Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,517,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The point is this isn't some consumer debate where you are trying to return an item to a store. The airline has the legal right to request a passenger be removed, the gate agents represent the airlines and the existing rules, there is no need to get a supervisor to enforce an existing rule. Additionally I'm sure it wouldn't take an hour to get someone, not to mention the fact that the pilot would likely chime in and ask the officer to comply with the wishes of the airline and remove the passenger.

It was an unfortunate and ugly situation and I hate the way airlines treat people, but they were within their rights. The officers and the passenger were responsible for the ridiculous behavior that ensued.
Of course the airline could ask the police to remove him, but they can't demand a timetable.

I'm just saying as a cop, I would make the airlines request to remove him (from their own doing) as difficult as possible. That is assuming he was not causing problems other than wanting to stay in his seat.

If you'd have handled it differently, ok, we would have done it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,944,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Well that is legal point that they will probably lose in a law suit. They contracted with a customer. The customer did not cause an incident on their own volition. United airlines failed to honor their part of the agreement. Yes they may have language in the fine print but that will take the court to hash out whether that language is enforacle and legitimate.

At the end of the day United would of saved a lot more money by dealing with in multiple different ways.

1. Puddle jump the United crew
2. Upped the offers to passengers to give up their seats voluntarily.
Every legal and airline industry expert I've seen on the news so far has been clear that this was in Uniteds legal right to have the person removed and that they are required to offer some form of compensation. The ticket isn't a 100% unconditional guarantee that you will get from point A to point B as originally planned.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,555,949 times
Quote:
Every legal and airline industry expert I've seen on the news so far has been clear that this was in Uniteds legal right to have the person removed and that they are required to offer some form of compensation. The ticket isn't a 100% unconditional guarantee that you will get from point A to point B as originally planned.
Don't you think there is something wrong with that?

Old 04-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Of course the airline could ask the police to remove him, but they can't demand a timetable.

I'm just saying as a cop, I would make the airlines request to remove him (from their own doing) as difficult as possible. That is assuming he was not causing problems other than wanting to stay in his seat.

If you'd have handled it differently, ok, we would have done it differently.
That is not what a cop is supposed to do, dragging your feet to not enforce an existing rule or law just because you didn't like it is clearly neglecting the responsibilities expected of a law enforcement official...catchy name isn't it? Instead of being a cop at that point, become a legislator or lawyer and work on changing the laws.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't like it, but it should remain a civil matter handled in civil court just as any other disputed contract.

The plane is United property, and they should have the right to keep him off of it if they choose.

I don't want our police enforcing contracts.

What happened was crappy, and it's something they are going to regret.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
To a certain extent, yes. But my main point in my original post is that I find it ridiculous that people think they can just ignore what a cop is asking them to do. Additionally, I say "to a certain extent" because as many people have already said, the plane is the property of United and they have the legal right to do this. While I don't agree with every law out there, I respect the fact that they are there, and as a whole if people and/or law enforcement decide to arbitrarily ignore the ones they don't like, it weakens the rest of them as there becomes a perception that they are optional and up for negotiation.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
That is not what a cop is supposed to do, dragging your feet to not enforce an existing rule or law just because you didn't like it is clearly neglecting the responsibilities expected of a law enforcementofficial...catchy name isn't it? Instead of being a cop at that point, become a legislator or lawyer and work on changing the laws.
I guess you'd be a better cop than me.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,473,287 times
Quote:
Right. And it will cost them more than 800 dollars and a free hotel stay. They will quickly settle for 10 k. Bad business.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I guess you'd be a better cop than me.
I'm sure there are very good reasons that neither one of us are cops.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,640,359 times
I think United's problems with overbooking will now become underbooking. They deserve every last bit of scorn that comes their way, be it boycotts, negative social media campaigns, whatever...they're probably going to feel this pain in their coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies