Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 PM

209 posts, read 220,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
on the bold. I hope more and more black Americans come to this conclusion.

And I tell these same people the blue - those Africans of islanders who for some reason want to laude my country and culture. If theirs was so great, they wouldn't be here and their country wouldn't be the hell hole that it is that makes them and others want to flee. Black Americans don't leave our country, en masse. We are much more committed to communal uplift and working to better a situation (similar to what is even occurring in the thread) - this is something that is a part of black American culture.
All Americans (of every background) should get a passport and TRAVEL. Traveling will allow many to see how blessed they really are.

West/South/East Africans, Jamaicans, Haitians, etc., can't play their games with me because I've traveled to many of their native home countries and have seen their cultures up close. I love learning about different people, eating different foods and learning new dialects, but at the end of the day, I'm Black American and I've never felt the need to take on an identity that simply is NOT my own.

Last edited by Water4Life; 04-13-2017 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Thanks for making my point. I also agree that you aren't West African, which is fine.
The point is, you are not in any position to criticize, because if your "culture" and background was truly superior and great, you would be in your native country, not in America. For example, a few Canadians may come to America, but most prefer to reside in their home nation (because their home nation provides a great quality of life).

The problem with far too many American people is, they don't truly understand how most of the people in under-developed nations live. If they really got to see the conditions, they would be kissing the ground of this nation and taking advantage of EVERY opportunity.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
There has been an argument going around for years that BM overseas are morally better off than BM from the states.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Africa is a big country, my family is from one of the places listed.
I'm sure the above was a typo... I know you're aware that Africa is a continent.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Stating an opinion isn't trying to control other people.

IMO, not dating someone because of what they do for a living eliminates a lot of good quality men who are loving, caring, loyal and kind out of the picture. I also find it quite shallow.
I'm a firm believer in letting people do what they believe is best for themselves. But interestingly, I haven't heard many guys state, --not dating someone because of how they look, eliminates a lot of good quality women who are loving, caring, loyal and kind.

Ask yourself why most men don't care about a woman's character, they place looks at the top of their agenda. However, in most instances, the very same men want women to forget about his income and overall class standing.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That poster is serious and has a history of these same sorts of posts where he denigrates black people as a whole in America and thinks all Caribbean islanders and African immigrants are "better" than black Americans in nearly every way. It is hilarious to me but it is common amongst the attitudes of black immigrants unfortunately. It is one of the reasons why I never call myself an African American either.
African and Caribbean men intermarry at much higher rates than Black American men. They love to immerse themselves into European cultures. The UK is a prime example. Blacks in Britain (who are recent immigrants) love to refer to themselves as English or British, even though their parents are from Nigeria, Ghana, Jamaica or some other nation. If their "cultures" are so great, why are they so quick to give it up?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Stating an opinion isn't trying to control other people.

IMO, not dating someone because of what they do for a living eliminates a lot of good quality men who are loving, caring, loyal and kind out of the picture. I also find it quite shallow.
Why do people NEVER tell Asian or white women that they should date blue collar men? Why is this ONLY said to black women? Black women are ALWAYS told to lower our standards. Why?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
African and Caribbean men intermarry at much higher rates than Black American men. They love to immerse themselves into European cultures. The UK is a prime example. Blacks in Britain (who are recent immigrants) love to refer to themselves as English or British, even though their parents are from Nigeria, Ghana, Jamaica or some other nation. If their "cultures" are so great, why are they so quick to give it up?
Here in the US they don't. They refer to themselves as Nigerian, Ghanaian, etc.

Could be because of the history of the two countries.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarock View Post
It's a big shift in the black community,

It's not the 70s anymore, cost of living isn't cheap, rent is through the roof and bills need to be paid + women (black) want to be attractive and do their thing + settling down to marry after they date.

my parents came here in the 70's, my dad didn't even work until he was 30, my mom took care of him for years. He ended up going to school, getting a good job and leaving her for another woman lol.

He ended up much well off while my mom struggled raising me.

Alot of us come from that background, single parent home or whatever, seeing mother by herself for 20 or more years.

Younger people are scared, very scared.

It's not like we're guaranteed a job these days, jose can do the same job the black man did in the 70's today while having a stronger community, most likely being married with a family which makes employers feel a little better about hiring men, they prefer married men who are stable over single wild dudes who will probably quit on a dime.

So alot of guys like the guy you mentioned lash out because deep down they hate the community and lash out about it daily, especially online to others.

Blacks are trying to mimic whites now, the 70s was about finding a black man and raising a black family while fighting for equality these days it's find a decent man who can provide regardless of race.

Times have changed and we're adjusting, some just don't wanna bother with the nonsense and date out/ marry out and get it over with.

Reality is we think as individuals rather that a group, core of all the problems.

But these folks don't understand real conservatism and what it was founded on.
Uh no...I think your an old timer from a different era or decade. A lot of blacks aren't trying to mimic white people. There's even been a slight resurgence in black "consciousness."

And maybe u feel that way because People today are free to marry and date whoever they want to. Interracial isn't seen as taboo. Also, it seems like you have an issue with single parenthood or out of wedlock births, and there's no problem with that but it's not a black problem. It's a poverty/socioeconomic problem. That has nothing to do with being more or less conservative.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Here in the US they don't. They refer to themselves as Nigerian, Ghanaian, etc.

Could be because of the history of the two countries.
No they don't, many children w/ parents from Africa, refer to themselves as Americans with Nigerian heritage... or as Nigerian American, Ghanaian American, Kenyan American, etc. By the second generation, a number of them are married to people outside of their race/culture and their mixed race children are likely to call themselves --American. For example, though Obama is mixed race (Kenyan and white American), his Kenyan family did not view him as one of them. They viewed him as an American and treated him as such.

I knew a woman whose parents were born in Ghana. I asked her if she had plans of ever returning to live in her family's native country and she informed me that she plans to stay and raise her children in the U.S. I can't blame her because clearly, there's a great deal of economic opportunities here.

I have no real issues with immigration. I do very well for myself. However, I do have a problem with some immigrants, particularly, those from African nations and the Caribbean touting their cultures and countries as superior and great, despite the high poverty, crime and lack of development in their native countries. I understand that people should be proud of their culture, but I would never immigrate to France, Canada or Aruba and then constantly speak about how great America is. --I would expect the native populations of those nations to give me the side eye and ask, --well if it's so great, why aren't you there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies