Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 02:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This absolutely happens, what they do is book you at the nearest hotel with availability. I've seen it happen with my own eyes - it's called "walking" a guest.
I'm sure the doctor would have been happy on another flight if it got him to his destination around the same time. No one wanted to take the Airline's offer to give up their seat because the next available flight was 22 hours later. You wouldn't want the overbooked hotel to tell you they changed the date of your reservation because they were overbooked, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
No business or govt. entity can ever know when it is going to happen, but every now and then someone decides "no more" and takes a stand. Sometimes they pay dearly for taking that stand, but then real change happens as a result. If this didn't happen to Dr. Dao, and he had gone quietly and then complained the next day, does anyone here think for even a millisecond that United or any of the regulatory agencies would have taken his complaint seriously? We all know they wouldn't have, nor would there even of been a review as to whether United was acting outside of its own published policies. Look at the CEO message to employees telling them they did everything right. Their default is anything they do is right, the customer be damned.
Nailed it.

If he had protested the next day, he would have gotten a form letter about being a valued customer.

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If you are on a penny pinching budget, perhaps the airlines can sell people like you tickets for less with the condition that you will be the first one bumped.
Actually not a bad idea. You can bet that the other airlines will react to this as will passengers that get bumped in the future upping their demands, safe to assume that no airline wants to go through this photo op again.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:28 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
No business or govt. entity can ever know when it is going to happen, but every now and then someone decides "no more" and takes a stand. Sometimes they pay dearly for taking that stand, but then real change happens as a result. If this didn't happen to Dr. Dao, and he had gone quietly and then complained the next day, does anyone here think for even a millisecond that United or any of the regulatory agencies would have taken his complaint seriously? We all know they wouldn't have, nor would there even of been a review as to whether United was acting outside of its own published policies. Look at the CEO message to employees telling them they did everything right. Their default is anything they do is right, the customer be damned.
Exactly what changes do you think will happen, less over booking, higher prices for bumping, what did he accomplish.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:29 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
If I made up a story such as "my neighbor was aiming a gun at me," and I call the police on him, you can bet I would be liable for whatever followed by the police for that.
Wrong. You would be liable for what you did, not what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash
<more personal hatred>
Sorry, I no longer have the patience to entertain your baseless personal attacks. As long as you keep posting baseless personal attacks against me what choice do I have but to keep making clear that you clearly have some petty personal hatred for me that you cannot get beyond.

Quote:
If you are on a penny pinching budget, perhaps the airlines can sell people like you tickets for less with the condition that you will be the first one bumped.
In essence, they already do. In this order: N, G, K, L, T, S, W, V, Q, H, U, O and E, M, B ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You can bet that the other airlines will react to this as will passengers that get bumped in the future upping their demands, safe to assume that no airline wants to go through this photo op again.
Either that or they'll take more extreme measures, such as deplaning the entire aircraft to avoid this scene. Hard to tell if or how they'll respond right now.

Quote:
Exactly what changes do you think will happen, less over booking, higher prices for bumping, what did he accomplish.
Precisely on point! Nothing he did will bring any of that about.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:29 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
If I made up a story such as "my neighbor was aiming a gun at me," and I call the police on him, you can bet I would be liable for whatever followed by the police for that.
Who said anything about making things up?

You would get arrested for making a false report.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:35 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Sorry, I no longer have the patience to entertain your baseless personal attacks. As long as you keep posting baseless personal attacks against me what choice do I have but to keep making clear that you clearly have some petty personal hatred for me that you cannot get beyond.

In essence, they already do. In this order: N, G, K, L, T, S, W, V, Q, H, U, O and E, M, B ...

Either that or they'll take more extreme measures, such as deplaning the entire aircraft to avoid this scene. Hard to tell if or how they'll respond right now.

Ah yes, the expected response. "Brave" enough to shoot your mouth off to others from the sidelines, but not enough guts to step up and engage in an actual dialogue.

Oh well, carry on with the hiding and carping from your safe place.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:36 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Since I specifically said I didnt see him as a hero, you must have some reading comprehension issues. You DID read that part, right? Did the meaning of those words go over your head?

So your answer is that a 69 yr old man screaming while being forcibly removed added to his humiliation? Do you think anyone really gives a sheet that you think this? As to your insistence that he just thought they wouldnt dare, unless you are a mind reader you are just spouting off from ignorance.

As far as the word sheeple, I do like it. It very accurately describes the lemmings who argue for mindless and cowardly compliance to authority, even when they dont like the abuse and/or treatment. And I am learning that the sheeple get infuriated when others dont mindlessly follow " the rules " also, even to the point of hating and demonizing anyone who dares not to be a sheeple like themselves.
Passive aggressive huh? I can see what BUU means. I can almost see the spittle at the sides of your mouth. You make me laugh.......... so long........

Old 04-14-2017, 02:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

You don't know that. You absolutely CANNOT say with certainty that some liability wouldn't be found on the person who initiated the incorrect phone call. There is joint and several liability, you know.

What you DON"T know is what a jury will do or how a judge will rule prior to any trial.

Goodness you certainly are smug about this whole situation.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:41 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:

Really? UA has already publicly stated they will never do this gain. No other airline will dare do something like this again. The Chicago airport security has said they will not forcibly remove passengers again. It is doubtful that any other PD at any other airport will get involved in doing anything like this again.

This guy ended the practice of forced bumping of boarded passengers if the passengers will simply refuse to leave. That is what he has accomplished.

Other than securing a very comfortable retirement .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies