Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:52 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I doubt that will happen as long as we're saddled by the two-party black & white view of a multi-colored world.

As much as I dislike Trump and believe him unsuited for the presidency I would have voted for him as an (I). I think the country could withstand 4 years of almost anyone and he may actually have been able to pull off a third party win. I'd view a smack-down of both major parties as the best thing that could happen for the long-term health of this country.
Amen.
End gerrymandering for a start.
Term limits
All contributions public knowlege.
No lobbying from former congress people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:03 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Amen.
End gerrymandering for a start.
Term limits
All contributions public knowlege.
No lobbying from former congress people.

I agree with 3 out of 4, term limits is something I have mixed feelings about for 2 reasons.

1) I think people should be able to vote for their personal choice.

2) It forces the retirement of good people. And yes, I know it often appears that 'good people' and Congress are incompatible terms but there are some, and forcing the good ones out seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
I agree with 3 out of 4, term limits is something I have mixed feelings about for 2 reasons.

1) I think people should be able to vote for their personal choice.

2) It forces the retirement of good people. And yes, I know it often appears that 'good people' and Congress are incompatible terms but there are some, and forcing the good ones out seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
I agree strongly with none of the 4, though I can go back and forth on term limits. As you mentioned, there is the personal choice aspect which makes me inclined to not support term limits. But, given that many people just go by name recognition and don't actually seriously investigate candidates for office, term limits may be a good idea/way of forcing "fresh" blood onto the scene.

As for making contributions public: I'm against it primarily due to the blacklisting that folks on both sides of the aisle are quick to utilize if someone's contributions don't align with their ideology.

Gerrymandering reform I'm also against generally-speaking as I want to live in a district where my representative isn't going to be going back and forth on issues trying to appease everyone. Take away partisan gerrymandering and this is what you get as districts become less ideologically rigid. While I'm not inherently opposed to compromise (I do value consistency, though, and not consistently being inconsistent), I do not see compromise as inherently a good thing either.

In terms of lobbying by former members of Congress, I'm generally against placing limits on what now private citizens can do to earn a living (so long as folks' physical safety isn't at risk, etc.).

Old 04-05-2017, 12:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
If they can get tea-party types out of politics, that would be a good thing. It's the presence of extremists on the left and right that is pushing the country apart. The tea-party people can go off and have a tea party somewhere--just keep their extremist religion OUT of our government! Maybe they can go set up their own theocracy somewhere. Give them some free land and let them set up a utopia without any government and see how long it lasts.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:39 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
In terms of lobbying by former members of Congress, I'm generally against placing limits on what now private citizens can do to earn a living (so long as folks' physical safety isn't at risk, etc.).
I can see your opposition to placing restrictions on what private citizens can/cannot do but non-competition clauses are common in business agreements so under that guise I think keeping former legislators form lobbying for 8-10 years would be a reasonable restriction as long as they were told the terms of their employment going in, might be a good way of weeding out those who see a term or two in Congress as a path to lobbying $$$. Or better yet let's gut the lobbying industry itself.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:43 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
I doubt that will happen as long as we're saddled by the two-party black & white view of a multi-colored world.

As much as I dislike Trump and believe him unsuited for the presidency I would have voted for him as an (I). I think the country could withstand 4 years of almost anyone and he may actually have been able to pull off a third party win. I'd view a smack-down of both major parties as the best thing that could happen for the long-term health of this country.
yes and mental stability....I cannot believe adults mind you are acting so childish....and ya gotta wonder if they have kids?

Old 04-06-2017, 03:35 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
Default Mega-donor urged Bannon not to resign

Mega-donor urged Bannon not to resign - POLITICO

The man credited with honing Donald Trump’s populist message and guiding him into the White House has grown frustrated amid continued infighting in the West Wing, so much so that in recent weeks a top donor had to convince him to stay in his position.

Five people, including a senior administration official and several sources close to the president, tell POLITICO that Bannon, one of Trump’s closest advisers, has clashed with the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, who’s taken on an increasingly prominent portfolio in the West Wing. Bannon has complained that Kushner and his allies are trying to undermine his populist approach, the sources said.

The Mercers certainly seem to have a lot of influence in this WH. They seem like an interesting bunch.

The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency - The New Yorker

Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Mega-donor urged Bannon not to resign - POLITICO

The man credited with honing Donald Trump’s populist message and guiding him into the White House has grown frustrated amid continued infighting in the West Wing, so much so that in recent weeks a top donor had to convince him to stay in his position.

Five people, including a senior administration official and several sources close to the president, tell POLITICO that Bannon, one of Trump’s closest advisers, has clashed with the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, who’s taken on an increasingly prominent portfolio in the West Wing. Bannon has complained that Kushner and his allies are trying to undermine his populist approach, the sources said.

The Mercers certainly seem to have a lot of influence in this WH. They seem like an interesting bunch.

The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency - The New Yorker

Bannon didn't resign. He stepped back from what was always the plan. He is Trumps right hand advisor. His appointment to the NSC was only temporary from the start until Flynn got settled in and the Deep State kept out. Bannon got McMasters trained and now Bannon is off to the NSA to snoop for corruption and oversight(after the Susan Rice deal.(expect Breitbart to get a lot of juicy stuff)

Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bannon didn't resign. He stepped back from what was always the plan. He is Trumps right hand advisor. His appointment to the NSC was only temporary from the start until Flynn got settled in and the Deep State kept out. Bannon got McMasters trained and now Bannon is off to the NSA to snoop for corruption and oversight(after the Susan Rice deal.(expect Breitbart to get a lot of juicy stuff)
The point of the article is that he wanted to resign but didn't.

I'm sure Breitbart will have some interesting stuff - when you just make **** up as they do, the possibilities are endless!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

How in the hell did Steve Bannon "train" General McMasters?

General McMasters probably knows 1000 times more about U.S. foreign policy than Bannon ever will.

Bannon is a fat, greasy haired moron who doesn't belong anywhere near our Federal Government.

The same can be said about Donald Freaking Trump.

"Bannon got McMasters trained"......

Yeah.....ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies