Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You only said what you said because you don't support him. The facts outweigh your opinion of Trump.
Well I don't notice it with the restaurants and I could easily blame recent restaurants closing on him. What facts are required for my observation? I guess you've never heard of coincidences before. My point was you find observations like that as a bruise to his ego so even though I never said the words "it was definitely Trump's fault!" that's how you took it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I do feel like our societies shopping habits are changing because of the net. We are getting lazy, I know I am. I now have to schedule activity to stay busy. I don't just stay busy getting things done anymore.

The question is if it's progress or not. lol
The only thing I really don't like about brick and mortar stores these days is I feel like fainting when I get in there after a while. I am thinking maybe it's the lights they use but it wasn't until a few years ago that this has happened.

It's progress but it isn't at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think places like DSW, outlet malls, and Marshalls, Ross and the like killed Payless. I can get New Balance sneakers, Kenneth Cole Sandals, and Naturalizer pumps for about $25 at those places. Why would I go to Payless?
I've been to Marshall's plenty of times but they don't seem to have as much selection as Payless. Payless also had the Safe T Step Shoes and the dress shoes are pretty comfortable. I've never been to the DSW though.
I notice my Payless isn't on the list to go even though we have a Ross and a Marshalls here. We also have a Foot Locker (I forgot about that but that's a different style of shoes so...)

I am not surprised that HH Gregg went out though really recently because I went in there for the closeout and their prices are ridiculous. They did have decent price on the smaller items like earbuds though but I missed out on the discount for them.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:52 AM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
so much easier to shop online. Compare prices, products, features, reviews. I shop at stores that have free shipping/returns or buy enough to get the free shipping. Many places you can shop online and then return at the brick and mortar -- dam right -- I buy what I need to get me over the free shipping and return what I really don't need/want....
Hopefully, we will see more synergy between shopping/researching online and dealing with brick and mortar stores.

I like to research and buy online, then pick up for free at the nearest affiliated storefront. The bulk shipping is savings for everyone. Currently, the pickup is often clunky, but should improve.

I hate having to ship a return. The online/B&M synergy allows me to just drop the return off.

Some B&M websites will show exactly where the item is located in the store.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I agree about decades ago with stores like Sears that had awesome customer service. They had decently paid knowledgeable salespersons who knew their product. The retailers have cut corners and staff their stores with miserable minimum wagers. That's why customer service is so poor unless you go to a high end place.

I would rather shop online anymore. I got tired of going to messy stores where the shelves are empty. Irritable minimum wage workers and the managers (couple a bucks above min wage) who don't seem to give a hoot.\

Maybe the empty shopping centers will become squats for all the homeless ex workers of those places.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:40 AM

760 posts, read 768,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Lowes and HD are sort in of a unique market.........it is hard to ship paneling and shower stalls.
Actually it's not, the items are shipped to the stores in the first place... I've bought kitchen appliances- fridge, stove, and large skylights for the roof all on line.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:41 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
I live in DFW and even in a large metro area the selection in the stores lately is terrible -- it's like Russia in the 80's. I went to the mall looking for a bedspread. What a complete waste of time. Went to 7 stores found nothing. I am now an online shopping covert. Who has an entire day to waste hoping your local store "might" have something you are looking for?

After my futile trip to the mall, I wondered if the economy is not doing so hot and people are still not shopping OR are stores just not stocking like they used to due to online shopping?

Old 04-10-2017, 05:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Depends on the item.
Appliances local.
Clothes and food local.
Big items local.

Specialty stuff all Ebay.
Certain things with crazy high prices in the store. Ebay. I get my cables from some guy in VA who buys bulk cable and ends and charges by the foot.

I sell appliances as my second job entirely on commission. "I bought this online and cant figure it out" is met by me declining and giving you the phone number to the internet. I cannot nor will I interfere with an internet order. I personally make sure to never waste a salesman's time if I am going to order online.

I think the future belongs to those who master combining the internet with using their stores as mini distribution centers.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:26 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I live in DFW and even in a large metro area the selection in the stores lately is terrible -- it's like Russia in the 80's. I went to the mall looking for a bedspread. What a complete waste of time. Went to 7 stores found nothing. I am now an online shopping covert. Who has an entire day to waste hoping your local store "might" have something you are looking for?

After my futile trip to the mall, I wondered if the economy is not doing so hot and people are still not shopping OR are stores just not stocking like they used to due to online shopping?
Bedding and pillows are difficult to buy in stores nowadays as the selection is so limited and even table or floor light fixtures are an item you have to buy online unless there is something within the limited collection in store.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:50 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
If street retail dies out watch the obesity rate hit 40%.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
One of the owners at the company I work for always finds a quick second to remind us that President Obama is the major cause of recent retail failures.

Problem is, both of my parents are retired retail management, my dad was a DM. I have listened to them talk about this stuff since the 90's......there are many factors involved.

The fact that a 70yr old executive who's been in retail for 45 years blames President Obama for the decline of retail, and actually expects us to agree and shake our heads up and down as if none of us have any life experience or knowledge of our own....actually points to one of the problems.....

EGO.

For some reason, a lot of retail execs have this attitude that big box retail is something greater than it is.....it's not.

It's just PEOPLE (customers) coming in to a store to buy items from PEOPLE (employees) that's it.

If you treat your CUSTOMERS (people) like a bunch of idiot sheep.....and you treat your EMPLOYEES (people) like crap and constantly "wage war" against employee compensation......

YOU GET WHAT YOU GET.

No sympathy from me.....

Many of these companies bit off way more than they could chew and couldn't control the EGO's of the suits up top.

Well guess what?

Neither your employees or customers caused ANY OF THIS....it was ALL THE SUITS UP TOP.

The internet is a smaller percentage of the total reasons than most people think.

IF YOU SUCK AT DEALING WITH BOTH EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS....THAN YOU SUCK AT DEALING WITH PEOPLE.....

Maybe these suits should have concocted a business plan that wasn't so dependent on those pesky people and their unreasonable requests to be treated fairly and with respect.

NO SYMPATHY.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I thought the majority of American consumers still wanted the ability to see, touch and feel products as well as take items home immediately.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-up-retailers
Are Brick And Mortar Stores Becoming A Thing Of The Past?

I think we will always have some but certainly not like we used to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies