Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
People have become very "soft" by and large because personal responsibility and accountability are no longer valued in our society. I't's much easier to blame others, and be "okay" with any type of behavior/attitude. Holding people responsible is usually met with defiance and hostility in todays culture. Why do people "go there" knowing the danger- simple, we don't think it will happen to us! By the time a person recognizes their addiction (If they ever do decide to face up to it), they are usually way past the time they crossed that line.
Thank you kindly for taking the time to leave a post that makes sense...not that others haven't, I just sometime get so annoyed at how people assume....

anyway, yes, I agree, my son says the very same thing as you when it comes to crime....

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
The primary cause of the heroin epidemic is the popularity of prescribed pain killers.

The pain killers are more expensive and harder to get so they turn to heroin.

There are bodies are physically addictive -- this is harder than kicking a smoking habit......it is physically more addictive and the probability of an overdose higher with heroin than any other drug like alcoholl or weed.

It isn't about the generation today being less committed -- it's about the cheap, availability of heroin over the costly harder to get painkillers that doctors too easily prescribed.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When I read these comments I see a whole bunch of ideas but few based on anything I have read online, seen documentaries about the problem or read articles online or in print.

Folks need to do a little more reading and less 'assuming' they know what the main causes might be -- what the actual problem is.
ok, so share, what are the actual problems...please tell.....

as I'm certain, there isn't one reason but many, right?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Opioids are extremely addictive, even in the short run, and I think we're seeing just how widespread pain pill addiction was.

Every other week, an acquaintance on Facebook seems to post an obituary of someone who was lost to the opioid epidemic. The stories are often similar 20s - 40s white professional, typically male (but not always), who had some kind of surgery and couldn't kick the pain pills after recovery. Most recently, it was a friend's cousin who was 45 and a firefighter who got hurt 3 years ago while fighting a fire, ended up on needed pain pills, and when his Rx was cut ended up turning to the street for heroin. He overdosed last week, leaving behind a wife and 3 kids.

On the flip side, it's also made it very difficult for people with chronic pain issues to get help.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM

http://www.economist.com/blogs/econo...st-explains-19

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 7,031 times
We have raised children who have been excused from their actions by allowing them to blame others and avoid accountability. We, as a society, have sought to be given pills for every problem instead of finding personal responsibility in things that pills wont really fix yet will alter the mind so it seems less occupied with the problem. We let pharmaceutical makers turn our communities into guinea pigs or cash cows at their choosing. We avoided mental health issues and instead allowed stigmas that doomed the potential for positive breakthroughs in mental health treatment to control those afflicted and those who treated it.

We walked along actually accepting the idea that "the problem wasnt our problem- it wouldnt happen to us- those things happen somewhere else- and addiction to drugs isnt possibly happening in this neighborhood" while in reality we couldnt see past the tip of our noses that the problem wasnt their problem- it is our problem.

Add to this the cycle of no escape for those afflicted who may be seeking treatment or have hit the bottom hoping to finally climb out and up but are left to be judged, shamed, and often forever branded due to criminal records related to drugs influencing their making poor choices...its like no matter what someone is willing to pay or how much penalty they are sentenced and serve- they can only accomplish that which a person who is not reformed recovered or released after paying their debt by serving the time(in treatment or jail)can accomplish.

Bringing me to the fluff-joke of a penal system we have in place called prison and punishment here in USA. We dont punish people- we put them in prisons where they often are living life much more comfortably than when they werent in prison. We feed shelter medically treat educate and over enforce rights of prisoners whose sentences rarely fot the crimes to the point that victims are again victimized thru the courts.

Last edited by pickingupthepieces; 04-05-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Opioids are extremely addictive, even in the short run, and I think we're seeing just how widespread pain pill addiction was.

Every other week, an acquaintance on Facebook seems to post an obituary of someone who was lost to the opioid epidemic. The stories are often similar 20s - 40s white professional, typically male (but not always), who had some kind of surgery and couldn't kick the pain pills after recovery. Most recently, it was a friend's cousin who was 45 and a firefighter who got hurt 3 years ago while fighting a fire, ended up on needed pain pills, and when his Rx was cut ended up turning to the street for heroin. He overdosed last week, leaving behind a wife and 3 kids.

On the flip side, it's also made it very difficult for people with chronic pain issues to get help.
It is heartbreaking to see how hard it is for folks with chronic pain issues now. Maybe we can find a happy medium and would it be better for folks to be taking the pain killers rather than taking to the heroin form the street?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Interesting site -- and shows the magnitude of the prescription pain killer epidemic. https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-to...se-death-rates

Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
The primary cause of the heroin epidemic is the popularity of prescribed pain killers.

The pain killers are more expensive and harder to get so they turn to heroin.
well, yes, I believe that has been established, however, even so, why were so many people invested in pain killers?

Why did Doctors get away with prescribing them so long?

I remember going to a doctor, and them not actually knowing what the problem was, so they wrote a prescription and said, here, take these, this will be the end of your problem. That to me was totally irresponsible.

but also, there is an underlying problem that no one seems to want to admit....

our society has grown weak....

it stems from parenting, giving kids everything, not allowing them to lose so when they grow up and do lose, they cannot handle it....why are 30 and 40 year olds living with their parents? How come parents are paying for college educations....why is spanking a kid for bad behavior called beating them....it certainly is not beating them?

If a kid doesn't make mistakes, the kid doesn't learn....you touch fire, your going to burn your finger, and yet, when all grown up they touch the fire anyway.

They cause it to rain and like it was said in the movie, "They stand out in the rain and scream, Oh ****, it's raining?"

People cannot deal with failure, mistakes, etc.
They can't problem solve, they have lost the concept of the fact, that your words, decisions, etc, effect so many other people in a negative way or in a positive way?

I'm not saying that all I've written here is the only root problem, but I feel personally, it is a huge additive.

People don't do things for one reason, but for many.

What would cause a human being to chance their life, their kids, their families?

I think part of the reason is, our adults are children....seriously, think about it.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
It is heartbreaking to see how hard it is for folks with chronic pain issues now. Maybe we can find a happy medium and would it be better for folks to be taking the pain killers rather than taking to the heroin form the street?
That is why I said on the first page that this ultimately falls on the government's shoulders. They usually act for political reasons, rather than reality. That is what happened here. The government interfered with long term doctor/patient relationships, and thousands have died as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies