Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 10:24 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It could be anyone, Tokinouta. I have been quite surprised sometimes to find out who sent unsigned rep. It sometimes comes up in private conversations with moderators. Any time I make a rep comment, I sign it. If I just rep a post with no comment, I often do not sign.
I'm sure it's safe to assume it was someone on this thread. I don't mind at all, I just thought they might want an answer to their questions.

Last edited by Tokinouta; 04-12-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yea lets take our advice from quack homeopaths because we don't trust the ACTUAL science. While we are at it, I heard you don't need vaccinations if you just rub crystals all over your body once a day. Maybe we can use a ouija board to ask the spirits to protect us from the diseases instead!

Homeopathy is dumb
People who promote it are either dumb or scam artists

Why would you take health advice from someone who is either dumb or a scam artist?
First off, love your name. I'm an avid Pokemon fan.

Homeopath is a rather new concept of treatment to me but, as someone familiar with adhd and the fact that they use stimulants to calm an already hyper person down (which is a homeopathic thinking) I might check further into it. My personal jury is still out. I do know that staying healthy does strengthen your immune system and practicing unhealthy habits weakens it.

Trusting anyone is difficult, that's the problem. Some scientist take bribes (donations)to help secure their jobs or fudge results if they get funding from the party who would benefit from a study in their favor. So the world is full of scam artists, most people just try to weed their way through it all. I couldn't use such a broad brush and I don't really take advice from those who do.

So, I disagree.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:20 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
First off, love your name. I'm an avid Pokemon fan.

Homeopath is a rather new concept of treatment to me but, as someone familiar with adhd and the fact that they use stimulants to calm an already hyper person down (which is a homeopathic thinking) I might check further into it. My personal jury is still out. I do know that staying healthy does strengthen your immune system and practicing unhealthy habits weakens it.

Trusting anyone is difficult, that's the problem. Some scientist take bribes (donations)to help secure their jobs or fudge results if they get funding from the party who would benefit from a study in their favor. So the world is full of scam artists, most people just try to weed their way through it all. I couldn't use such a broad brush and I don't really take advice from those who do.

So, I disagree.
Go for it, buy full into the homeopathy thing: Then you can be what the scam artists pushing it want you to be, a sucker. Let me be generous and say that I am not surprised that there is overlap between the group of people who think vaccinations are a conspiracy and the group of people who think homeopathy makes sense.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Go for it, buy full into the homeopathy thing: Then you can be what the scam artists pushing it want you to be, a sucker. Let me be generous and say that I am not surprised that there is overlap between the group of people who think vaccinations are a conspiracy and the group of people who think homeopathy makes sense.
I haven't bought into anything, including the notion that all traditional medicine lacks error. That's where we differ. When medical error is in the top five things that kill us, why would it be better to put all my eggs into that basket?

Who every said vaccines were a conspiracy? I gather you are in the pro vax miliary? All for one, one for all?

I'm in the "it's hard to believe anything anymore" troop. I look into to it all. Why not? It's not like Homeopaths are killing anyone faster than traditional medicine.

I'll re post these just for you.

Medical errors may be 3rd leading cause of death in U.S. - CNN.com

Why I question science - Pressure To Publish Leads To Shoddy Science And Bad Medicine : Shots - Health News : NPR

Why I think healthcare is big business - Elizabeth Rosenthal Explains How U.S. Health Care Became Big Business : Shots - Health News : NPR

I think it would be stupid NOT to question it all. We should have a non profit healthcare system instead of a for profit system where drug companies make millions off of us. Medicine is just a business here, why on earth would I trust big business with my life?

Old 04-12-2017, 02:05 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
I haven't bought into anything, including the notion that all traditional medicine lacks error. That's where we differ. When medical error is in the top five things that kill us, why would it be better to put all my eggs into that basket?

Who every said vaccines were a conspiracy? I gather you are in the pro vax miliary? All for one, one for all?

I'm in the "it's hard to believe anything anymore" troop. I look into to it all. Why not? It's not like Homeopaths are killing anyone faster than traditional medicine.

I'll re post these just for you.

Medical errors may be 3rd leading cause of death in U.S. - CNN.com

Why I question science - Pressure To Publish Leads To Shoddy Science And Bad Medicine : Shots - Health News : NPR

Why I think healthcare is big business - Elizabeth Rosenthal Explains How U.S. Health Care Became Big Business : Shots - Health News : NPR

I think it would be stupid NOT to question it all. We should have a non profit healthcare system instead of a for profit system where drug companies make millions off of us. Medicine is just a business here, why on earth would I trust big business with my life?
I agree 100% which is why I posted about what it is like working for a Fortune 500 Pharm. Corp. It is all profit oriented just as much as General Motors is. No difference.

I suppose the Medical Professionals do not want to believe it. Unpaid Sales Force, as I said. Subject for another thread is the Preventive Care Medicine, which is driving insurance rates through the roof, and MORE Doctor Visits.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I agree 100% which is why I posted about what it is like working for a Fortune 500 Pharm. Corp. It is all profit oriented just as much as General Motors is. No difference.

I suppose the Medical Professionals do not want to believe it. Unpaid Sales Force, as I said. Subject for another thread is the Preventive Care Medicine, which is driving insurance rates through the roof, and MORE Doctor Visits.
I look forward to a thread like that. If you end up doing that please through me a note, I'll be there.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
I think medical errors are a bigger threat. Just compare the numbers of death and injury from both every year.

"Vaccination prices have gone from single digits to sometimes triple digits in the last two decades, creating dilemmas for doctors and their patients as well as straining public health budgets. Here in San Antonio and elsewhere, some doctors have stopped offering immunizations because they say they cannot afford to buy these potentially lifesaving preventive treatments that insurers often reimburse poorly, sometimes even at a loss."

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/h...-It-Hurts.html

Attempts at prevention are also expensive.
The study that arrived at the number of deaths (it did not include injuries) each year is deeply flawed. I know you do not want to accept that, but it is true. The authors included complications that were not due to mistakes and they estimated the number of deaths from only a handful of cases. The cases were in the Medicare age group. In other words, they used a very sick population to study. If someone is moribund anyway, getting a medication off schedule or even the wrong medicine is not going to be what kills him, even if it was a "mistake". Continue to believe it if you wish, since it fits the narrative you want to present here, but it is not a good study. Medicine is not bumping off healthy people by the hundreds of thousands.

Even if errors were a "bigger" threat, that does not mean we should ignore the threat from the increasing level of vaccine refusal. That's like saying we should ignore the number of people who drown because so many more people die in motor vehicle crashes.

Vaccines are expensive, but by reducing the incidence of the infections they prevent they save the system money, counted in billions.

Vaccines Don't Just Save Lives

Quote:
Suzy spoke in third person. Suzy does this, Suzy feels that. She explained it was a literary device, to use for what I'm unsure, you'll have to consult her on it.

(I also think there should be a sticky or vaccine forum for those who need to advertise by debating about vaccines. Also, for those who oppose them and the general public. This thread proves how polarized they are.) Don't worry, I won't visit. I'm here because I do visit the political thread often, that's all.
Look, I do not know why you are so hung up on my referring to myself in the third person. It was not "Suzy does this, Suzy feels that." It was one time in this entire thread. Once. I used it because I was responding to a post in which I was singled out by name.

I resent the implication that I post here in order to "advertise by debating". That is just an attempt to subtly call me a pharmacy shill, and it is a common anti-vax technique. I do not work for the pharmacy industry now, I never have, I never will, and the only money I have received for posting here is the $500 prize from CD itself.

Perhaps there should be a separate vaccine forum. I know these threads are difficult to moderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's sole purpose is to slander people. It uses the weak, watered down half truths and pretends like it is evidence. It links to "rational wiki" as it's source which is ridiculous. It's big on name calling and the author is anonymous. How anyone could take this blog seriously is beyond me.
You might want to learn the difference between slander and libel.

Libel vs. Slander: Different Types of Defamation | Nolo.com

"Libel is a written defamatory statement, and slander is a spoken or oral defamatory statement."

A statement is neither if the statement is true.

Please give us just one example from the article about Humphries that is not true, regardless of its source. Show us a "weak, watered down half truth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm not the one who posts links to blogs (most of them very snarky and some nothing but half truths and hate) and use them as sources. I also don't associate with any group or people who issue death threats or leave hateful comments on anyone's facebook page. If you bring up a source and use it often, don't be surprised if people comment on it.
You linked to this page at Humphries' own website. I guess you do not consider this a blog:

Response to

Please show us an example of a "half truth" form any blog to which I have ever linked. Feel free to mine through my entire posting history if you wish. You were the one to posted the link to the "rebuttal" for Humphries. I pointed out the lies and misinformation in it. Surely you can take one of those blogs you hate and do the same.

Yes, some of the ones I cite are snarky. Snark does not mean the content is not true. The hate in them is for the the pseudoscience, and it is well deserved. People like Humphries are responsible for unnecessary sickness, disability, and death.

Quote:

No one has ever said that medical errors do not exist. There are just not the number of fatal errors that you want to believe there are. They are not in the top five. The study that says they are is wrong.

Unfortunately, homeopathy can kill, when it is used instead of science based treatment.

"Non-profit" medicine does not exist anywhere. I have explained before why that is. Please tell us how you would reform the pharmaceutical industry. Where do you propose that funding for new medicines should come from? A national tax? Who would determine who got funded and for what research? Congress? Do you really want to go there?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Ok, well you got my sympathy without seeking it. Do what you want with it.

I think medical errors are a bigger threat. Just compare the numbers of death and injury from both every year.

"Vaccination prices have gone from single digits to sometimes triple digits in the last two decades, creating dilemmas for doctors and their patients as well as straining public health budgets. Here in San Antonio and elsewhere, some doctors have stopped offering immunizations because they say they cannot afford to buy these potentially lifesaving preventive treatments that insurers often reimburse poorly, sometimes even at a loss."

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/h...-It-Hurts.html

Attempts at prevention are also expensive.
That NYT article contained many errors in addition to those at the addendum to the article. Maybe doctors in San Antonio quit offering vaccines; I have not heard of that happening in Denver or any other city I'm familiar with.

In fact, the article offers some of the same type of thinking that anti-vaxers have. It talks about how few kids DIED of pneumonia pre-vaccine, neglecting to talk about the costs of medical care and hospitalization, and also neglecting to discuss some of the other diseases Prevnar helps prevent such as meningitis, blood infections (bacteremia) and ear infections.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The study that arrived at the number of deaths (it did not include injuries) each year is deeply flawed. I know you do not want to accept that, but it is true. The authors included complications that were not due to mistakes and they estimated the number of deaths from only a handful of cases. The cases were in the Medicare age group. In other words, they used a very sick population to study. If someone is moribund anyway, getting a medication off schedule or even the wrong medicine is not going to be what kills him, even if it was a "mistake". Continue to believe it if you wish, since it fits the narrative you want to present here, but it is not a good study. Medicine is not bumping off healthy people by the hundreds of thousands.

Even if errors were a "bigger" threat, that does not mean we should ignore the threat from the increasing level of vaccine refusal. That's like saying we should ignore the number of people who drown because so many more people die in motor vehicle crashes.

Vaccines are expensive, but by reducing the incidence of the infections they prevent they save the system money, counted in billions.

Look, I do not know why you are so hung up on my referring to myself in the third person. It was not "Suzy does this, Suzy feels that." It was one time in this entire thread. Once. I used it because I was responding to a post in which I was singled out by name.

I resent the implication that I post here in order to "advertise by debating". That is just an attempt to subtly call me a pharmacy shill, and it is a common anti-vax technique. I do not work for the pharmacy industry now, I never have, I never will, and the only money I have received for posting here is the $500 prize from CD itself.

Perhaps there should be a separate vaccine forum. I know these threads are difficult to moderate.

No one has ever said that medical errors do not exist. There are just not the number of fatal errors that you want to believe there are. They are not in the top five. The study that says they are is wrong.

Unfortunately, homeopathy can kill, when it is used instead of science based treatment.

"Non-profit" medicine does not exist anywhere. I have explained before why that is. Please tell us how you would reform the pharmaceutical industry. Where do you propose that funding for new medicines should come from? A national tax? Who would determine who got funded and for what research? Congress? Do you really want to go there?
Well you are welcome to put up some evidence to show the medical errors shown are wrong. Go ahead. I'd like to see it. I agree that some stations such as CNN, FOX, MSMBC, and lots and lots of local stations get it wrong sometimes. So go ahead and show me some alternative facts to what I've shown. No blogs though, I already get that the medical community doesn't like the report, that's a given.

I'm not hung up SuzyQ, I was asked a question and I answered it. The question was in the post you quoted, above. "What third person?" I was just clearing that up for the mystery writer. No biggie. I'm sure you have your reasons and quite frankly I don't care. Do whatever you want.

Now, you're the one who said you weren't posting for us, but for the greater audience who was shopping for vaccine advice. I never said that, you did. I assumed, as I said, you were just talking to me. If you are changing your tune that's fine, but I never called you a shill for pharma companies. Not once. Ever. You just don't like my choice of words, but advertising means making (a quality or fact) known. Which is what you stated you were doing. Just google the meanings you don't get, problem solved. We all have issues with that from time to time.

And, if you are, so what. We all have a job to do, right? No biggie.

I've explained that last one. Plus, it's in that NPR interview that I posted twice. I just don't think you want to hear it. If you do, and I'm wrong, you are free to re read it again. You can also do all the googling about it you want, as you know.

There is a tremendous amount of rehashing in this thread, it seriously gets repetitive. There is only so many ways you can spin a directive.

I don't really need to chat with you anymore, unless there's some new point. We've talked about the same thing ad nauseam and I don't see it going anywhere new or exciting. I'm just going to call it a day.

I do like talking to the other posters though, and feel free to but in, but that doesn't 'mean I'll answer, especially if it's the same old, same old.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:04 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

You might want to learn the difference between slander and libel.

Libel vs. Slander: Different Types of Defamation | Nolo.com

"Libel is a written defamatory statement, and slander is a spoken or oral defamatory statement."

A statement is neither if the statement is true.

Please give us just one example from the article about Humphries that is not true, regardless of its source. Show us a "weak, watered down half truth".

You linked to this page at Humphries' own website. I guess you do not consider this a blog:

Response to

Please show us an example of a "half truth" form any blog to which I have ever linked. Feel free to mine through my entire posting history if you wish. You were the one to posted the link to the "rebuttal" for Humphries. I pointed out the lies and misinformation in it. Surely you can take one of those blogs you hate and do the same.

Yes, some of the ones I cite are snarky. Snark does not mean the content is not true. The hate in them is for the the pseudoscience, and it is well deserved. People like Humphries are responsible for unnecessary sickness, disability, and death.

If you weren't so completely one sided on everything that supports western medicine, you would also find where it is deeply flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies