Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 AM

57,265 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
In 2011, when the Syrian civil war was young, Obama declared, “The time has come for President Assad to step aside.” Since then, the loss of life and global impact, nothing compares with Obama’s failure in Syria. His refusal to lift a finger opened the door to perhaps the largest humanitarian crises since World War II. And the left want's to cluck about moral high ground?

The UN estimates that 500,000 are dead, more than 6 million are displaced within the country and nearly 5 million more are refugees scattered around the world.
Obama has his share of responsibility but any action would have been resisted by congress and the American people,the 10 years in Afghanistan and Iraq took away our tolerance for war. Syria is destabilizing Europe, Iran and Russia could care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not really. He is asking for America to institute safe zones. A position both Clinton and trump advocated. Problem is to do that would probably commit say 30000 American troops.
It would actually take, 100,000+ troops. That "30,000" figure refers to the full-up infantry division needed for sustained operations, but the infantry division would not and could not be deployed all on its own. It would also need a combat air support wing, a logistical air support wing, corresponding naval combat and logistical support, and a host of special support units.

Basically, any time you're talking about US military forces in long-term sustained combat operations, you are talking about a minimum of 100,000 military members deployed.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:13 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Obama has his share of responsibility but any action would have been resisted by congress and the American people,the 10 years in Afghanistan and Iraq took away our tolerance for war. Syria is destabilizing Europe, Iran and Russia could care less.
Well knowing that, then Obama had no right to draw a red line. You and he should know that you never threaten unless you plan on backing it up. Did Obama think he moved his lips and Syria would cower? Nor did Obama have the ability to bring nations together in an effort to stop it, that's because no one could work with or trusted Obama. Obama made the U.S. look weak and like fools.

Last edited by petch751; 04-10-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Would you say the same if the gentleman had a different opinion? Or do you only respect thoughts that coincide with your own?

I'm not trying to think for the guy. I don't make choices for anyone but myself, now that my daughter is an adult.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Evidently you are the only one that knows we have 150,000 troops in Syria, more like 1000. Safe zones are not an easy solution it will require 30,000 permanent troops not to mention housing, infrastructure.

Hmmmm, funny how Killeen/Ft. Hood and word is, the area around Ft. Brag is similar. Ghost towns.
The Grim Reapers headed out a month ago.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
As someone who used to work in TV news, I got the impression not that the CNN anchor was interrupting not in order to silence or censor the Syrian man, but because he'd made his point, they were out of time, he was repeating himself, and she needed to move on. It's not like she was talking over him or not letting him finish a sentence.

I don't think she was a very good interviewer, but I really didn't hear any "slimy agenda" there, either. She asked him what his reaction was to the bombings, he answered her, then she played the Clinton clip as a contrast to Trump's policies, and he complained that Syrians don't want to emigrate, they want to stay in their own country and be safe. When he kept repeating that he was grateful to Trump, that's when she attempted to wrap up the interview the way all news anchors do. But she didn't argue with him or cut him off.

There have been a few really intelligent educated responses to this thread, and some really out there ridiculous partisan banter. I'm watching CNN now: "We can't solve all of Syrians problems." Well only when it's convenient and we need a boost for our poll numbers. As one poster pointed out, "Aren't these the same people we want to keep out of our country"? I think if CNN had a real agenda they would have played a clip of Trump saying just that. I felt they were being objective. Yes it is an emotional interview that pulls on your heart strings, but if it were that simple an issue to resolve, it would have been resolved by now. Encouraging agent orange to go rogue with out the consent of congress is just plain dangerous. Any knee jerk reaction for the sake of poll numbers, if that was his motivation, is dangerous, and not in the best interest of the American people. I respect CNN, and yes there are times when Fox has been non partisan. Intelligent people weed out the bull. Those that choose not too have their own agenda. Thank you Bay for your professional point of view.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
This VIDEO is the living proof that CNN is a good station, but rather than admit that extremists have to lie and pretend CNN was somehow "caught out "...

OP could have posted the OFFICIAL LINK provided directly by CNN>....

OH my CNN posted it to youtube and have way over 3 MILLION views... hmmmm seems to me they are proud of the interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3uaf1NFxXc

SO lets recap. A news show, interviews a vic, gives him lots of airtime , asks him lots of questions and lets him talk talk talk.

THEN CNN make sure it is available for everyone by posting to Youtube themselves...

IF CNN was upset by this why not bury it? Why post it where it will get the biggest audience..?

Please Haters, explain why CNN are hosting on their site and on Youtube?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
As someone who used to work in TV news, I got the impression not that the CNN anchor was interrupting not in order to silence or censor the Syrian man, but because he'd made his point, they were out of time, he was repeating himself, and she needed to move on. It's not like she was talking over him or not letting him finish a sentence.

I don't think she was a very good interviewer, but I really didn't hear any "slimy agenda" there, either. She asked him what his reaction was to the bombings, he answered her, then she played the Clinton clip as a contrast to Trump's policies, and he complained that Syrians don't want to emigrate, they want to stay in their own country and be safe. When he kept repeating that he was grateful to Trump, that's when she attempted to wrap up the interview the way all news anchors do. But she didn't argue with him or cut him off.
Cutting off the guy , a Syrian in the midst of the ongoing War , would have been denounced almost immediately. There are some people CNN can cut the live feed to , and a Syrian thanking the West for finally doing something is definitely not one of them. Trump would have had a field day if they did.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Cutting off the guy , a Syrian in the midst of the ongoing War , would have been denounced almost immediately. There are some people CNN can cut the live feed to , and a Syrian thanking the West for finally doing something is definitely not one of them. Trump would have had a field day if they did.
and yet CNN are currently promoting the interview on YouTube and thier site... they seem to be pleased with it....

but i guess right wing folk will make a neg story out of anything to draw attention away from Trump's failed 100 days.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh you just gotta believe!

Are you dumb or just not trying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies