Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I only wish people were as fervent about the 2nd Amendment as they are about the 1st and 4th. People seem to not care about giving the rights they choose not to exercise.

On this particular subject, I think that from a legal standpoint, it's pretty much still up in the air. I don't know enough about law (much less Constitutional law) to give any kind of educated opinion. On the surface, it certainly does look pretty bad. I'm sure this will be settled eventually, though. Especially if we elect a Democrat in November. A lot of people have a stake in making Bush's legacy as negative as possible.
Without the 4th, they could find out if you had guns. With the 4th, they have no right to search your property for guns...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Without the 4th, they could find out if you had guns. With the 4th, they have no right to search your property for guns...

YouTube - Katrina forceful evictions and rights violations

YouTube - New Orleans Gun Confiscation

They only need the excuse to take the guns...they already have excuses for finding out if you own one.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Its been a while since I looked over the patriot act in detail, but I think it isn't just a random "for any suspect" sort of issue.

If you read through the patriot act, I think it first requires a judges approval via a process of being able to show to that judge that these individuals are reasonably associated with a possible terrorist action, organization, etc...

At that point, I believe any searches or the like committed within the boundaries of that initial authorization is allowed.

Sure, this is a touchy area, but as I said, if I remember correctly, it isn't them simply being able to do whatever they want to anyone they want, anytime they want. There is a process of validation, it is just that once the judge accepts that this person or group warrants the probable cause, extra warrant steps and procedures are negated to allow for expediency due to the types of cases these are.

So basically, if you are a terroist, or they can reasonably provide a judge with evidence that supports that you are, then they can tap your phones, pull information from local agencies, etc... without having to go through the process every single time they need to gain information from a different area which also required a separate warrant each time.

If you know anything about warrants, they can often cause time troubles which causes the investigating agency to miss an opportunity to catch the suspect.
You are correct.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You are correct.
Even when THEY themselves are mistaken.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
And you people want to give Bush even more powers to pry without warrants!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
I have an honest question and I think it is quite relevant to this discussion since it is the exact thing we are discussing.

How many people here have read all of the patriot act? Not someones summary, not a small part from a website, but actually read the original document (it is online and freely available)?

How many? Raise your hand.

/raises hand

If you haven't, I strongly suggest you do. If you are commenting one way or another about this document without having actually read it. Well, I am sorry, but you would have to be a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies