Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We were there in June of 1984 and I know that specifically because my oldest was 7 and my middle was born in October of 1984. The main reason I remember it though is because my Brother and Mother went with us. My Mother, my son and I rode in the back seat and on the way to Chicago we had plenty of room.
By the time we got through the museum and left we had expanded a bit in the behind and our room on the vehicle seat had diminished.
Lol. I need to go back to Chicago. The zoo was cool too, though I'm sure it's better now than in the '70s when they were still just putting animals in cages or glasses enclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I remember an exhibit that was in Atlanta many years ago that was similar. I didn't go to see it due to learning that the bodies were those of prisoners from China and permission was not acquired from the families to use those bodies.

That said, if there was an exhibit where I could be assured that people donated their bodies to science, I would go as I find it educational and interesting - human anatomy.

We took a field trip to a medical college when I was in high school as a part of our biology class and saw the cadavers and got to look at how a lung looks of a smoker/non-smoker and the heart of people with high blood pressure and the size of male versus female organs, etc. It was all fascinating stuff.

I honesty would like to donate my body to science when I die as I think it is a good way to help humanity.

I wouldn't mind if my body was skinned and posed in a cool position either.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:43 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And what would be "close to Dahmer-esque" I wonder?
The instructions "How to construct a human being with the help of spare parts" explicitly attached to the dead bodies?
I was referring to this statement in the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
What do you guys think about how human bodies can be mutilated like this, and presented as education purposes for the public. Why is this OK for society, but nobody in the right mind is OK for what psychopaths Jeffery Dahmer and Ed Gein did with human corpses.
And stating that what Dahmer did and what this exhibit* does aren't even in the same universe.

*Referring to the exhibit where the bodies do, in fact, come from volunteer donors who have given their informed consent for their bodies to be used like this.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:50 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
My local science museum has been showcasing an event since October of last year, till April 23rd of this year where they have taken several actual human bodies, skinned them, some cut in half or sliced up to show all of the organs, all for the public to see. They claim that the bodies were approved by their families to use for the exhibit, and I sure hope that is true. I myself several years ago had to sign my dad who passed away over for science research, and this exhibit has me quite a bit upset that one of those bodies might be my dad, and I sure as hell am not comfortable with science taking actual human bodies, carving them up like some pieces of meat, and displaying them like some Christmas decoration.

What do you guys think about how human bodies can be mutilated like this, and presented as education purposes for the public. Why is this OK for society, but nobody in the right mind is OK for what psychopaths Jeffery Dahmer and Ed Gein did with human corpses.

It's one thing when bodies are being donated to universities for medical students to research and practice on. It's something else entirely when a science museum is using human corpses to make a profit. This whole thing doesn't sit well with me, and it's after a while of overthinking, I find it outright horrifying that people are allowing skinned corpses to be available for all to see. We're revolted at seeing such a sight on movies and TV shows, but in real life???

I see no problem with it. If you do, don't go see it.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:52 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Lol. I need to go back to Chicago. The zoo was cool too, though I'm sure it's better now than in the '70s when they were still just putting animals in cages or glasses enclosures.
There are 2 major zoos in the Chicago area: Lincoln Park Zoo, which is free admission, and the much more extensive Brookfield Zoo in the near suburb, but admission is pricey.

Lincoln Park Zoo

https://www.czs.org/Brookfield-ZOO/Home

Old 04-11-2017, 09:55 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
I think it's pretty interesting and I've been to similar exhibits and been fascinated. I think it's great that they've done this. I invite anyone who doesn't like it to not go and leave everyone else alone.

They can do whatever they want with my meat robot when I'm done with it.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
My local science museum has been showcasing an event since October of last year, till April 23rd of this year where they have taken several actual human bodies, skinned them, some cut in half or sliced up to show all of the organs, all for the public to see. They claim that the bodies were approved by their families to use for the exhibit, and I sure hope that is true. I myself several years ago had to sign my dad who passed away over for science research, and this exhibit has me quite a bit upset that one of those bodies might be my dad, and I sure as hell am not comfortable with science taking actual human bodies, carving them up like some pieces of meat, and displaying them like some Christmas decoration.

It's one thing when bodies are being donated to universities for medical students to research and practice on. It's something else entirely when a science museum is using human corpses to make a profit. This whole thing doesn't sit well with me, and it's after a while of overthinking, I find it outright horrifying that people are allowing skinned corpses to be available for all to see. We're revolted at seeing such a sight on movies and TV shows, but in real life???
I an guessing it's the Body Worlds Exhibitions, the one in Houston closes on the 23rd April, although Body Works exhibits all over the globe.

Whilst this type of exhibition may not be to everyones taste, anatomy is an important science and people leaving their bodies to medical science do not get to stipulate their exact use, however only a very tiny percentage will ever be put on display.

King's College London - London Anatomy Office

King's College London - Body Donation

King's College London - Disposal of a Donated Body

There are a number of medical anatomy museums in London, the most famous being the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons in London, which is currently undergoing refurbishment.

Body Worlds Exhibitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Worlds

All anatomical specimens on display in the BODY WORLDS exhibitions are authentic. They belonged to people who declared during their lifetime that their bodies should be made available after their deaths for the qualification of physicians and the instruction of laypersons.

Many donors underscore that by donating their body, they want to be useful to others even after their death. Their selfless donations allow us to gain unique insights into human bodies, which have thus far been reserved for physicians at best. Therefore, we wish to thank the living and deceased body donors.

Body Donation - Body Worlds

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-11-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
I saw the Bodies exhibit, and it was fascinating and educational.

Anyone who takes high school biology dissects all sorts of critters. Anyone who takes human anatomy in college dissects human cadavers. So we're talking millions of people; they don't all turn into serial killers.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why do you care what someone else finds interesting? If you don't like it, don't go.

As for me, I have no problem with it. They can use mine when I die, if they want. I'll be done with it, won't matter to me.
This.

Don't like it, don't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies