Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

I think the message was very clear - this was an attack for the future of chemical warfare. I'm more a liberal lefty, but I think this was needed. The planning and delivery and the repercussions can be put to question, but that occurs with most decisions made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 04:14 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Sarin gas is relatively easy to manufacture, it also has a short shelf life depending on its quality anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 years, it's not like the rebels have been carrying sarin gas for the last 4 years waiting for this moment.
The first bolded caught my interest - that Sarin gas is relatively easy to manufacture. A quick Google says otherwise. How easy is it to make sarin? Of course, if you have counter evidence that Sarin gas can be relatively easy manufactured, I'd appreciate a link (for verification purposes only - please don't post a recipe for Sarin).

The second bolded part - rebels?

Everything points to the Assad regime in Syria having used Sarin gas last week, not rebels. Perhaps a mistake on your part?

Quote:
I dont think Putin cares about optics, let's talk about how he handled the Chechen terrorists taking over a school, look that up. Putin needs a stable Syria access to their base a friendly government for their pipeline, all of those things can be had with I imagine dozens of Syrian military leaders, it's not like Assad it's irreplaceable.
Chechnya and Syria are worlds apart. Putin marched the Russian army into next-door Chechnya to kick butt. Syria isn't next door. There's no large scale Russian army units in Syria, just advisors, pilots, and technicians.

As for Putin deposing Assad - very risky. Syria's government could shatter, as competing factions turn into warlords fighting over cities and economic assets. Putin needs a stable government to keep his naval base secure and Russia doesn't have the global power projection to put a significant military force into Syria to maintain a semblance of order.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:00 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The Soviet era air defense systems didn't knock our cruise missiles down in desert storm, nor any other time we bombed Iraq. Nor now. Same defense systems are what protect north Korea.

This was a test.

COINCIDENCE north Korea's homeboy was with Trump when this went down?

I'd say if it were simply to destroy the puppet tinfoil hat conspiracy, Putin wouldn't be raging right now... He'd probably want talks on this, and make a back room deal. Not war mongering...

Me. If I were Trump, I'd kill 4 birds with one stone.

1. Cut a deal with Putin protecting his vested interests in Syria
2. Exchange Putin's second rate military to aid the hunting and killing of ISIS and other radicals.
3. Seal team six Assad.
4. Leave Russia to babysit Syria

^When you put the cheat code in for winning^
Um.... you've been listening to Maxine Waters....President Trump was meeting with the Chinese... not the North Koreans.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The first bolded caught my interest - that Sarin gas is relatively easy to manufacture. A quick Google says otherwise. How easy is it to make sarin? Of course, if you have counter evidence that Sarin gas can be relatively easy manufactured, I'd appreciate a link (for verification purposes only - please don't post a recipe for Sarin).

The second bolded part - rebels?

Everything points to the Assad regime in Syria having used Sarin gas last week, not rebels. Perhaps a mistake on your part?

Chechnya and Syria are worlds apart. Putin marched the Russian army into next-door Chechnya to kick butt. Syria isn't next door. There's no large scale Russian army units in Syria, just advisors, pilots, and technicians.

As for Putin deposing Assad - very risky. Syria's government could shatter, as competing factions turn into warlords fighting over cities and economic assets. Putin needs a stable government to keep his naval base secure and Russia doesn't have the global power projection to put a significant military force into Syria to maintain a semblance of order.
In 2013 turkey arrested Syrian al Qaeda members who were in possession of sarin. So maybe how easy to manufacture sarin is a moot point.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, it's not plausible.

The events, as reported, show two things:
  • Syria had chemical weapons even after Putin's government verified that those weapons and the Syrian capability to make more weapons had been removed/destroyed. Bashar al-Assad ordering the attack makes Putin's government out as either incompetent or mendacious.
  • Using Sarin gas in an attack on civilians by the Syrian government would be viewed (and was viewed) as incredibly vile by global opinion. Putin wouldn't want the bad optics, especially as he'd invested men, munitions, and effort by the Russian military to prop up Bashar al-Assad government over the past year.
What does that have to do with anything? Considering Assad still had chemical stockpiles, if your theory held true then Putin would indeed have no problem with a missile strike on this airfield, especially if he was made to look "mendacious or incompetent" by Assad still having chemical weapons.

While the strike was entirely justified, it also helped refocus everyones attention away from Russiagate.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I believe we will never know the truth.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:11 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Today's left is clearly deranged. Nutty enough to make Alex Jones look like a bastion of sanity.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:21 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, good ole Lawrence O'Donnell and Rachel Maddow trying desperately to prop their Russia narrative up so they don't look so foolish and as a result of this nonsense look even more desperate and foolish. And then there is op, oDanny, one of their faithful.
Exactly.

"Our first conspiracy theory hasn't drummed up any actual evidence of collusion and now our narrative that Trump is a Putin puppet is busted - we better double down on crazy rather than cut our losses short!"

The sad fact is, some of the liberals on this crazy train have made fun of tin-foil-hat-conspiracy-theorists in the past.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:44 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Exactly.

"Our first conspiracy theory hasn't drummed up any actual evidence of collusion and now our narrative that Trump is a Putin puppet is busted - we better double down on crazy rather than cut our losses short!"

The sad fact is, some of the liberals on this crazy train have made fun of tin-foil-hat-conspiracy-theorists in the past.
Let's give them a break. Its tough to keep talking about Russians in Trump's closet under the present circumstances -- really requires that they reach and stretch a bit.

And now that we got that out of the way, its time for Congress to focus on Susan Rice.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 04-09-2017 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 04:28 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
In 2013 turkey arrested Syrian al Qaeda members who were in possession of sarin. So maybe how easy to manufacture sarin is a moot point.
The only source I can find for Turkey finding Al Qaeda members in possession of Sarin is this Reuters article, which states that Sarin gas wasn't found.

The other sources are either RT.com or various conspiracy web sites, which all claim your story as true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies