Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 08:35 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/press-age...082550089.html
Quote:
BEIRUT (AP) — Warplanes on Saturday struck the Syrian town where a chemical attack had killed scores of people earlier this week, as Turkey warned that a retaliatory U.S. missile strike on a Syrian air base would only be "cosmetic" if greater efforts are not made to remove President Bashar Assad from power.
If the U.S. raid was intended to send a message, I don't think Assad was listening. More cynically, it was just a U.S. show intended to bring Trump's job approval ratings higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 08:37 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
To the OP, Russia didn't want this. So if Trump is in Russia's pocket why did this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/press-age...082550089.html
If the U.S. raid was intended to send a message, I don't think Assad was listening. More cynically, it was just a U.S. show intended to bring Trump's job approval ratings higher.
I think the message was directed at North Korea and China. Also, this defangs the argument that Trump is in Russia's pocket.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The Russian military, privately, was completely humiliated by this attack. This was an airbase under their protection. They were powerless to stop the attack. They are going to say anything to save face.

And that's why I don't trust them. I don't believe they are just going to take the attack and do nothing. I believe they have something up their sleeve or planning something down the road. They will do something to show their military might, something to get us back or make us look bad. It could not be them directly, but their backing could be all over it. That's just my personal belief, they don't like us anyway and how dare we show them up.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Think CNBC said possible a Putin act to push mr T. Up,? I do not know but - although it's like a fire cracker it exploded but did not make a hole in the sidewalk. Not sure what is gong on, pre-calculated? Poor people !! The bombings are back on,,, 24 hrs later in Syria, what did we accomplish?
Nothing accomplished but a bump in Donny's lagging poll numbers which will be short lived. Just like in golf Donny may have a short game but totally lacking in a long game. BO however had one, which was to stop starting wars in the middle east!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So Donny lobs some missiles from an aircraft carrier with no threat of return fire because he was moved by a chemical attack on Syrian children. However the very next day, the Syrian Air Force takes off from the same airstrip that was bombed by said missiles, and rains down terror and death (non chemical) to the same town but different children and civilians and nothing happens.

To me it suggests that the missiles were nothing but a political and impulsive move because it is doubtful Donny has a comprehensive plan to topple and remove Assad from power. So that being the case why do it, and just so you know I have no interest in sending our troops to Syria, just like BO and the Congress in 2013.

So per usual, a typical Donny move which is a lot of sound and fury, but signifying nothing.

Am I wrong Trumpies or are you ready to invade another Middle Eastern Country?
I guess you have TDS. My own view is that this is quite the relief after Obama's years of ineffectual high-fiving and glass-clinking diplomacy. Getting drawn deep into this mess would be a major mistake.

What we're seeing is just another country riven by tribal conflicts thousands of years old. Rather than clashing scimitars and middle of the night raids on oases occupied by hostile tribes, we are seeing 6th Century rivalries fought with 21st Century weaponry. We certainly cannot welcome these people to the West since you can take the tribes out of the battle but you can't take the battle out of the tribes. Ditto their treatment of Western women and schoolchildren.

But there are situations that call for symbolic responses. This is one of them.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think Libya was a NATO action perhaps checked in with the UN....let's check....ok, sure
"On 17 March 2011 the UN Security Council passed Resolution 1973,[78] with a 10–0 "

HENCE - Libya was not a unilateral move of any sort. Right? Read up on it.
The argument was the Senate had to approve of any actions like this. Did they approve Libya?

Old 04-08-2017, 08:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
So Donny lobs some missiles from an aircraft carrier with no threat of return fire because he was moved by a chemical attack on Syrian children. However the very next day, the Syrian Air Force takes off from the same airstrip that was bombed by said missiles, and rains down terror and death (non chemical) to the same town but different children and civilians and nothing happens.

To me it suggests that the missiles were nothing but a political and impulsive move because it is doubtful Donny has a comprehensive plan to topple and remove Assad from power. So that being the case why do it, and just so you know I have no interest in sending our troops to Syria, just like BO and the Congress in 2013.
So what are you babbling about then? It makes no sense to chide Trump for making only a limited attack and claim to be against U.S. involvement in Syria at the same time.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:56 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:

So per usual, a typical Donny move which is a lot of sound and fury, but signifying nothing.

Am I wrong Trumpies or are you ready to invade another Middle Eastern Country?
I think for the first time you may be right about something concerning Trump (I guess there is a first time for everything).

I don't think Trump has any interest in, as you said, to "topple and remove Assad", that would be fairly foolish, especially considering that the gas attack was likely a false flag.

I don't know how interested in regime change Obama was, but he was forced into it by powerful people in, and out of the government. These same people are putting a lot of pressure on Trump to continue the regime change that we have been engaged in for the last couple of decades.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:02 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,607 times
Everyone knows that Adolph Hitler existed. No one disputes that.

The terror and destruction that this madman inflicted upon the world are universally recognized. Hitler came from a poor family which had absolutely no social position.

He was a high school drop-out and nobody ever accused him of being cultured.

Yet this man tried to conquer the world.

During his early career he sat in a cold garret and poured onto paper his ambitions to rule the world. We know that.

Similarly, we know that a man named Vladimir Ilich Lenin also existed. Like Hitler, Lenin did not spring from a family of social lions.

The son of a petty bureaucrat, Lenin, who spent most of his adult life in poverty, has been responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of your fellow human beings and the enslavement of nearly a billion more.

Like Hitler, Lenin sat up nights in a dank garret scheming how he could conquer the world. We know that too.

Is it not theoretically possible that a billionaire could be sitting, not in a garret, but in a penthouse, in Manhattan, London or Paris and dream the same dream as Lenin and Hitler?

You will have to admit it is theoretically possible.

Julius Caesar, a wealthy aristocrat, did. And such a man might form an alliance or association with other like-minded men, might he not? Caesar did.

These men would be superbly educated, command immense social prestige and be able to pool astonishing amounts of money to carry out their purposes.

These are advantages that Hitler and Lenin did not have.

It is difficult for the average individual to fathom such perverted lust for power.

The typical person, of whatever nationality, wants only to enjoy success in his job, to be able to afford a reasonably high standard of living complete with leisure and travel. He wants to provide for his family in sickness and in health and to give his children a sound education.

His ambition stops there. He has no desire to exercise power over others, to conquer other lands or peoples, to be a king. He wants to mind his own business and enjoy life.

Since he has no lust for power, it is difficult for him to imagine that there are others who have … others who march to a far different drum.

But we must realize that there have been Hitlers and Lenins and Stalins and Caesars and Alexander the Greats throughout history.

Why should we assume there are no such men today with perverted lusts for power?

And if these men happen to be billionaires is it not possible that they would use men like Hitler and Lenin as pawns to seize power for themselves?

Old 04-08-2017, 09:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I guess you have TDS. My own view is that this is quite the relief after Obama's years of ineffectual high-fiving and glass-clinking diplomacy. Getting drawn deep into this mess would be a major mistake.

What we're seeing is just another country riven by tribal conflicts thousands of years old. Rather than clashing scimitars and middle of the night raids on oases occupied by hostile tribes, we are seeing 6th Century rivalries fought with 21st Century weaponry. We certainly cannot welcome these people to the West since you can take the tribes out of the battle but you can't take the battle out of the tribes. Ditto their treatment of Western women and schoolchildren.

But there are situations that call for symbolic responses. This is one of them.
Symbolism is for amateurs and pandering politicians but not leaders of powerful countries.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies