Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 06:18 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It may have been mentioned, but I understand he said he had to see patients the next day at his destination. In that case, it's understandable that he couldn't just postpone the trip.
Well last I looked he was still in the hospital so he didn't see his patients did he?

Are they all keeling over in Louisville? If so, no ones reporting it.

Further, its been reported in this thread that he was only practicing one day a week and who knows if that was Monday? Also, been reported in this thread his wife who is also a doctor was one of the people asked to get off and she did. What about her patients?

Sorry, I don't buy the doctor excuse. If there were an epidemic of people dying in this country because doctors may get bumped from flights, they would already have an exception. All doctors have backups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
What country do you live in?

The whole purpose of our court system is to determine what the law is, means or how it should be interpreted. And sure the legality of anything can be changed by the court can be redefined, changed, expanded, or overturned entirely. What do you think the courts do all day long? And if your premise was correct, there would never be a law declared unconstitutional. What you've posted is nonsense lol.

We don't know why the Airport Officer was suspended. For all you know, it could be because they should have cuffed the passenger to avoid the resultant struggle whereby he became injured.

As for who will be sued, I'm sure the lawyers will throw everyone at the wall and see who sticks.
Your post makes it clear you have no idea how the courts or laws work.

At least theoretically they make no law. They simply enforce it. They do decide whether an action was legal or not. The do not determine whether it is legal. That is because it is the legality at the time that it occurred that is to be determined...not what happens later.

And no the courts do not change the legality of anything. That is the job of the legislature. They simply decide what law applies and what the legality is under that law.

There can be disputes. For instance more than one law may apply to a given situation and the court may need to determine what actually applies. And there may be questions about which law applies...Is it IL or Chicago or US? And which is the proper court...and it is not unusual for a case to move between the Federal and the State Courts.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
His background has EVERYTHING to do with the situation. If he is a prescription drug pusher who has been disciplined by authorities and had his hospital privileges suspended, and has cheated on his wife and purchased gay sex in violation of his marital vows, we see a pattern on instability and irrationality and dishonesty that could well explain his perverse reaction to proper authority.

So yeah, it is relevant, and in fact, central.

Now, I am not saying that all of this character stuff is true yet. It's going to come out over time and if it's all false or fake news then I will be happy to retract. But the reports I've read so far about this so-called doctor are downright scary.
How about the background of United Airlines? United Airlines has over a thousand skeletons in their closet.

Top 1826 complaints about United Airlines

Old 04-12-2017, 06:26 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Well last I looked he was still in the hospital so he didn't see his patients did he?

Further, its been reported in this thread that he was only practicing one day a week and who knows if that was Monday? Also, been reported in this thread his wife who is also a doctor was one of the people asked to get off and she did. What about her patients?

Sorry, I don't buy the doctor excuse. If there were an epidemic of people dying in this country because doctors may get bumped from flights, they would already have an exception. All doctors have backups.
Feeling a bit overly dramatic, are we?

I don't know why you're sticking up for the airline. None of us really know why he refused to get off the plane. It could be something as simple as "You offered this seat to me and I paid for it." Period.

That should be enough.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:28 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
With the possible exception of Cable TV, I can't think of any other major industry which inspires as much resentment as the airlines. To travel by air, especially when at the behest of an employer is, for most of us, a constant reminder of our own insignificance and powerlessness. Most of us accept this, or maybe learn to see the upside of the tradeoff, but for a number of economically and sociologically-rooted reasons, the screws are tightening, and likely will continue to do so. When push comes to shove, the skies aren't always so friendly.

For whatever reasons, this incident appears to be one where somebody -- possibly a subcontractor or someone not well-versed in the increasingly-complicated theater of "public relations" decided to play rough at the wrong moment, and struck a nerve where a lot of people of everyday means could feel the pain.

The flying schlockmeisters deserve everything that's coming to them; unfortunately, I doubt that any real change will be forthcoming.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The logistics of running an airline are not the passengers' responsibility. That is the responsibility of the highly paid CEO and management. If an airline overbooks, it should not be the paying passengers' problem to fix. The airline should pull out a bigger or a second aircraft in this event.
I didn't say that, just pointed out that they didn't care about any of the involved passengers except themselves.

Who knows if the airline had a bigger plane or even another plane to put in the air or whether or not a second aircraft could have been fit into existing flights by air traffic control.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Feeling a bit overly dramatic, are we?

I don't know why you're sticking up for the airline. None of us really know why he refused to get off the plane. It could be something as simple as "You offered this seat to me and I paid for it." Period.

That should be enough.
Well actually we do know, because his fellow passengers have been on tv and reported what he said, which was he couldn't leave because he was a doctor.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Your post makes it clear you have no idea how the courts or laws work.

At least theoretically they make no law. They simply enforce it. They do decide whether an action was legal or not. The do not determine whether it is legal. That is because it is the legality at the time that it occurred that is to be determined...not what happens later.

And no the courts do not change the legality of anything. That is the job of the legislature. They simply decide what law applies and what the legality is under that law.

There can be disputes. For instance more than one law may apply to a given situation and the court may need to determine what actually applies. And there may be questions about which law applies...Is it IL or Chicago or US? And which is the proper court...and it is not unusual for a case to move between the Federal and the State Courts.
Sorry but that is complete jibberish. Lets just agree to disagree.

Anyone who has taken a basic civics class knows that the purpose of the courts is to interpret laws. Once they do, unless its appealed, that becomes precedent and in effect a new, revised or expanded law.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
With the possible exception of Cable TV, I can't think of any other major industry which inspires as much resentment as the airlines. To travel by air, especially when at the behest of an employer is, for most of us, a constant reminder of our own insignificance and powerlessness. Most of us accept this, or maybe learn to see the upside of the tradeoff, but for a number of economically and sociologically-rooted reasons, the screws are tightening, and likely will continue to do so. When push comes to shove, the skies aren't always so friendly.

For whatever reasons, this incident appears to be one where somebody -- possibly a subcontractor or someone not well-versed in the increasingly-complicated theater of "public relations" decided to play rough at the wrong moment, and struck a nerve where a lot of people of everyday means could feel the pain.

The flying schlockmeisters deserve everything that's coming to them; unfortunately, I doubt that any real change will be forthcoming.
You may be right, but the fact that people are this outraged about a single incident (115 pages and counting), when there is so much going on in the world, makes me think that maybe critical mass has been achieved.

I'm not so sure people are going to just forget and let it go this time.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Well actually we do know, because his fellow passengers have been on tv and reported what he said, which was he couldn't leave because he was a doctor.
Well, as I recall that's what I posted, but your response was somewhat sarcastic and over the top, I thought...

Quote:
It may have been mentioned, but I understand he said he had to see patients the next day at his destination. In that case, it's understandable that he couldn't just postpone the trip.
and you replied:

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies