Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What other country grants its citizens natural rights that cannot be removed, and allows true free speech?

There is no other country in the world that gives its citizens as much freedom. Other countries have laws that can fine or jail people for offensive speech. Who determines what is offensive and what is not? Isn't that always changing with the times? That is not free.
I know this is a movie clip, but there is a lot of truth here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
I can say it because it's true. How the government of other countries treat their poor is irrelevant to my point which you completely ignored.

But to address your other point, I agree of course, many countries are much worst than America. I never claimed otherwise.
Uh, yes you did. You said America is the only country where vast numbers of its people hate the poor. It's not true! Not even close.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Since Americans are promised a republican form (no connection with republican party) and not a democrazy, it is wrong to believe that the USA is the greatest democrazy on Earth.
. . .
That 99.9999% can't accurately define the republican form, its origin and source, is tragic.
(No, it's not synonymous with "republic." The People's Republic of China is a republic, but not a republican form. No, it's not a "constitutional republic." The republican form existed BEFORE the USCON.)
. . .
What is UNIQUE about America is that no other nation on Earth has a republican form of government.

The IDEAL FORM of government (RFOG)
//www.city-data.com/forum/44489412-post60.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/44501652-post71.html
Except for, you know, all the other counties that have republican forms of government. Its true that a lot of so-called Republics are not Republics but the USA is not unique in having a republican form of government, I am living in a country that has that right now (its Constitution was actually based on the US Constitution).

Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
I think the US ranks about 16th in terms of Democracy rankings, the Swiss usually do very well, as they have referendums all the time and there is a lot of accountability.

Ranking – Democracy Ranking

Democracy Index - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Today

If you ask a Swiss person who their president is, they likely won't be able to tell you. And it's not because they are politically apathetic or uninformed. In Switzerland, citizens don't vote for their president.

Introducing Switzerland's peculiar brand of direct democracy. In this small alpine country, citizens elect a new Parliament every four years, and the Parliament chooses a group of seven councilors from different parties. They are the head of state. The presidency (a mostly symbolic role) rotates among the members every year. But the keystone of Swiss democracy is the regular use of referendums, in which citizens vote on everything from their town's new sports center to the country's immigration policy.

It's a pretty empowering idea because, as Michael Bechtel, professor of political science at the University of St. Gallen, explains, in a direct democracy there is "a stronger incentive for political elites to take into account citizen preferences when making choices." It might sound like a panacea for Occupy Wall Street types, but this is actually a complex system with both advantages and disadvantages.

The world's greatest democracy? - USA Today

Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
U.S. is overrated. Their country is a mess.

Any country that tells it's population that they're the best does so to distract them from the real issues.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Not American, so I've never felt pressured to pretend America is the best. It seems like Americans have this politically correct thing where they have to sugarcoat their country, otherwise they'll be seen as a traitor.

No realistic person believes America is the best democracy. Only two parties are represented in the mainstream, and both are puppets for the corporations. Not really that democratic in my opinion. The political discourse is very limited.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
When did the US become a democracy?

Allegedly when Hillary was supposed to be the president because she got more votes in Democratic states to run up her overall total.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think the US ranks about 16th in terms of Democracy rankings, the Swiss usually do very well, as they have referendums all the time and there is a lot of accountability.

Ranking – Democracy Ranking

Democracy Index - Wikipedia

Surprising that the USA is 16th in Democracies when we are not a Democracy.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Surprising that the USA is 16th in Democracies when we are not a Democracy.

Democracy - Oxford Dictionary

Democracy - Merriam Webster Dictionary

Democratic Republic - Wiki

Old 04-06-2017, 07:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I know this is a movie clip, but there is a lot of truth here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs
This is pure liberal propaganda where greatness is judged as which country gives out the most free stuff.

Here's a rebuttal with facts.

https://youtu.be/qOhDFCcmgvY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies