Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 02:15 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Third....to all those people on the plane screaming how inappropriately he was being treated..why didn't one of them volunteer to lose his/her seat so that this physician could remain on the flight?
Completely agree, especially that loudmouth woman screaming. If everyone was so outraged, why didn't someone give up their seat for $800 + a first/business class seat on the next flight? I surely would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 02:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
United CEO apologizing. The passenger is 69 years old.

"Police claimed the officers were attempting to carry the man off the flight "when he fell."

"His head subsequently struck an armrest causing injuries to his face," police said, adding that the man was taken to a hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries. An investigation into the incident was still ongoing."

United Airlines CEO Apologizes After Video Shows Man Dragged Off Flight - NBC News

Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Completely agree, especially that loudmouth woman screaming. If everyone was so outraged, why didn't someone give up their seat for $800 + a first/business class seat on the next flight? I surely would have.
if you are outraged with the airline handling the situation, why would you let them off the hook?

Obviously, people on the flight had compelling reasons to not give up their seats for whatever the United was offering.

BTW, last time I was on an overbooked flight, Delta was offering gift cards to department stores, not actual cash. I was tired after a red eye flight, and just needed to be home. $800 to Macy's sounded a bit insulting to me.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

"Police claimed the officers were attempting to carry the man off the flight "when he fell."

"His head subsequently struck an armrest causing injuries to his face," police said, adding that the man was taken to a hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries. An investigation into the incident was still ongoing."

United Airlines CEO Apologizes After Video Shows Man Dragged Off Flight - NBC News
Geez, and he was actually dragged off TWICE.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm on the fence about overbooking.

There are many passengers who cancel at the last minute or simply don't show up for the flight. Every empty seat costs the airline money. I'm sure the customer would be stuck paying for the increase if overbooking were eliminated.
Empty seats only cost the airline money if overbooking is possible. If the paradigm is "one person, one seat" and there is a no-show, the airline loses nothing since there will be no refund.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:28 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I think they could come up with a better policy. Like before you've boarded the plane. It's a bit of an extreme stance on it though. lol

Old 04-10-2017, 02:29 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

But does it matter that he is 69? He is a 69 year old who wouldn't follow orders. Most people prefer to not follow orders and to do what they want, but when you get on a plane, it's their kingdom, their rules.

And he played the race/ethnicity card, saying it happened because he is Chinese. Maybe I'm naive, but I honestly think that a computer randomly selected four people. Even if all four were some sort of minority, it still could have randomly happened.

As for his being a doctor, so what? Probably most of the others on the plane had to be at a job the next day. Some could have been fired if they didn't show up, while others who barely live paycheck to paycheck would have suffered more financially than the doctor. No one is that indispensable. If the doctor really had to be at the hospital the next day, there would be others who could cover for him. If he's in private practice on his own, his patients could be rescheduled.

That said, it is ridiculous that the airline allowed everyone to board knowing that four people would be bumped off. Once people were seated, they would then feel that this was THEIR seat---would have been better psychologically to bump people off before boarding.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
But does it matter that he is 69? He is a 69 year old who wouldn't follow orders. Most people prefer to not follow orders and to do what they want, but when you get on a plane, it's their kingdom, their rules.

And he played the race/ethnicity card, saying it happened because he is Chinese. Maybe I'm naive, but I honestly think that a computer randomly selected four people. Even if all four were some sort of minority, it still could have randomly happened.

As for his being a doctor, so what? Probably most of the others on the plane had to be at a job the next day. Some could have been fired if they didn't show up, while others who barely live paycheck to paycheck would have suffered more financially than the doctor. No one is that indispensable. If the doctor really had to be at the hospital the next day, there would be others who could cover for him. If he's in private practice on his own, his patients could be rescheduled.

That said, it is ridiculous that the airline allowed everyone to board knowing that four people would be bumped off. Once people were seated, they would then feel that this was THEIR seat---would have been better psychologically to bump people off before boarding.
I wonder about that "algorithm" they claim they used to select which passengers were removed. If you are a corporate employee with a corporate purchased ticket, would that go in the algorithm? Because I cannot imagine how a large company would respond to their employee not showing up to customer meetings the next day. Would they remove the airline from the corporate portal? Or push the airline to the last possible choice, thus costing the airlines millions in business travel? If companies cannot rely on the airline to get their employees to customer sites, the airline is of no value to them.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Crazy. He had a ticket. The airline wouldn't want me on that jury.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
An adult that screams like a child is embarrassing. It's just a plane ride for Gods sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies