Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 06:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Its a 5 or 6 hour drive, so yeah he could have negotiated a limo to drive him home if he wasn't up to it or paid himself and sued them later. Would have gotten him home in plenty of time to sleep and see his patients.
Yep. The crew could have been sent on a limo just as your post demonstrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Your post doesn't make sense as it pertains to the crazy doctor being rightfully removed from the plane.

No one would have volunteered because united lied? How would the volunteer know they lied? answer they wouldn't. And it wouldn't matter anyway. If someone was truly outraged they would have said "I'll get off crazy can stay".
Hey! Next time you fly an overbooked flight, volunteer your seat to someone else.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
They could avoid situations like this by outlawing the overbooking of flights. Airlines have gotten away with this foolishness long enough.
The airlines have every right to overbook. It is in their business plan, and the government can butt out.

However, arriving at a solution to an overbooking is the airline's problem, and the solution is NOT what happened here. United will pay dearly for their stupidity.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:38 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy
Its a 5 or 6 hour drive, so yeah he could have negotiated a limo to drive him home if he wasn't up to it or paid himself and sued them later. Would have gotten him home in plenty of time to sleep and see his patients.
Dao just flew in from Los Angeles to Chicago, at the end of long day the last thing any traveler wants is a 6 hour overnight road trip. Uber would cost $1,000-$1,500, but that's beside the point. If a 6 hour road trip would be exhausting and unacceptable for the crew then it would be exhausting and unacceptable for the passenger

Old 04-13-2017, 06:47 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yep. The crew could have been sent on a limo just as your post demonstrates.
This has been addressed ad nauseum. The crew is required to have a set number of hours before they can fly again. I have heard that's 10 hrs, but not sure. Seems to me that would have been cutting it pretty close. Especially, when you add in meal time and however long it takes to navigate in/out of both airports.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:49 PM

483 posts, read 691,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Technically, they're Chicago Aviation Police, a separate department from the Chicago Police. Regardless, they're police.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-united-flight

Quote:
CITY HALL — Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans apologized Thursday for allowing a Louisville doctor to be dragged off a United Airlines flight Sunday and seriously injured.

[snip less pertinent content still available @ link above]:

In response to heated and repeated questioning by 14th Ward Ald. Ed Burke, Evans acknowledged that Aviation security officers had been ordered to no longer wear uniforms emblazoned with the word "police."

Evans said the Aviation security officers were told in January to identify themselves as "security."

The investigation will probe why the officers captured on video were wearing black-and-white jackets with the word "police" on them, Evans said.
There you have it. "Security officers", not "police".

In fact specifically instructed to stop referring to themselves as "Police" and wearing gear labeled "Police".

Someone clearly ignored this directive because they, IMO, wanted the security guards to have the jumped-up power of fake intimidation provided by claiming they are "police" when they are in fact not.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:56 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Dao just flew in from Los Angeles to Chicago, at the end of long day the last thing any traveler wants is a 6 hour overnight road trip. Uber would cost $1,000-$1,500, but that's beside the point. If a 6 hour road trip would be exhausting and unacceptable for the crew then it would be exhausting and unacceptable for the passenger
Its not a matter of whether it would be exhausting. For the crew, my understanding is its a federal regulation that they have a rest period before flying again. I believe that info was posted either in this thread or the one going in the Aviation forum.

I don't believe there is any federal regulation like that for doctors.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-united-flight

There you have it. "Security officers", not "police".

In fact specifically instructed to stop referring to themselves as "Police" and wearing gear labeled "Police".

Someone clearly ignored this directive because they, IMO, wanted the security guards to have the jumped-up power of fake intimidation provided by claiming they are "police" when they are in fact not.
You are misunderstanding the issue. The real question is whether or not they are peace officers or whatever description IL uses for real police men.

The issue here appears to be that they are not "Chicago Police". Which is likely a political issue dealing with things like pay and retirement etc.

So it may or may not be Security Guards masquerading as Police...it may well be Police forced to act like they are not.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Its not a matter of whether it would be exhausting. For the crew, my understanding is its a federal regulation that they have a rest period before flying again. I believe that info was posted either in this thread or the one going in the Aviation forum.

I don't believe there is any federal regulation like that for doctors.
It is complicated Blondy. I would not bet either way. A cost regulatory trade off that may have union rules as well. Clearly if they had offered a sufficient price they could have gotten the volunteers. Get up to $5,000 and it would tempt me who would never volunteer for an overnight bump. And no they are not restricted to $1350. That is simply the most they must offer for 400% of the fare. They can offer anything they want above that.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM

483 posts, read 691,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are misunderstanding the issue. The real question is whether or not they are peace officers or whatever description IL uses for real police men.

The issue here appears to be that they are not "Chicago Police". Which is likely a political issue dealing with things like pay and retirement etc.

So it may or may not be Security Guards masquerading as Police...it may well be Police forced to act like they are not.
Fine, then I'll bow out of the discussion, as I thought the issue was whether or not they have the full force of law behind them and the authority to "act as police would, with the resources of police, and to be obeyed as one is expected to respond to being given a police directive". Carry on then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies