Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

I think the inequality was brought on through religion- but as to this country, were we are all supposed to be equal! What is their PROBLEM? Female- 64 work in 99% male environment- and fought hard-- but 3rd of the top. for: EQUAL PAY and EQUAL SAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:47 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
The equal pay angle is a myth. It's politics not reality.

It's a false claim.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
If as a employer, I can get a employee to do a job for less money I will. Doesn't matter what sex they are. Also there is no such thing as same job same work. Everybody does their job in their own way. Even if they are on a assembly line where they should be exactly the same. Some people just get through the day with as little work possible and some people work harder then they really need to.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:09 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
And please, to all addressing the OP's question, please identify if you are a MALE or FEMALE (unless you, for whatever reason, wish to keep that information private).

It would be interesting, as well, to know what generation you came from (i.e., teen, young adult, middle-aged, senior), what political label(s) you tend to affix to yourself, and any other useful info. But, if that is too invasive for me to hope for, you can pass up on said requests.
Why is that important? So that you can attach a label and go on the attack?

If you are a husband, isn't it good to know that your wife is bringing in all the money that the job has the potential to pay, or is this about control?

Last edited by Tonyafd; 04-05-2017 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
The real problem with this entire debate starts with the definition of equal work.

Do they have the same experience?
Women are more likely to have holes in their work history. I know many women who took years out of the their prime working years to care for children.
Do they put in equal hours?
Women are more likely to take off for childcare. Plus, mothers are far more adamant about not missing Little Bobby's play than dads. And, of course, women are more likely to be single parents.
Are they as able or willing to travel for work?
See above.
Are they willing to move or be willing to insist on staying if spouse is offered a transfer?
Yeah, guess who the family will move for and who turns down promotions that include a move. The family is more likely to move for the husband. Women are more likely to turn down a promotion attached to a location transfer.
My husband saw his ability to financially support the family as his first priority as a spouse and parent. I saw my ability to care and nurture the family as my first priority as a spouse and parent. Our incomes reflect the difference in the career choices we made based on those priorities. Fortunately, he willingly has always shared his better bounty. The real problems arise when that is not the situation a lesser earner finds themselves in, especially during the active child rearing years or after retirement age.

I do think some of the gender lines are changing, but in a family generally one adult gets designated as the primary earner and the other as the primary caretaker. The caretaker, even one employed fulltime, will be the one in the worse financial position.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 AM

130 posts, read 71,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Because we already have laws in place

If a woman is really being paid less for the exact same work with no difference, the company is breaking the law

We don't need any more laws and inervention
This. When they say they want equal pay for equal work what I think they mean is they want MORE pay for equal work. They want to enter the work force 2-3 years after having kids and get paid the same as if they were working during that time. I am all for EQUAL rights. That is. Everybody is equal. These affirmitive action type laws that give benefits to some and detriment others based on what color skin or gender they were born with are a **** poor method of correcting inequality wouldn't you think? I am a man who is white. I am an individual. I am am not a statistic group. If I work for 2-5 years longer than a woman who took time off to care for children, which i support, then I should be paid more than her. Likewise if I took off a few years I would assume I deserve less pay with all other things being equal.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM

26,464 posts, read 15,053,236 times
I think the OP is flawed.

I've never heard anyone argue that it is okay to pay someone more or less simply based on gender.

I've heard people argue that there are complexities ignored by Elizabeth Warren - who claims women make 79 cents to the dollar of what a man makes.

Statistics show that:

-Men choose higher paying career fields.

-Men working fulltime work about 10% more hours than fulltime women on average

-Men take less sick days

-Men take less personal days

-Men are less likely to work part time at any point in their career.

-Men are ~4.5 times more likely to ask for a raise

-Men are less likely to take half a year or a whole year off (maternity is a common cause of this)

These things must be considered honestly as part of the equation.

I am all for enforcing the laws already on the books for equal pay, but I am also all for an honest discussion, which is something that Elizabeth Warren (and seemingly the OP) doesn't do.

Perhaps it is society and not biology that push women to take more time off of work and etc...where women are expected to be more of a parent than men. That would be a cultural problem more than employer discrimination.

The glass ceiling does seem to be real and I think is worth discussing.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Because we already have laws in place

If a woman is really being paid less for the exact same work with no difference, the company is breaking the law

We don't need any more laws and inervention
Exactly, just more liberal manufactured outrage over a non existent problem.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
It's been pushed by liberals and feminists even though it's been debunked.

The pay gap exists because women take lesser paying jobs, work less hours, turn down promotions, and take more time off work.

In fact, the most paid majors are male dominated while the least paid majors are female dominated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcDrE5YvqTs
Seriously, it's pretty simple, was debunked long ago, and people still bring it up as if the discussion has never happened. They've even shown how single women, who don't take significant time off, are paid MORE on average than men.

I just wish this issue would die, but people are so hyper-focused on the discrimination narrative - they see some type of inequality, conclude that it's due to discrimination or oppression, and then they gather info that supports their conclusion and ignore anything that doesn't fit.

It's seriously like a virus...one person gets addicted to that feeling of outrage, and then they start telling others "it's all discrimination against you!", and it's so easy to say "yeah, screw them. The system is against me because of X, and I have to fight for equal rights!" Lots of psychology at play here.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
This question is posted here by a male American citizen (and one who is even a senior now). Over the decades, I've wondered at times about the controversy of "EQUIAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK FOR WOMEN" in the USA (though it certainly can prevail elsewhere as well in the world-at-large outsde the USA). I've at times wondered, even as a male, the following question:
"For those in the U.S. population-at-large who do NOT suppport the concept of "equal pay for women for equal work" (believing instead that females should always or nearly always get paid less than males for the same job positions doing the same type and degree of work), what justifications would they give for supporting such a point-of-view?
That is, why is this issue still being fought over to this very day in the USA? I wouldn't normally think that one has to be a liberal or radiclib or leftist or a male or female feminist to support the concept of "equal pay for women for equal work". I would think that, even if I were a conservative or libertarian or moderate on a range of issues, supporting the idea of "equal pay for women for equal work" being codified into law should just be a matter of basic human decency. Is it reaqlly my place, as a male, to tell the entire female half of humanity that, across the board, they are less meritorious and less worthy than me of being paid equially for the same type, level, and degree of work simply because they have female genitalia instead of male genitalia? As competent and gifted as I am, I have worked with and among women in the same type of positions who were as competent as I and sometimes even more competent than I . . . and yet I should still always get paid MORE than they do because I am male rather than female? What kind of common sense and what kind of moral sense does such a position make?

So, to all male Americans (or even non-American males) who are reading this thread and who are opposed to the concept of "equal pay for women for equal work" being codified into law nationally, please explain and justify your position. I'm genuinely curious and intrigued as to what you would say about the matter. And please find it in youself to be intellectually honest here and hence to give a wholly truthful portrayal of what you really think and why you think this way.

And, for that matter, are there any WOMEN here who, even though being a women, you as well do NOT support the concept of "equal pay for women for equal work" being codified into law nationally. If so, please explain & justify your own position of being opposed to the presented concept of "equal pay for women for equal work" being codified into law nationally.
"For those males in the U.S. who do NOT support "equal pay for women for equal work",'

So, how many do you think that is?Hillary paid the men who worked for her LESS then she paid the women.

It just came out that Pocahontas Warren does the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies