Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That is even worse. My kid never had an ID before he got a driver's license.
Every child is issued with two sets of ID in the UK, the first is a birth certificate, the second is a National Health Service Number and Card with the name and address of your Local Family Doctor on it and which is linked to electronic medical records.

NHS Number - Wiki

The NHS Number - Your health records - NHS Choices

Birth Certificates - Gov.UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

"At the point of booking, when I booked online, if I could have flagged up that somebody's underage, that I need to put some ID in, either a passport or a birth certificate, and I need to put it in at that point and bring it with me," he said.

Father-daughter trip sparks Chertsey Travelodge alert - BBC News
You can also purchase a voluntary Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) Card if you so wish.

CitizenCard - Wiki

What is a Citizencard - Citizencard

Validate UK - PASS

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-07-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
What would those of you supporting this say to the daughter who had her trip ruined and crying her eyes out?
The sickness mined and brought to light by a thread like this leaves little doubt as to why we are so polarized today.

The Internet is the ultimate 2-edged sword. Our dependence on it has become profoundly entrenched even as we realize that the days before it were so much easier in which to enjoy a carefree afternoon.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:09 PM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
To karpha - my bad for not seeing it was a double room - but for all the others - just maybe that school teacher, Tad Cummins, who took off with his student may have been found by now if similar rules were applied at all hotel/motel locations.

Sorry - I'd rather be a little embarrassed and inconvenienced than allow things like this to happen.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
To karpha - my bad for not seeing it was a double room - but for all the others - just maybe that school teacher, Tad Cummins, who took off with his student may have been found by now if similar rules were applied at all hotel/motel locations.

Sorry - I'd rather be a little embarrassed and inconvenienced than allow things like this to happen.
If only our founders had had the wisdom and the foresight to see how dangerous this "freedom" thing really was.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:52 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
How would the staff know "what he has gone through?" They were doing their jobs!

What if this man was involved in child trafficking and the little girl had been kidnapped? However, she does look just like her dad.

The man was not accused of being a pedophile. This is a gross exaggeration. He was questioned by the police, not arrested. "Being accused" means he was either arrested or charged, which is not the case. I don't see handcuffs on the man. As the parent of a young girl, he should be grateful that people are looking out for her safety.

I certainly hope the staff isn't afraid to do its civil duty in the future because of all the bad press. Anyone who has worked with victims of sexual abuse realize it is important to separate people so the victim won't be afraid to talk. I'm sure once the young girl explained to the police that he was her real father and she was okay, the matter was resolved swiftly.
Hotel staff are supposed to be on the lookout for pedophiles as a part of their job description?

Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As a Mom -- not a single Mom - -but a mom -- I've travelled with my son with his hockey team. Whenever we flew i had a notarized letter from my husband saying he was aware and was okay with the trip. When my husband travelled with my son, he had a notarized letter from me.
Thats crazy. If someone question me with one of my own kids that last thing they are gonna get from me is a notarized letter.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Here is the Operation Makesafe Hotel Training Sheet - the advice is a bit vague and generalised.

Operation Makesafe Hotels Training Sheet

Operation Makesafe - Metropolitan Police

Operation Makesafe - City of London Police

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-07-2017 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-07-2017, 02:21 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
How would the staff know "what he has gone through?" They were doing their jobs!

What if this man was involved in child trafficking and the little girl had been kidnapped? However, she does look just like her dad.

The man was not accused of being a pedophile. This is a gross exaggeration. He was questioned by the police, not arrested. "Being accused" means he was either arrested or charged, which is not the case. I don't see handcuffs on the man. As the parent of a young girl, he should be grateful that people are looking out for her safety.

I certainly hope the staff isn't afraid to do its civil duty in the future because of all the bad press. Anyone who has worked with victims of sexual abuse realize it is important to separate people so the victim won't be afraid to talk. I'm sure once the young girl explained to the police that he was her real father and she was okay, the matter was resolved swiftly.
I would think a smart pedophile would book the room by themselves without the girl present and take the 13 years girl to the hotel room later. Someone who is being so upfront usually isn't doing anything wrong.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:49 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
If only our founders had had the wisdom and the foresight to see how dangerous this "freedom" thing really was.

I'm not really sure what your point is, but the "our founders" part is not really an issue here, as this happened in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I would think a smart pedophile would book the room by themselves without the girl present and take the 13 years girl to the hotel room later. Someone who is being so upfront usually isn't doing anything wrong.

Sociopaths can be incredibly convincing.

Bottom line is, if this story had played out differently, and the story had been about a dead child found in a hotel room, instead of an offended father, lots of people would be asking why no one who saw them check in spoke up.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:12 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
This is how men are treated in this ****ing society. As if we are automatically guilty of something.
This happened in England, not in the United States.

The teenager looks a lot like her dad. Enough so that, IMO, anyone with common sense could tell that the dad was telling the truth. I wonder if any of the employees noticed the resemblance, but just continued in CYA mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies