Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:40 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,898,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Right, because taxes ( theft) are what makes us civilized over those who live in the Congo
Yes, all "taxes are theft" societies are hellholes with extreme inequality, rampant social problems and rule by a tiny super rich oligarchy. This is always the end result of the "taxes are theft" ideology. Thats why the richest people in America support it, like the Koch brothers with their propaganda arms to dupe people.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM

778 posts, read 335,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Don't you just love liberals already planning on how to spend the "extra" money.

Not even realizing that the reason they raised taxes was because of the a shortfall.

Jerry Brown's 12-Cent Gas Tax Passes Legislature on Deadline - Breitbart

Hope you know that there are millions of us here in CA that hate this crap, vote against this crap, work to elect anyone BUT liberals, so go ahead and gloat, but just know that not everyone in this state supports these policies and are getting screwed over by the liberals and don't really love people we are ideologically aligned with laughing at us!

Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM

44,987 posts, read 26,141,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yes, all "taxes are theft" societies are hellholes with extreme inequality, rampant social problems and rule by a tiny super rich oligarchy. This is always the end result of the "taxes are theft" ideology. Thats why the richest people in America support it, like the Koch brothers with their propaganda arms to dupe people.
So if we didn't have taxes extracted at bayonet point, we'd be running around in loin cloths?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,924,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Because air quality and smog affects everyone, not just you. You're also really brilliant too. Want to breath in smog and die earlier? Go for it. Not me.

No one is dictating what you drive, you're just paying extra to smog up the air. Discouraging is different from dictating. Get your vocabulary in line.

Go back and look at Downtown LA in the 50s and 60s. Look how smoggy it was. Compare it to now. You're telling me regulation/taxation doesn't work?

If I wanted as the government to dictate something, I would enact a law to outlaw SUVs and trucks completely from being sold.
Quote:
My statement was never intended to be a fully detailed legislation. Of course SUVs and trucks wouldn't be outlawed completely. You think the goal is to get rid of a section of the market?

Hence a gas tax increase is a better way.
Sorry if I can't follow your changing arguments.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,796,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Did you actually read it?

It's also an excise tax, it's also an increase in registration. The old tax was supposed to be for roads to but, just like this one, it wasn't and won't be used to repair roads. But hey, at least the poor, illegals and electric car guys will get to feel this one too.
I did read it, plus that's incorrect.

Car registration is now progressively taxed. The more expensive vehicle you own, the higher it costs you to register the car. Which makes sense and fine by me.

Gas tax hike to take effect in November in California | abc7.com
Quote:
- $24.4 billion by raising the gasoline excise taxes 12 cents per gallon, or 43 percent above the current rate of 27.8 cents starting Nov. 1.

- $7.3 billion by raising the current 16-cent-a-gallon diesel excise tax by 20 cents - a 125 percent increase starting Nov. 1.

- $3.5 billion by increasing the state diesel sales tax from 9 percent to 13 percent starting Nov. 1.

- $16.3 billion from an annual transportation improvement fee based on a vehicle's value, similar to what owners already pay annually to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, beginning next year. The fees range from $25 for vehicles valued at less than $5,000 to $175 for vehicles topping $60,000. The administration says nearly nine-in-10 vehicles would be assessed a fee of $50 or less.

- $200 million from a new $100 annual fee on zero-emission vehicles model year 2020 and later.

- $706 million in repayments of transportation funds that had previously been loaned to the state's General Fund.

The money would be split between state and local governments. Here's where it would go:

- The local share includes $15 billion to fix potholes, $7.5 billion for public transportation and $1 billion for walking and biking trails.

- The state share includes $15 billion for highway repairs, $4 billion for bridge and culvert repairs, $2.5 billion to reduce traffic on major commuter routes.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:44 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,898,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So if we didn't have taxes extracted at bayonet point, we'd be running around in loin cloths?
No taxes would lead to anarchy yes. One of the best ways to get people on board with this ideology is to support means testing of all programs to make sure the middle class dont benefit from publicly funded programs. Its a deliberate policy to get working stiff riled up against taxes and vote against their own interests.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,796,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Sorry if I can't follow your changing arguments.
I was showing an example of what it means to dictate what cars people drive versus discouraging.

They are different things.
Discouraging: taxing certain things more/less
Dictate: outlaw certain vehicles all together

Now, how does one equate discouraging with dictating because of a gas tax increase is beyond me.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:47 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
Quote:

Car registration is now progressively taxed. The more expensive vehicle you own, the higher it costs you to register the car. Which makes sense and fine by me.

You changed your goal posts, again. You said 12 cent gas tax, so what's the big deal. Plenty of cars use diesel.

- $7.3 billion by raising the current 16-cent-a-gallon diesel excise tax by 20 cents - a 125 percent increase starting Nov. 1.

- $3.5 billion by increasing the state diesel sales tax from 9 percent to 13 percent starting Nov. 1.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,924,835 times
Just a reminder that sometimes people make up completely absurd BS so they can create drama and back into ridiculous straw man analogies that aren't true. Plenty of taxes being paid in the Congo.

Congo, Democratic Republic of the - Taxes on personal income

Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,587,189 times
Quote:

You changed your goal posts, again. You said 12 cent gas tax, so what's the big deal. Plenty of cars use diesel. I guarantee my registration won't be going down and it's a 2002.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies