Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not that I think United was morally right to do what they did, but....

The plane was private property. Standard practice is that they probably have to reimburse the person if taken to court or possibly end up having to cough up money for damages, since they took money in exchange for a promise of specific services and they can not or will preform it, but they can demand someone leave that private property. If the person doesn't leave it is trespassing and therefore breaking the law.

Like everyone else, I think they should have upped the offer, at some point someone would have taken them up on it. Even if they ended up having to pay double or triple the amount they offered it would have better significantly cheaper than what this is going to cost them in attempted damage control.
Here is the thing: we cannot sue the airlines for any reason! Write your congress persons!

Quote:
The bad news: There is no private right of action for violation of the DOT’s consumer protection regulations. So passengers cannot sue the airline themselves and instead must rely on the DOT to enforce the rules.
Quote:
Insulation from state consumer protection laws, inefficient enforcement of federal law, and Congress’s refusal to pass a Passenger Rights Bill has allowed air carriers to cut services year after year without repercussions.
The Obligations of Airlines and the Rights of Passengers | Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
More good news.

According to AP reports, video of the blood-soaked passenger is being circulated on China's microblogging service Weibo, and has sparked outrage "in China after a witness reported that the elderly man who was dragged off the aircraft may have been targeted because he was Chinese. ... The perceived prejudice against the man—and United’s lackluster response—drew condemnation and calls for a boycott of the airline."

United Video Sparks Outrage in China - The Daily Beast
Hahaha Can you imagine if the Chinese reacted to this as the US does?
if he'd been an American assualted overseas by an airline there would be a drone strike on the headquarters of the Chinese airline.
America is truely a violent society.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
So not only do we have Trump tweeting away about how China better take care of things with NK if they want a favorable trade deal, otherwise he will take care of things, now we have a video of a man who looks Chinese being bloodied and hauled off a plane flying about the internet.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So not only do we have Trump tweeting away about how China better take care of things with NK if they want a favorable trade deal, otherwise he will take care of things, now we have a video of a man who looks Chinese being bloodied and hauled off a plane flying about the internet.
Oh thank god we have someone trying to drag Trump into this now, totally makes sense.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
OMG what's wrong with some people here.

NO one was offered money at the gate before preboarding.

Every passenger was already on the plane, boarded. That's when they tried to entice passengers with the 800 dollar voucher.

I'm sure if some of the armchair generals on here were inconvenienced after boarding and getting ready to fly, they'd be just as upset.

Stop twisting the facts people.

Now Chinese netizens are getting in on the news, good!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/11/asia/u...ion/index.html

The CEO should be ashamed of himself.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I mostly agree. I won't defend the airline, it was their screw-up. But the 69 year old doctor refused to cooperate peacefully and civilly and it led to the ugly scene we all saw. It also could have gotten others hurt while he bunkered down in his seat and started screaming. He was not being dragged into a cattle car headed for Auschwitz and near-certain death, he was being bumped from a relatively short domestic flight (poor baby).
Perhaps his patients depended on him the following morning and some of them are very ill. Again, that was the last flight out that day to his destination.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I would love to be on the jury that decides the settlement. The headlines would read, "Doctor now owns airline".
Cannot sue the airlines. Write your congress person!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:43 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Here is the thing: we cannot sue the airlines for any reason! Write your congress persons!

The Obligations of Airlines and the Rights of Passengers | Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division
I don't think you can sue for them removing the man off the plane, but the man CAN sue for hurting him. It was completely uncalled for! He was bleeding for heaven sake! Not to mention the humiliation of how they handles it!

I agree with others, they should have kept raising the reimbursement amount until someone agreed to get off the plane.

Personally, I don't fly United anyway and definitely won't in light of this and their "no leggings" policy. There are many other airlines to travel on so it doesn't bother me at all to Boycott them!

My husband travels for work quite extensively and leaves out of O'Hare as well. He said they are the WORST airline to travel on. He avoids them at all cost.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:44 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
OMG what's wrong with some people here.

NO one was offered money at the gate before preboarding.

Every passenger was already on the plane, boarded. That's when they did to entice passengers with the 800 dollar voucher.

I'm sure if some of the armchair generals on here were inconvenienced after boarding and getting ready to fly, they'd be just as upset.

Stop twisting the facts people.

Now Chinese netizens are getting in on the news, good!

Man filmed being dragged off United flight causes outrage in China - CNN.com

The CEO should be ashamed of himself.
Oh I'd be super upset. There would be lots of emails, letters, and phone calls. But you know what there wouldn't be? Kicking, screaming, and engaging police officers physically. Unacceptable.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Passengers

Here's a little more of the way it went down by another passenger. Since they started looking for volunteers at the gate with an offer of $400 - they should have never let the passengers board until 4 volunteers were found or they did random picks before they boarded.

It may be an airlines right to bump - but there's also a right way and a wrong way to do it.
United should have increased their offer until they had four volunteers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies