Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:06 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,252,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If it's none of my business, maybe you shouldn't have started a thread on the internet to talk about it.

Just a thought.
No, it's a bit more than "just a thought" -- because over there in LeftyLand, there are quite a few people who will always be tempted to silence those who don't agree with them -- it's central to the absolutist doctrine of Political Correctness.

But as for our OP, if he doesn't like what he sees, he has several options. he can turn off the broadcast, change the channel, and/or refuse to purchase the product; he can also encourage other people who agree with his beliefs to do so.

Unfortunately, the world has a large number of people, on both sides of the issue, who are convinced that this arrangement isn't suitable for their purposes.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,497,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Wrong, I and my child do not need to be exposed to deviancy.
Then I gather when with your child you would far rather see a straight couple viciously arguing in public then two men kissing on the lips, or just holding hands.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Gross!!
Then have the good sense for yourself to not look.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,745,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
...Lying to kids just lets them know that you're not trustworthy.
You're not a parent, are you?

Old 04-02-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Because that is not deviant behaviour.
What if two beautiful women kiss on the lips. Does that pass as okay and cool, since it turns you on?

Old 04-02-2017, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times
The media is going through a phase where it wants to normalize depictions of same-sex relationships.

On the face of that, I feel fine about is since same-sex relationships do exist and people should not be ashamed of their sexuality. Also, I believe there is nothing wrong with the media depicting society as it exists.

My problem with the current state of media depictions of same-sex relationships, though, is two-fold:

1. When in the form of a public service announcement, there is a shaming tone. Like they are saying, "How dare you disapprove of this kiss! You backward misanthrope!"

I feel like this is talking down to me, especially when I have no real problem with it. And I feel that people who are uncomfortable with what is being depicted are just going to be turned off by the arrogant tone in these types of ads.

2. The frequency. In an effort to get their message across, producers are tripping over themselves to depict loving same-sex relationships at a level that makes them appear to be far more common than they are in reality.

This may be well meaning, but over or underrepresentation of race, religion, sexuality, etc. is a form of social engineering, and as disingenuous as depicting 100% of the population as white, Christian heterosexuals.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
No, it's a bit more than "just a thought" -- because over there in LeftyLand, there are quite a few people who will always be tempted to silence those who don't agree with them -- it's central to the absolutist doctrine of Political Correctness.

But as for our OP, if he doesn't like what he sees, he has several options. he can turn off the broadcast, change the channel, and/or refuse to purchase the product; he can also encourage other people who agree with his beliefs to do so.

Unfortunately, the world has a large number of people, on both sides of the issue, who are convinced that this arrangement isn't suitable for their purposes.
????? I haven't attempted to shut anyone up.

The OP tells me to mind my own business on a topic that he's brought up for comment in a public forum. Excuse me for pointing out how lame that is.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:17 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,536,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Leave the OP alone - kids do ask questions as most don't understand homosexuality. The problem I have with the commercials is again pushing something down my throat that to me isn't an issue - but it must be to some people or there would be no need for the commercial.

I respect everyone's opinions and lifestyles - but continuing to inundate people with the latest liberal push whether it be feminism, gay marriage, illegal immigration, Black Lives Matters - does nothing to make me more pro issue but anti because I really don't give a hoot what other people do - it's their business - so quit making mine! You've become the Mormans of todays society - the ones we hide and turn away from because you can't respect us because we aren't like you.
Until they have asked the questions, they don't understand sexuality - at least the mechanics of it - either way.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I haven't seen it on TV, but as I was entering a highway plaza I saw two guys come out holding hands and thought it was the sweetest thing.
When I saw two young guys holding hands while walking in Penn Square Mall in Oklahoma City, I was surprised by the sight and then felt fear for their safety. This is because Oklahoma is one of the most highly homophobic states that there is.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:19 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,398,206 times
Selective outrage - complain about a 2 second "gay kiss" but not about longer erectile dysfunction ads.
Daddy, whats an erection, why can't that old man get one without a pill, and why is that old lady smiling?.
For most kids, imaging their parents or grandparents doing it is grosser than seeing 2 younger & clothed men kissing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies