Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

I'm confused. Have they started building the wall or is this the small area of the wall that is already in place? If the border wall bothers these residents so much, why were they living that close to Mexico in the first place? I live a few hours from the Mexican border, have driven down there a few times, and I can tell you, unless you are very comfortable with living next door to Mexico and taking the high crime risk involved with living in a border town, being on one side or the other makes little difference, if any. Property values are crap on either side because of all the drugs and violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:27 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Normally, I do not find joy in other people's problems, but this one is really too good to pass up ! We have been saying that Trump voters will not change their minds about voting for him UNTIL something he does hits them square in the eyes.

We see so many Trump cheer leaders on here, applauding every time he signs one more of his vindictive Executive Orders, and they will be laughing until they get that "OH S*** !!!!!!" moment when one of his orders affects them. There are a lot of people in for a rude awakening when they realize they have shot themselves in the foot by electing this madman.
Didn't all this happen 10 years ago?
What does it have to do with trump?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Another one?
I think she is LYING!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm confused. Have they started building the wall or is this the small area of the wall that is already in place? If the border wall bothers these residents so much, why were they living that close to Mexico in the first place? I live a few hours from the Mexican border, have driven down there a few times, and I can tell you, unless you are very comfortable with living next door to Mexico and taking the high crime risk involved with living in a border town, being on one side or the other makes little difference, if any. Property values are crap on either side because of all the drugs and violence.

Bids are being taken so no, the wall hasn't been built yet. There are miles of insufficient fences and Trump wants to fix those. Also there are good walls along small portions of the border that have been proven to work. The Secure Fence Act of 2006 was to see that those types of walls would be built along the most porous areas of the border (about 700 miles). That is what the goal should be. It isn't necessary to build a wall along the entire border as much of the terrain is very difficult to get thru and they are natural barriers to crossing. The Border Patrol can cover those areas.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
"AND WE HAVE TO FEED THE KIDS AFTER SCHOOL TOO??"

Typical conservative.
You should have used '_____' rather than "_______" because you were giving your opinion re what the poster meant. You weren't directly quoting the poster.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how are they 'hurting' others?
Beat me to it.

We may hear......cue the world's saddest song being played on the world's smallest violin.....'taking away their health care'.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Reading posts like the OP make me almost sorry the wall is never really going to be built. Trump supporters should be made to suffer for their choice.

But she should rest easy. There isn't going to be a wall.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Normally, I do not find joy in other people's problems, but this one is really too good to pass up ! We have been saying that Trump voters will not change their minds about voting for him UNTIL something he does hits them square in the eyes.
Aha!

You didn't use the past tense.

Will you admit that a huge reason for your bellyaching is to try to influence the vote in 2020 ?

I didn't vote for Trump in 2016. I don't need anything from the government, and am fine with the government taking away any benefit progressives think I shouldn't have in the future...but I want that money to be used toward the debt. All of the people I know who agree with your POV, and also don't need anything from the government, want that tax money of mine (and presumably theirs) to go to toward their pet groups/projects instead.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:01 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
What I don't get is that there MUST be an easement for the border. Nobody can own ALL the land right up to the border, it just doesn't work that way. That easement is federal property. If they built on federal property, that's their own fault.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:08 AM

356 posts, read 281,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Being on the south side of the wall doesn't put them in Mexico. The official border isn't changing.
No, but it will keep them from getting to work or to the grocery store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies