Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 06:33 AM

11,252 posts, read 11,025,570 times

Advertisements

When I saw this thread my first thought was Why would the government not want white people at a Bureau of Land Management meeting.

Black lives matters didn't even cross my mind. That is how insignificant that group is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
T

Well, there are moral constraints on the "Equal and opposite". I certainly would not advocate the physical abuse that blacks have endured......upon any group of people. However, that does not mean throw the baby out with the bath water. Note....never did I advocate or suggest such. The goal is not to punish one side....but rather, repair one side. The problem is that one side still sees "repair" as "punishment" to them. As I said, if cookies were allocated at a 2:1 ratio, unfairly, and now one side disproportionately has the cookies.....targeting the side that got less, with the goal of repairing the inequality, is most often seen as punitive by the side that was favored in the past.

What black people need to do is unify, uplift and promote "blackness" as something positive and good (the offset of what society has promoted for over 300 years), support black businesses, communities, schools, relationships etc, while the government should allocate resources, intelligently, to address the issue of lost wealth (ie..reparations). Granted, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that the latter will ever happen.....especially in a nation that is still majority white and still, but to a much lesser severity, racist. This is why racial equality in this nation will never be realized in my opinion. The issue will have to be resolved through miscegenation and everyone essentially being "mixed".
What lost wealth? You think your ancestors were wealthy and then white people stole their money? You are probably wealthier than any of your ancestors, and that's because you had the good fortune to grow up in a society built by white people.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
if each race is equal in their inherent capacities as HUMANS to achieve...
... then there would be evidence of that in the world. But there is none. Racial inequality is the norm everywhere.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What lost wealth? You think your ancestors were wealthy and then white people stole their money? You are probably wealthier than any of your ancestors, and that's because you had the good fortune to grow up in a society built by white people.
Have you ever read this book?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...erms_and_Steel

I think it touches on a lot of what Indentured Servant is talking about. Its worth a read.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:45 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Do you blame BLM for this? The whites that want to partake in BLM are a bunch of naive morons-you can't blame even BLM for not wanting to associate with them. Besides, when you're a racist hate group, why WOULD you invite the targets of your hate to your meeting? I doubt that there are many blacks at a KKK meeting.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Have you ever read this book?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...erms_and_Steel

I think it touches on a lot of what Indentured Servant is talking about. Its worth a read.
I have not read it, although I've read enough about it to know that it does not support Indentured Servants' the-white-man-stole-my-money theory of wealth inequality.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:57 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I could care less about the BLM movement. If they want to meet among themselves, go for it. They have no power, no money. Basically just a group of people who feel disenfranchised and gather together to commiserate the plight they have in many cases brought upon themselves. Creating a racial divide never turns out well for those involved.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
T

Well, there are moral constraints on the "Equal and opposite". I certainly would not advocate the physical abuse that blacks have endured......upon any group of people. However, that does not mean throw the baby out with the bath water. Note....never did I advocate or suggest such. The goal is not to punish one side....but rather, repair one side. The problem is that one side still sees "repair" as "punishment" to them. As I said, if cookies were allocated at a 2:1 ratio, unfairly, and now one side disproportionately has the cookies.....targeting the side that got less, with the goal of repairing the inequality, is most often seen as punitive by the side that was favored in the past.

What black people need to do is unify, uplift and promote "blackness" as something positive and good (the offset of what society has promoted for over 300 years), support black businesses, communities, schools, relationships etc, while the government should allocate resources, intelligently, to address the issue of lost wealth (ie..reparations). Granted, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that the latter will ever happen.....especially in a nation that is still majority white and still, but to a much lesser severity, racist. This is why racial equality in this nation will never be realized in my opinion. The issue will have to be resolved through miscegenation and everyone essentially being "mixed".
I didn't think that you did. But at the same time, the moral constraints would prevent the force from being truly equal, and I tend to get very literal about words. I was trained as a journalist, and it's an occupational hazard. But no, I didn't think that you would advocate any kind of physical tit-for-tat as a means of restoring racial justice.

I agree with you about the repair and punishment part. If someone has always enjoyed certain privileges, they are likely to see the removal of those privileges as punitive, even if the intent is not to take something from them, but to give something to another.

I'd like very much to hear your thoughts on what the reparative actions would look like, and what sort of action on the part of white people would be most helpful. I've always thought listening would rank high on the list, if only for starters.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:03 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Are you seeking to be educated or just playing the devils advocate? One would assume that plenty of wealth would have been accumulated from the work slaves did if they were paid fairly for their work. Millions of acres of land was sold in America during a period where blacks were put at an egregious disadvantage in getting ownership of land (see the Oklahoma land rush, for example). Land has traditionally been the biggest source of wealth, as well as owning mineral rights to land. Wealth is transferable and is past down from antecedent to descendant.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
I have not read it, although I've read enough about it to know that it does not support Indentured Servants' the-white-man-stole-my-money theory of wealth inequality.
I never said the white man stole our money, notwithstanding your straw man paraphrase. It was not like we had money sitting in banks and it was taken. No......we were just not paid for our labors or allowed opportunities to advance in the way whites were....which made blacks unequal with whites. This is not rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies