Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The skills gap is very real and is only getting larger.

I remember several years back, my son recounted how Dell had opened a factory somewhere in NC and had planned to hire a lot of local people. Fast forward a few years and they closed the factory because they never could find enough people with the requisite skills to work there.
He also says that in the years that he has been in the Army (20), the new enlistees that come in each year are less and less capable of comprehending the manuals that they are supplied in the engineering corps.

There isn't a large pool of people coming out of HS that immediately qualify for the types of jobs that manufacturing is offering today.
And convincing people who have incurred large student loans that manufacturing is a a viable way to pay them off will continue to be difficult unless employers change the way they view these workers.

It's a real uphill battle.
Absolutely correct. A lot of millennials are not too fond of working in a manufacturing environment, either.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Absolutely correct. A lot of millennials are not too fond of working in a manufacturing environment, either.
your dad's generation said the same damn thing about yours.

Oh those darn kids today's with their comics.

Damn lazy hippies.

Useless punk's

Freakin Millennials.

hmmm maybe the problem isn't the kids, maybe it is the old angry people who see their world closing in and want to pretend what follows is flawed.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
your dad's generation said the same damn thing about yours.

Oh those darn kids today's with their comics.

Damn lazy hippies.

Useless punk's

Freakin Millennials.

hmmm maybe the problem isn't the kids, maybe it is the old angry people who see their world closing in and want to pretend what follows is flawed.
I never said any of those things about millennials, so don't put words in my mouth. Manufacturing is going to need people in its high tech future, and it's going to have to look to other countries to find those people.

And quit whining.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
The Trump Train is hitting on all cylinders and the left doesn't know how to handle it. Home builder confidence is soaring as well.

Home builder confidence soared to highest level in 12 years as Trump rolls back regulations
I'm so tired of these builders who have to develop on every piece of land they can find. They cut down mature trees, burden our school systems and our roads. Yeah, they get a hefty price for their homes but what do we get. Depending on where you live nature is being destroyed by these developers. We don't need more new homes. It's pretty outrageous that developers are more important to Trump then the people.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm so tired of these builders who have to develop on every piece of land they can find. They cut down mature trees, burden our school systems and our roads. Yeah, they get a hefty price for their homes but what do we get. Depending on where you live nature is being destroyed by these developers. We don't need more new homes. It's pretty outrageous that developers are more important to Trump then the people.
Arizona is growing too much. The school district I work in has 24 schools, 19 are elementary K-8, 4 are high schools and one is an alternative school. The sad part, we keep seeing an expansion in student population and developments. I'm not chicken little when it comes to Arizona's water supply like some are, but I don't know where equilibrium is for us and I don't want to find out the hardway...

Old 04-11-2017, 01:29 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Can you point to anything Trump has done in the last ~80 days to create manufacturing jobs?

Old 04-11-2017, 01:36 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Can you point to anything Trump has done in the last ~80 days to create manufacturing jobs?
Missiles don't make themselves.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, I agree. Have you seen some of the people who come out of places like nursing schools ? THOSE are some real losers . They go into fields like this to avoid hard work. That is why there is such a glut of nurses looking for work these days.
This is funny on so many levels.

Nursing has a severe shortage in this country.

Nursing 'school' is a four year undergrad program only now a days.

You may be talking about orderlies.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Much better than what many face today.

Center city Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis would love for a plant with good paying jobs to open.
But the only way a manufacturing company of any size would relocate there is if the federal,state or municipal govt. GIVE them something to build there.

Manufacturers, businesses relocate or locate in areas that are 'attractive' to their employees -- including upper management.

Hence the growth in areas that are geographically more attractive then say ....any of these cities...plus the problems with the municipal govt.

You can blame the residents of those cities for their problems but the bigger issue is the municipal governments that are incompetent.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
And are plants being built in inner cities? Seems more often plants are relocated to rural southern states that have no Union presence.
BINGO!!! You win. Right to work states and more pleasing climate for employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies