Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:28 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times

Advertisements

Ahh... making America great again by destroying one institution that made it great at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 07:29 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
There is excessive reinforcement of themes at the current time. People have grown wary of the saturation of repetitive messages the US media and notice that information is being tailored to support one side of a war. I've heard people say that the current environment reminds them of the communist propaganda so much so that people in the US have parodied things like ISIS, and lately, the Russian hack.

The British press used to feature some diversity of views for the coverage of wars, surveillance, terrorism, etc. Some papers like the Guaridian were considered to be liberal on foreign affairs. After the Snowden disclosure of GCHG surveillance, David Cameron cracked down on the press and ran off most of the good writers on the Guaridan.

Cameron threatens newspapers

Anything on the television media is not worth watching. The coverage is so brief that you can't pick apart inconsistencies and mitigating facts like you can with detailed newspaper articles. To do that, you also have to read multiple articles on the same event and compare the facts. A lot of the propaganda is committed by shielding information from the reader.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:51 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
^
I honestly don't care any more who is "liberal on foreign affairs" and who is not.
But I am concerned that the infestation of radical Islam is growing and multiplying all over the place like a virus. And removing Assad is not going to solve the problem, but it's going to worsen it.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:52 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbostons7489 View Post
When i listen to Russian news they go by facts not emotions or feelings. Just wondering if somebody also thinks so.
https://youtu.be/6IQZQGNDux8

good one.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 16 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

The British press used to feature some diversity of views for the coverage of wars, surveillance, terrorism, etc. Some papers like the Guaridian were considered to be liberal on foreign affairs. After the Snowden disclosure of GCHG surveillance, David Cameron cracked down on the press and ran off most of the good writers on the Guaridan.

Cameron threatens newspapers
The NSA were furious with the Guardians disclosure of very secretive Snowden allergations, and the US put pressure on Cameron to take action.

The Government only have linited powers in terns of the press and Cameron had no say as to who writes for The Guardian.

What the British Government normally do in relation to National Security Breaches is issue what is known as a Defence and Security Media Advisory Notice (DSMA), which is more commonly known as a 'D' Notice, meaning the issue is of critical national security importance and the information should not be published.

DSMA Notice - Wiki

The D-notice system: a typically British fudge that has survived a century - Guardian

In terms of the Courts, I don't think the Government would really want to go down that route, as firstly it makes the Government look like it is denying the freedom of the press, secondly it makes the Government look like it's trying to cover something up and thirdly the Courts may decide in certain circumstances that the story is in the public interest.

The Leveson inquiry is a judicial public inquiry into the culture, practices and ethics of the British press following the News International phone hacking scandal, chaired by Lord Justice Leveson was far more damaging for the British Press and led to sweeping reforms including new regulators and press regulations.

Leveson report: At a glance - BBC News

Press regulation after Leveson: Key issues for the 2015 Parliament

Section 40: Will the press be forced to pay the costs in court cases - even if they win? | The Independent

Hacked Off | The campaign for a free and accountable press

IMPRESS - Press Regulator

Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-10-2017 at 04:27 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 04:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Russian media and Chinese media appear to be much less emotional and 'propagandized' compared to the typical Mainstream Media in the USA.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:11 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^
I honestly don't care any more who is "liberal on foreign affairs" and who is not.
But I am concerned that the infestation of radical Islam is growing and multiplying all over the place like a virus. And removing Assad is not going to solve the problem, but it's going to worsen it.
It takes a lot of work to find something on BBC, Independent, Telegraph, or other papers to find real information on foreign affairs. It was much easier to find something in real time in the Guardian and other foreign newspapers to find out what's really happening in the wars. I don't want to wait till after the war is over or an invasion has occurred to find out they lied about WMDs. Information is useless if it doesn't affect opinions at the time the decisions are made.

I don't see the proliferation of radical islam. The use of insurgencies as proxies by governments was a common strategy during the Cold War. The difference now is that most are now jihadists instead of Marxists.

I also see the boomerang effect to "liberal democratic" countries having to take in a large criminal element in the refugee population as a result of the policy by their governments and their allies in the Middle East to send criminals to fight in these wars.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Those aren't facts, they're propaganda. Russian news is 100% state owned and used to control the population. It's Fox News on steroids.
Or MSNBC on steroids. What makes you sure you're not being fed left wing propaganda?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Russian media is owned by the state. It's never impartial. The state controls the narrative.

So to answer the OP's question, NO.

That said, I try to read multiple sources, and I emphasize SOURCES, to get the best picture of an issue. It's important to look for different sources, because many sites regurgitate information from another site, rather than independently verify the information. So if Breitbart is reporting something that the Daily Caller reported, then the Daily Caller is the source, not Breitbart. If the New York Times is reporting something that the AP reported, AP is the source, not the New York Times. In either case, I want a second, independent source to provide context and verity.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Nope. Most Russian media is State-controlled propaganda. I really don't understand how people can view RT positively especially as that's well-known to be the Russian State propaganda news.
Yeah... this is like asking if we trust the Chinese media more than US media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies