Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:57 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
About that trucker who drove off leaving the company's trailer detached because he was freezing and needed to get help . . . uh, didn't the truck have a heater in it?

If it had a heater, he could have kept from freezing.

I think he had a heater.

I think Gorsuch knew about the heater.

I think the company knew about the heater.

You decide.
I think you're right.

Doesn't matter. The question put to was court was, "Does existing law allow for teh termination of the trucker in those conditions?"
Gorsuch said, "Yes. The law allows for that."

Laws should be made by applicable legislatures, not by judges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think you're right.

Doesn't matter. The question put to was court was, "Does existing law allow for teh termination of the trucker in those conditions?"

And Gorsuch was wrong.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:03 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A judge's job is to decide what is legal. Not what he thinks is right or moral.
His job is to serve the most powerful and richest people in America. Thats why a huge ad campaign was launched paid by billionaires and corporate America to make sure he got confirmed. He is a darling of the elite, so naturally he will serve the elite at the expense of working class Americans.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And Gorsuch was wrong.
Gorsuch is now a Justice of The Supreme Court.

The other judges in the case will remain obscure for the rest of their lives.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Gorsuch is now a Justice of The Supreme Court.

The other judges in the case will remain obscure for the rest of their lives.
Not to the man on whose case they ruled.

Meanwhile Gorsuch will continue to serve the corporations that paid for him.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:19 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
His job is to serve the most powerful and richest people in America. Thats why a huge ad campaign was launched paid by billionaires and corporate America to make sure he got confirmed. He is a darling of the elite, so naturally he will serve the elite at the expense of working class Americans.
Apparently Mr. Gorsuch doesn't wanna speak about that part:

Quote:
Democrats questioning Supreme Court nominee Neil M. Gorsuch took aim at the millions of dollars from unidentified donors that have gone to a political organization advocating for his confirmation.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) sparred with Gorsuch extensively on the issue, ultimately calling on him to publicly urge the donors to the group to reveal themselves.

Gorsuch demurred.

Whitehouse also asked Gorsuch to opine on why the donors are so invested in seeing him on the court.

“You’d have to ask them,” Gorsuch said.

Whitehouse shot back: “I can’t because I don’t know who they are. It is just a front group.”

The exchange seemed to annoy the otherwise unflappable nominee. ...
'Nobody speaks for me,' Gorsuch says of 'dark money' group - LA Times

Why more American people are not annoyed about continues to baffle.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:22 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A judge's job is to rule by the law not to rule by his or her feelings.
Then why don't we just do away with having human justices and have computers compute the rulings?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:49 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

It's Bill Maher. You can pretty much toss out everything he says because of his very liberal bias.
While Bill Maher could show some empathy for his fellow human beings by eating a bullet, he declines to do for reasons he has failed to adequately explain.

At least Gorsuch had a reasonable explanation for his dissent.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That is what happened in the past when the "Judges decide what is legal, not what is nice or fair."

The Supreme Court's Failure To Protect Blacks' Rights : NPR
Actually those courts thought it was nice to screw blacks.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:25 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
I think you're right.

Who makes up the legislators - many lawyers! Who influences the legislators - special interest! See; that is why many of us voted for Trump; we wanted to get away from special interest calling the shots.

Talking about laws that are not trucker friendly; take PA's remove snow from roof before going on the road law. I will guarantee that no legislator has ever been on a fiberglass or aluminum truck roof, thirteen and a half feet above the pavement, with the wind blowing and the snow blinding you. Aluminum is super slick with snow or ice on it and it is very possible that one could get blown off the roof. It isn't only that; but they never compelled the shippers and terminals to supply the equipment necessary to clear our roofs. Actually, some of the larger terminals, do have roof rakes (basically a plow that slides over the roof and removes the snow as the truckers drive under). But small terminals and mom and pop shippers have no tools available. How many trucks have you ever seen with ladders mounted up to the roof? So here you go again: The trucker pulls into a small terminal, with nobody there, in the middle of the night and they have to pick up a trailer with snow or ice on the roof. Do they refuse the load? Do they try to get somebody out to clear the roof when nobody is available? Do they wait for the terminal to open during the day to be told to take the load and go? Of course they will still be fined if caught on the highway and everything is ultimately the trucker's fault.

That law was a kneejerk reaction to a grandmother that was killed from a flying hunk of ice. I would absolutely guarantee you that more truckers would die clearing their roofs than motorist saved. Many motorist can avoid the flying ice and snow simply by leaving more distance when they start to see the snow or ice starting to fly off the roof.

Like I said before; I am glad I am not driving today! I wonder how robotic truck drivers will clear their snow and ice off the roof's when they take over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies