teacher Flu Shots also? Fortunately, not all states are as fanatical as California when it comes to this issue.

Edit: The only vaccination I refused for my own children was that Hep. B when they were teens. Of course, that schedule was nothing like it is today, let alone when I was a child. Small Pox, DPT, and Polio vaccinations were the only ones my generation got as kids. Compare the number today.
The hepatitis B vaccine is given to infants to protect them against becoming infected with hepatitis B well before any possibility of exposure to the virus.

It has nothing to do with protecting "the hospital from their own negligence of contamination".

Why is preventing more diseases a bad thing? Why was being protected from smallpox, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and polio good enough for you to vaccinate your children, but protection against hepatitis B was not?

Quote:
As previously pointed out, vaccines do not cause autism. You are seriously misinformed.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:52 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
[quote=MissTerri;47734006]The risk of dying from measles in our country where we have adequate nutrition is very small. Especially if one contracts it in childhood as pretty much everyone did before the vaccine.[/QUOT

Mumps is another example. Parents of young boys generations ago, including mine, wanted their sons to catch mumps before puberty. Today look at all the vaccinated young men across college campuses catching mumps, DESPITE being fully vaccinated. As with whooping cough requiring more boosters, it seems that it is happening with the ineffective mumps element of that MMR. Solution? It can never hurt to get another, and another, vaccination.

Far, far better for males to catch mumps, and get lifetime immunity, as young boys than to get an ineffective vaccination and catch it as an adult male which can cause sterility.

Don't get me started on Guardisil. We women over 26 are just DOOMED to die of Cervical Cancer!
I am sure the Pharms will come out with a bigger and better vax that will "protect" older women too. Why are schools requiring vaccination for that? Oh, I forgot, "horny HS students having sex in school bathrooms". That is a quote from another remaining nameless poster pushing any and all vaccines.

Last edited by Jo48; 04-04-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 12:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Already responded to, but I want to add-there are no mandatory vaccination laws in the US. That is, you cannot be arrested for walking down the street unvaccinated. Nor can you be fined or jailed. In a perfect world, people would get vaccinated because it's the right thing to do and we wouldn't need vaccine mandates for day care, school and university attendance. But it's not a perfect world.
and therein lies the problem. there may be no law requiring people to get vaccinated, but there are enough mandates from various organizations and businesses that no law is needed at this point. unfortunately the courts have sided with the mandates, thus they remain in place.

as i said, i am not pro vax or anti vax, what i am is pro choice. it should be up to the individual to make the decision whether or not to vaccinate themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies