Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:43 AM

678 posts, read 437,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How do you propose we provide an adequate history education without teaching about religion?
In case you haven't noticed, religion has played a rather large role in human history.
You say it bothers you that we have very uneducated people, but yet you suggest not educating people.
I want an educated society. Part of that means having a clue what the various religions teach and what their role has been in our history.
Making adults & children AWARE of history, science, religions, politics, etc. is one thing.
But
Making adults & children conform, via indoctrinations... is quite another thing.
For just one example,
Everyone would benefit... from knowing basic Science, both in theory & practice...
But all too often, yes particularly in science-classes, immorality is taught as "facts" which certainly are not.

The same holds true for teaching the supposed 'virtues' of Islam.
When anything DEADly (be it religions, science or politics) is taught in schools as "useful", ALARMS should be going off across the USA. NO murderous practices... should ever be accepted in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 01:01 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
I took World History just a few years ago. It is literally impossible to teach world history without learning about Islam, all my history teachers have been Republicans and they know this. It is also impossible to learn about world history without learning about Christianity. Judaism is given like a 5 minute talk because outside of Israel conflict which is minor in the grand scheme of things it is irrelevant. Also what the he double hockey sticks is a positive slant on Islam. They don't tell you anything positive or negative they tell you what it is. It seems like some Republicans goals in life is to make sure Children who go to public schools leave the schools as idiots. First you attack Science and I'm not talking about Evolution but some people think Biology class is anti-scripture, and I have to ask if these people have even read the bible. Now they're having a war on History. It almost seems like Republicans are trying to turn us into the Christian version of Saudi Arabia.

^^^^^
Poster above please give an example. I still have notebooks from my World History class, and Science classes. I want to know what subjects are indoctrinating me.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:54 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I took a college World Religions class. It was very interesting. Since many of the major wars were over religion, how could you teach history and not teach about religion?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:38 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Schools never need to go into religion as part of their primary education goes. That they do indicates something and it's not just that every 3rd grade teach suddenly thought it was a good idea. It bothers me that we have very uneducated people in this country but somehow find room for this when we should be focusing on reading, writing, math, science and history. Anyone who graduates high school at a 12 grade reading level will be able to educate themselves about most things if they have an interest. We'd rather have illiterate people who have been taught to BELIEVE certain things than an educated society. There is a benefit even though it's only for a few at the top of whatever heap we've created. That's why things are bad and aren't going to get any better.
Great post. We need to give people a solid background in reading, math, and science. They can learn the rest on their own at their own pace and through their own interests. Teach US history with maybe a very general overview of world history in the past 200 years or so. That's it.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Here's a link to the resource companion to an educational series about ISLAM. Says it was designed for secondary social studies, civics, religion and language art classes.

PBS - Islam: Empire of Faith - Educational Resources

PBS also has a series on Christianity:

From Jesus To Christ - The First Christians | FRONTLINE | PBS

Education programs are determined at the district level, not by the Federal Government.

I do not have a problem with students learning about the history of Islam, given nearly 25% of the world's population identifies as such, no different than learning about the history of Christianity.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I took a college World Religions class. It was very interesting. Since many of the major wars were over religion, how could you teach history and not teach about religion?
You nailed it.

Politicians have been using religion as a tool to control the masses and make land/ asset grabs since forever.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Wait, why do we want students to not know anything about the world?
Best to indoctrinate students that 5% of the world's population who live in the US know better than the other 95% and to dismiss anything contrary.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:03 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Ohhhh. The "Administrative State." Sounds scary. Do tell us more. Or are you just spouting yet more right wing nonsense that reflects a total lack of understanding of how government works?

The fact is that each state can teach the way it wants (excepting unconstitutional things like forced religion). They may have to give up some federal money though.
You can google it up yourself if you are past the point of being spoon fed. The term was first used at Yale in 1948, so you may want to start there, but probably what you will do is continue to make snarky remarks about everything you do not understand and continue to blame some opposing political party for your ignorance.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You can google it up yourself if you are past the point of being spoon fed. The term was first used at Yale in 1948, so you may want to start there, but probably what you will do is continue to make snarky remarks about everything you do not understand and continue to blame some opposing political party for your ignorance.
No, I want you to explain what it is and why it's so terrible. I want you to explain how it's unaccountable. I want you to explain how you have a functional government without the "administrative state." Until you can demonstrate that you have the first clue, you're just spouting buzzwords you read in some right wing screed.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
I remember learning about other religions 40 years ago in history classes in Catholic school. When we studied other countries and regions, it was part of the discussion. How can you learn about a country and its culture and people without learning something about their major religions?

Then in college we had a professor who did an American religion class where we talked a lot about fundamentalist Christians. Never having lived outside New York, I'd never seen some of the rituals of some sects, like the snake handlers. Fascinating stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies