Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:21 AM

62,695 posts, read 28,894,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I mean, I think there is a fair amount of people who do actually blame the employers. It just so happens that these people tend to also believe intervention in the free market is wrong at a fundamental level so the punishment on them should be less severe as a result.

I of course agree with you in spirit though. When companies near the border advertise across the border about a need for workers and then hire them in mass (which makes economic sense for them; they're not citizens so they don't rights really; they an be paid below minimum wage and be offered no benefits and there's nothing they can do.... they can't unionize or talk to their congress because they have no congress), then that's the problem that needs addressing. It's easier to blame the immigrants because they're too detached from us. Why blame the hard working American who's just doing what makes good business sense when you can blame the foreigner who clearly doesn't' respect our way of life enough to immigrate legally, right?

Your thinking is skewered. First off, illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" and both they and their greedy employers are breaking the law and are equally guilty. Good business sense should not include breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 11:32 AM

11,556 posts, read 9,290,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Good business sense should not include breaking the law.
I agree. I think that much harsher punishments for the businesses that engage in these practices, as well as greater enforcement of this law should be a priority. Yet I can imagine that politicians from both sides would not want to go through with this for various reasons

Old 04-05-2017, 11:35 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,216,747 times
Quote:
Your thinking is skewered. First off, illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" and both they and their greedy employers are breaking the law and are equally guilty. Good business sense should not include breaking the law.
I agree...

I don't understand how my thinking is skewed. You basically said "no you're wrong; you should think this:" then essentially repeated my point and added one other detail that I left out only because it didn't seem relevant or necessary to bring up.

And yes, illegal aliens are can be called illegal immigrants. "immigrant" is not an exclusively legal term; an immigrant is anyone who goes from one land to another to live permanently. That's the definition. There's no legal aspect attached to that, unless I use is specifically as a legal term (which I did not). Although, some of them aren't immigrants I suppose as many work seasonally and return to wherever they came from before once their work is done, and will return next year again to carry on.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM

51,606 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
So unless we don't stop illegal immigration from migrants looking for work, criminals and terrorists 100% the wall is useless? Even if we stop 50% of them it's not useless. It is a part of the solution along with fining the employers, e-verify and the anchor baby business.
What is so difficult to understand that the wall is an expensive boondoogle meant to distract the gullible from easier and far more effective solutions?

Old 04-05-2017, 12:09 PM

51,606 posts, read 25,642,689 times
It is all about supply and demand.

Wall or no wall, as long as there is a demand for undocumented workers, there will be a supply of them.

Eliminate demand and voila.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-05-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 PM

57,005 posts, read 25,978,952 times
It's much easier to sell a wall to voters than to remove workers from business establishments. Companies won't state it publically but the are petrified that they will lose illegal immigrants. Trump came up with a catchy campaign slogan, "Build a wall", sounds so much better than "Enforce E-Verify".

He proposed hiring 15,000 more border & ICE agents a few months ago but not sure where that went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies