Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Stopping the BS right now. Having lived in both Chicago and Louisville, and traveled between both frequently by car, it's a 5-6 hour drive from Chicago to Louisville, assuming one would have to stop to refuel, etc. And then add in the additional hour for the time zone change from Central to Eastern.
Then United should have put their staff on a flight (whichever airline) to the closet airport to Louisville. From there, the staff could have been chauffeured to Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The service should be refused at the time the passenger attempts to purchase a ticket, not after he paid for a ticket and boarded the aircraft. People fly because they usually have important plans and a schedule to meet.
Delays are pretty much the rule now. No one flying these days should expect to adhere to a schedule. Flying is a privilege and the customer is not in charge. We need to be realistic. Those seats keep getting filled regardless of how poorly they treat us.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:52 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Perhaps his patients depended on him the following morning and some of them are very ill. Again, that was the last flight out that day to his destination.
Then he was cutting it close, he should have been back earlier. He knew he could be bumped. Furthermore, doctors have to reschedule patients all the time, they get called to emergencies or get sick themselves. He was not more important or special than any other passenger.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:55 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then he was cutting it close, he should have been back earlier. He knew he could be bumped. Furthermore, doctors have to reschedule patients all the time, they get called to emergencies or get sick themselves. He was not more important or special than any other passenger.
He knew he could be bumped? I don't think so. He probably expected to be on the flight that he had bought a ticket for, had been given a boarding pass for and had been seated on.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Delays are pretty much the rule now. No one flying these days should expect to adhere to a schedule. Flying is a privilege and the customer is not in charge. We need to be realistic. Those seats keep getting filled regardless of how poorly they treat us.
No, United is privileged that customers CHOOSE to fly with a certain airline. If they keep treating their customers like dirt then they will all be out of a job soon! I hope everyone boycotts United!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:59 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I don't think you can sue for them removing the man off the plane, but the man CAN sue for hurting him. It was completely uncalled for! He was bleeding for heaven sake! Not to mention the humiliation of how they handles it!

I agree with others, they should have kept raising the reimbursement amount until someone agreed to get off the plane.

Personally, I don't fly United anyway and definitely won't in light of this and their "no leggings" policy. There are many other airlines to travel on so it doesn't bother me at all to Boycott them!

My husband travels for work quite extensively and leaves out of O'Hare as well. He said they are the WORST airline to travel on. He avoids them at all cost.

I would think many businesses will not book their traveling employees on United after this incident. Business travelers are on a tight schedule and often have important meetings, etc... To think that they could randomly be taken off a flight is not very reassuring.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Being treated like **** is not a privilege. Having customers is.

I can't BELIEVE people are defending the airlines, and acting like this behavior, although apparently now "normal," is anything remotely like acceptable.

This has to be the only industry that not only treats its CUSTOMERS so poorly on such a regular basis, but is so vociferously defended when they continue to do so.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 04-11-2017 at 08:15 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Then United should have put their staff on a flight (whichever airline) to the closet airport to Louisville. From there, the staff could have been chauffeured to Louisville.
Absolutely agree.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Silly question: Isnt what the doc did technically a felony?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I've always known that airlines reserve the right in their purchase agreement to bump a passenger.

However.....while they were legally able to pull four people off, were they authorized to use physical force. I don't think so.

Second, they poorly managed their resources (didn't have the appropriate staff in the appropriate locations) and were punishing customers for their poor planning.

Third, they obviously didn't offer enough and should have continued to offer incentives if it was THAT important to them that they felt the need to physically remove a passenger in such an aggressive way.

Fourth, I think their statements after the video and incident do NOTHING to help their cause.

There will be some impact but I suspect United will come back with lower prices to try and lure passengers back on to their planes. Truth is -- money talks -- many people who travel have to choose the lowest airfare and Untied will end up paying for this incident with discounted ticket prices for some time I think. (or in the real world that's how it should work -- lol).

Last edited by moneill; 04-11-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies