Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:49 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Sorry but I would NEVER rent to Section 8 tenants. Sorry not sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 02:47 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sorry but I would NEVER rent to Section 8 tenants. Sorry not sorry.
hope they make it a law--you must-- especially for VETS with vouchers!!!

Old 04-08-2017, 03:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I would never rent to section 8, and I would sell my house, keep it vacant, or burn it down before I ever did.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:26 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Also, while the tenant themselves may be an upstanding citizen, they often allow friends/family to stay at the property who bring crime, etc to the neighborhood. And, like it or not, there has long been a direct correlation between Section 8 vouchers and increased crime rates.
An older article about this, but still pertinent, and a good read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ystery/306872/

Old 04-08-2017, 04:05 PM

sad --- people - maybe non USA? there are many foreign investors- they push the VA buyers out as it is to buy a little house-

Old 04-08-2017, 04:12 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I don't think there should be a law telling a landlord to rent to anybody but I am in favor of rents that people can afford. Not everyone is going to be able to afford a house. There are low paid social workers, Walmart workers, older divorced people who are discriminated against in hiring--and lots of jobs don't pay enough to live on. Dual earners are usually fine but it's the single person who has a hard time, kids or no kids.

If rents are all $1500/month, how is a low paid worker going to afford to live anywhere that's safe and normal? Towns where I live are required to set aside a certain percentage of housing for low income people. If the rent is around $1200 and a section 8 person pays about $400 of it and then pays utilities and food, it works. Otherwise, the person can't afford to live near their job or in a normal--not high end--but just normal, neighborhood.

When I go to England I see people living in "council housing" and it's not that bad. Apparently when it consists of projects, all crammed in together, it's bad. But when it's an actual house, nice families move in and it gives them a decent and safe place to raise their kids. The parents do work and I don't know how their system works but it seems that you don't have to be extremely low income to quality. Probably in this country, as soon as the person starts to work, they get kicked off. Maybe that's why we get deadbeats in housing. I don't know. There's a huge division between rich and poor in this country and I think the poor who are trying, need a leg up. I have never seen the trashy people that are stereotyped on here--although I have heard about trashy people who are non section 8.

And most people do NOT have a family who they can conveniently move in with so that stereotype should end before it begins. If they did, they would. Also, 40 and 50 year old people do not usually make good room mates. Both would have furniture, dishes, all the household furnishings--how could they fit it all into one apartment? How could two entire families bunk together in an apartment? There has to be a good answer. I've never heard about these horrible section 8 people--only knew a few and they were former home owners who were just down on their luck. I think we need some compassion and I also agree that deadbeats and trashy slobs shouldn't be acceptable-they should be kicked to the curb--but that's not who I'm talking about.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:13 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
There are locations that they aren't supposed to be able to turn down Section 8. In those cases there's still a simple solution, refuse to do the repairs to pass the ridiculous inspection.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I am not a fan of section 8. It has ruined some good middle class neighborhoods and they're not coming back. Once these single moms move in with their children and then next thing you see is the boyfriend freeloading, then the mom's pregnant again and they cycle goes on and on.

I can't believe how true this stereotype is! I just heard of this EXACT scenario playing out with my friends young niece, a single mom. She isn't pregnant YET because this just took place a month or two ago ..subsidized apartment in a nice town, new bf who has a couple kids by different women already moved in despite the fact that she was approved based on her application to be living with another young woman! Total disregard of the rules created to help people like her get a leg up and I expect another baby before too long because birth control is stupid. OR something. I'm secretly hoping she gets found out and booted while simultaneously worrying about the little girl in the middle of it all.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
There is no excuse for waiting 18 years and letting her voucher expire. That tells me that she is being too picky about where she is willing to live. She can take her voucher anywhere. Why not take it some place with a higher vacancy rate and then try to find the dream house next year?

Sorry but I don't feel sorry for her.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:25 PM

A Lot of times there are the poor section housing areas which really breed crime- some have gotten better and they do NOT play- good credit- good conduct and income- wherever it is must be kept up. Many do not understand many older but independent or disabled also get vouchers- I was a leasing mgr for apt once and they had 4 apts with vouchers- think many new places are making them that way with the city approval or something with the new builds.
The rents are crazy- and do landlords care-- H NO- there is a lot of people really could care less america becomes a 3rd world country and we begin to bathe in the gutters and use it to cook soup- They just want their GREEN dollars- many people have 2 families or even 3 in places now- that's what it takes - what you want them to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies