Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:40 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
w
Why did Doctors get away with prescribing them so long?
You hit upon the answer to this already. You said there is too much money to be made in drugs. Bingo!

Big Pharma makes billions every year on these pills. That gives them plenty of profit to use towards "perks" to encourage doctors to prescribe them.

Many of the questions you are asking has the answer at the end of the "Follow the Money" trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
It's actually opiates, not just heroin.

As near as I can tell, the problem might be traced to over-prescription of opiate drugs by doctors. People get hooked, people start sharing it around, doctors simply kept writing scripts.

True story - a relative of mine has chronic back pain, and had large quantities of prescribed vicodin on hand. She and her church group would share their pain killers like candy among themselves, which I always found ironic, as their religion forbade drugs and alcohol.

When I was prescribed vicodin for pain management after surgery, I hated the reaction to the opiate so much that I only used up about a third of the rather large bottle and threw the rest of the pills away when I could manage to sleep without taking a pill before bedtime. My born-again relative was quite upset with me, as she could have shared the pills with the rest of her social circle. A few years later, when I had another unrelated surgery with painful after effects, my relative showed up on my door step with a big bottle of, you guessed it, Vicodin.

As near as I can figure, that's how the opiate epidemic might have started - there are people who believe that it's not drug abuse if someone (anyone) has a prescription for the pills.
Nice story...

I have a friend undergoing Chemo and Radiotherapy for colorectal cancer, their prescription reads 60 tabs of 5-325 Norco, Walgreens/Rite-Aid/etc. (chain pharmacies) will only release 10 at a time (that's 60 hours worth at their prescribed rate of one every 6 hours). I don't know how people get big bottles of "I-like-a-din", when someone with a condition that causes constant, often, extreme pain can only manage to have 10 released at a time. Maybe 5-10 years ago, but now, it's damn near impossible. Trying to get something stronger, and the restrictions are even tighter, except weirdly methadone, which they could get as a transdermal patch, but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax and they'd currently prefer to not go that route.

If someone is an oxy-addict how do they have these big bottles still? When prescribing has been significantly tied up for at least 7-10 years. Or we have different opinions of what a big bottle actually means, a full typical 1" diameter x 2.5" pill bottle isn't a big bottle IMHO. In fact I'd argue the restrictions are even longer than 7-10, last time I was prescribed Vicodin was 2008 for naso-sinus surgery, usual 1 tab 4x daily, I was prescribed only 16 Vicodin, while that was more than adequate (I took one during the entire recuperation) I'm not a normal patient, and I'm more comfortable being a little sore, that a little whacked (not that Vicodin whacks you that much, but when your drugs of choice are caffeine and adrenaline, it's the wrong kind of whacked, and I'm a stickler for a morning constitutional), I don't assume everyone has the same pain profile I experience, nor the same levels of [dis]comfort.

While overprescribing pain meds has been an issue previously, currently it's actually a problem of under-prescribing for typical pain management. The FDA/AMA have actually prompted this crisis, first by using a firehose on the "-one's" and prescribing opioids for issues like a bad scratch, or poison ivy, then by making it almost impossible to get a sufficient supply for pain management (or requiring those people to attend almost daily trips to their pharmacist). So the people who were responsibly managing their pain, are getting hit (and some turn to non-traditional methods of pain management), AND the irresponsible who have habits are also getting hit (and some turn to traditional methods of drug acquisition).

Old 04-05-2017, 09:47 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Some hospitals evaluate doctors on patient satisfaction. Patient satisfaction determines their pay. The docs give the people what they want.

DH had a stroke while washing second floor windows and fell from the ladder onto concrete. Broke a bunch of stuff including his cell. I was gone. The pain meds were making him crazy. Daughter told the docs to give him Tylenol and a sleeping pill at night. He was fine.

The dentists give us Oxy scrip for every little thing. We do not have them filled.

Saw a state rep from West VA. on tv telling of the huge amount of painkiller meds sent to a town in his state that was sparsely populated. Big pharma is making big money. so are the Mexican drug cartels. All that war on drugs has not stopped a thing.

This addiction epidemic is also a societal thing that has to do with people having no hope for a better life.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Heroin is cheaper to make than it used to be, so it's cheaper to buy now. Plus, at least in our area, it's cut with Fentanyl, which is 50 to a 100% more addictive then straight heroin. AND Fentanyl is relatively easy to manufacture. You can find directions to make it online.

Like I said, around our area, it's the fentanyl that's usually responsible for the overdoses.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Unless you've been an addict yourself or have ever been close to one (friend, family), it's hard to understand.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Unless you've been an addict yourself or have ever been close to one (friend, family), it's hard to understand.
This too -

Old 04-05-2017, 10:10 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
And this in the local paper today...

Quote:
Doctors convicted of operating Ann Arbor 'pill mill'. Federal officials say clinic near Ann Arbor prescribed more than 1.5 million Oxycodone pills, among other drugs.
Bolding added.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:10 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
yes, I've had 3 operations....
1st one, the doctor prescribed oxy....and vicodin for two total knee replacements….I did very well, and like other posters, lived with a bit of discomfort rather than take all that was prescribed.

the 3rd was back surgery, and wasn’t prescribed much, I had to bother a neighbor to go to the doctor, pick up the prescription and take it to the pharmacy. I did very well with that surgery to, but, it was a tough one, but always tried to get off the pain meds sooner than later.

In the first part of the knee replacements, it quickly got better, but for me, the back surgery was rough...

I also made a spreadsheet list of what I was taking, and every time I took something, wrote down the med and the time it was taken, which helped me remember and keep track.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes we do, with me, it was cigs, and I quit....but it was an addiction that was difficult to kick....

However, what I question is that people know beforehand how dangerous this drug is, why even go there?

and yes, your answer was, people turn to sex, money, drugs, etc....but why in the world would you chance your life, and your children's lives?

do you think part of the problem is, we're a very weak society? I mean, people don't do things for one reason, but for many.

I feel part of the problem is, we've grown very weak as a society.

Many of today's opiate users begin by using prescription medications. How many with doctors they trust would question what's prescribed for them? I personally know several people who've had opiates prescribed for them after minor procedures who found they needed nothing stronger than Tylenol or Aleve to get them thru their recovery but there are many who take a prescription to mean the drug holds no threat to them.

Last edited by burdell; 04-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Many of today's opiate users begin by using prescription medications. How may with doctors they trust would question what's prescribed for them? I personally know several people who've had opiates prescribed for them after minor procedures who found they needed nothing stronger than Tylenol or Aleve to get them thru their recovery but there are many who take a prescription to mean the drug holds no threat to them.

that makes a lot of sense, thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies