Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 09:50 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
United is pretty much screwed, really have to wonder if they can ever recover from this. Overbooking should be illegal in the first place, or used a charter plane, or a rental car as others have suggested. But even if it isn't United should have been smart enough to offer enough incentive so that they could have gotten volunteers. The few dollars they saved will be a pittance compared to the harm they did to their self image.

Really makes you wonder about the managers in companies like this. I guess it's just another example of Darwinism, survival of the fittest on the corporate level. We can quibble all day about whether these actions were legal, but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. Just a dumb move by United on every level.

In any event another great example of social media in action. Companies can't get away with crap like they used to. Stockholders and passengers will surely be voting with their wallets. I know I will.
Things like this always seem to blow over. Look at BP and Volkswagen, their sins (especially BP's) were much much worse than United's and a few short years later, all is forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.

Two parties consented to a contract. Party A (the passenger) violated the contract.

He clearly initiated force.

I know my stance isn't going to play well in here as I use the normal consistent and logical definitions of things.
You are, once again, mistaken.

The passenger did not violate their "contract." UA did. The attorneys will set this straight.

The passenger did not initiate force. UA did. Video and passengers testify to this.

Just announcing that you are normal and logical doesn't really fly. You actually have to demonstrate these qualities for it to be believable.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Amazing story, I guess I had no clue that happens. I guess I can see the airline's POV. They have to have bodies in those seats, unless they just make late comers pay and no refunds. Imagine that outcry.

I'm not taking the airliners side here. But I did hear many flights run on a very thing profit margin. If you factor in the high costs of pilots & crew (are they union?) plus thousands in fuel and other over head. I can imagine some flights don't make much money.

It only makes sense that airliners are going to look at many ways to make the maximum profit they can.

So they are forced to do things like that from a business POV.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Things like this always seem to blow over. Look at BP and Volkswagen, their sins (especially BP's) were much much worse than United's and a few short years later, all is forgotten.
VW I think should be instantly forgiven. They built a very good diesel engine that was efficient and very clean burning but would not meet the ridiculous, unrealistic demands of the EPA. Everywhere else in the world it's fine. To me, they did their customers a service by lying to those idiots.

But the law is the law, I get it. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a VW if they had a car I wanted. The new Atlas looks nice.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Where are you getting these 'facts?'

Links?

The passenger didn't agree to ANY terms saying he could be bumped and must deboard the plane.

The contract of carrier United tried to weasel behind only applies to those who have NOT boarded. And even at that United didn't follow the contract, since Dao was never given a written explanation on why he was chosen and any compensation offer. He was simply told to get off via a cowardly way by United via airport rent a cops.

United has ZERO basis for any of their actions from a contractual basis. Nada. Zilch.

Why do people have to make stuff up to suit their agendas when the facts are staring at then from the computer screen?
I was wrong. I went over links here and came to a different conclusion.

See, here at C-D we laugh, we cry, we learn.

One thread at a time.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm not taking the airliners side here. But I did hear many flights run on a very thing profit margin. If you factor in the high costs of pilots & crew (are they union?) plus thousands in fuel and other over head. I can imagine some flights don't make much money.

It only makes sense that airliners are going to look at many ways to make the maximum profit they can.

So they are forced to do things like that from a business POV.
????? This incident is about four paying passengers being kicked off to make room for four non-paying passengers.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Me either.

This made some kind of sense when all tickets were refundable, before computers and online reservations, but it makes no sense now.

And there is no excuse whatever to drag someone off who's already boarded and seated. This hardly constituted a dire emergency. ("Poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part.")

I heard that if the 4 crew members did not make it to the other destination a flight would have been canceled. Just staying in the middle here on taking sides but another flight is probably 100+ people versus forcing 4 off.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:56 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You are, once again, mistaken.

The passenger did not violate their "contract." UA did. The attorneys will set this straight.

The passenger did not initiate force. UA did. Video and passengers testify to this.

Just announcing that you are normal and logical doesn't really fly. You actually have to demonstrate these qualities for it to be believable.
I was wrong. I thought United had followed the contract and the passenger had not.

Commence with stoning me to death. I didn't have all the facts.

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Actually they are bearing the blame for the actions of the Chicago Dept of Aviation security officers.
UA called them to remove the man.

They stood watching while they assaulted the man.

Is there a video of a UA employee telling them to stop this immediately?

The actions of the Chicago Dept. of Aviation security officers were at the request, direction, and with the approval of the UA employees.

Scapegoating would be if the rent-a-cops showed up out of the clear blue and assaulted one of their passengers and they got blamed for it when they had no involvement whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
????? This incident is about four paying passengers being kicked off to make room for four non-paying passengers.

I was responding to that posters post about airliners having to do everything they can to make money. i.e. needing every seat filled if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies