Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 07:41 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Dr. Dao himself probably will fly UA too.
Well, yeah-because he will own the company. I hope he hits them with the largest lawsuit in the history of the airline industry.

And I usually hate our litigious culture and suing over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 AM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Nobody is happy to be denied boarding because of overbooking but being dragged out from the seat you paid for just to accommodate late minute UA employees is extreme.

I expect the change to be that airlines solve the overbooking before boarding.

This could mark a cultural turning point in the post 9/11 idea that any measures taken under the pretext of airline security are justified.

For any frequent travelers, I think one of the issue is the lack of consistency of airport airline rules. For example, sometimes, they throw out your perfume, sometimes, they don't. Lack of consistency can cause your customers to distrust your business.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
I follow Brad Paisley on FB. He sends a simple message out yesterday. "We don't overbook concerts and they shouldn't overbook airplanes" LOL!

Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I follow Brad Paisley on FB. He sends a simple message out yesterday. "We don't overbook concerts and they shouldn't overbook airplanes" LOL!
Yes-Jimmy Kimmel mentioned that. "If they can sell thousands and thousands of seats for concerts/shows and games, and never sell the same one twice-how is it so hard for airlines to do so?"

It is just pure greed-absolutely no excuse for it, especially when they charge cancellation/rescheduling fees.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:05 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Oh I don't know. Ever pay hundreds of dollars for a second row seat and find out they added two rows in front of you? And, nothing you can do about it. It's in the fine print, seats may be arranged differently. Ticketmaster's practices should be illegal, yet shows are still often sold out. First world problems - air travel and attending concerts, what to do.

I once got thrown out of the pool at a hotel I was staying at because it seems they rented the pool area to some private party. Not happy but I did not act like a baby and make a scene, took it up with management later.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In most cases, I don't have much of a choice. My nearest airport is a United hub. The only other option I would have would be to fight NYC traffic to go to one of the other 2 area airports. Flying is inconvenient enough, without having to add more inconveniences to it.
Well, that's another thing. Many people are in your same boat - there are few, if any, other options.

That's what we get when we allow the airlines to all merge and the subsequent result is that there is NO competition and you are stuck flying an airline you may not like.

I never agree with this huge mergers and this is why.

I see more government regulation into the airline industry because they have quashed any competition.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I see more government regulation into the airline industry because they have quashed any competition.
How's that going to happen?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
How's that going to happen?
I don't know. Ask the Congressmen who are currently looking into it. As well as Chris Christie who is also stuck with UA being a 'hub" in his city and currently clamoring for an investigation.

Of course, we know that the airlines lobby Congress for favorable rulings by paying them off - like all other big business.

People are fed up with airlines in general and UA just took this to a tipping point.

And . .. you can't have NO competition and NO regulation. Airlines need to pick one or the other.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one will hospitalize him unless there is a medical indication to do so. His lawsuit does not need for anyone to do that.

No, the lawsuit doesn't need that, but it becomes more valuable the longer he is hospitalized.

I'm quite sure a doctor and/or his doctor wife can come up with plausible symptoms/complaints to convince another doctor to keep them hospitalized. If for no other reason, erring on the side of caution.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Quote:
I don't know. Ask the Congressmen who are currently looking into it.
I doubt their answer would have any reasonable expectation of success.

Quote:
Of course, we know that the airlines lobby Congress for favorable rulings by paying them off - like all other big business.
Bingo.

Quote:
People are fed up with airlines in general and UA just took this to a tipping point.
Which was said about Delta last December, and in 2012 and in 2008, and so on with other airlines always taking the inhumanity of air travel to "a tipping point". It's been said so often and been wrong so often that it isn't worth giving credence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies