Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times

Advertisements

As a New Yorker, I applaud this move, even though it won't benefit me.

Kids who have the ability and desire to continue their education should not be denied the experience because of finances. One thing I agreed with Bernie on was that a high school diploma doesn't cut it anymore - you need a degree or vocational training to get a job. His argument was that a free public education should extend through an undergraduate degree.

I'm sure a lot of kids who would have taken out huge loans to go to college will now be able to go without that worry. Sounds good to me! And those kids can now have more disposable income to spend after graduation rather than staying in their parents' basements while they pay off their loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It is pretty much the same in NY. The criteria, acceptance rate differs depending on the University. SUNY Stony Brook which is where I graduated from has an acceptance rate of 40.7%
SUNY Binghamton is probably the most difficult to get accepted to. It's ranked up there with the Ivy League schools, and a lot cheaper.

Yes, SUNY Stony Brook also has a low acceptance rate, including for transfer students. I knew students with 3.0 GPA's from Suffolk CC, who were rejected by Stony Brook. Generally, it is usually easier for Transfer Students to get accepted than for grads right out of HS.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:45 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Does it include room and board?
There was a woman on the news who complained that it didn't.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
You can read what you like. 100k for a family in NY is not middle income. 100k a year in NY for a family is just getting by. It sounds sick but its true. As far as tax money goes in NY you are taxed to death. You have $15 toll bridges. High gas tax. Red light and speeding cameras all over the place. You have property taxes over 12 k a year for a normal middle class neighborhood. Yes to pay this eventually taxes will go up again. Or they will attack other working families benefits. You will have thousands graduating with liberal arts degrees that they can wipe their backsides with!!!
It depends on where in NY you are. In many areas upstate, it probably means you're doing quite well. Where I live on LI, I would say even families making incomes of $200K are living like middle class.

If you own your home, taxes are high but once the mortgage is paid off you're looking at an asset of at least $400K. For renters, you can find plenty of options in the $1500 range - with an income of $100K that is extremely livable.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. However look at you sons friend. She went to school for a specific skill. Plumbers,,electricians,,auto mechanics are all skills that are sorely needed. However liberal arts degrees are a dime a dozen. There is very little that separates you from any other candidate when you have a degree like that to a potential employer. My whole point is that most of these kids will get a degree that does not prepare them for the real world but instead offers 4 more years of high school. What is worth more? Learning carpentry or English literature?
Somebody's grouchy and has an ax to grind. Those liberal arts majors you like to bash? They market the products that you buy. You think those right wingers at Fox were plumbers and roofers before they got a job at Fox News? You're seriously deluding yourself. If EVERYBODY got into the trades, then wages would drop like a rock. You didn't think of that in your ranting did you?

Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
Yeah you pay taxes, but everybody thinks there is this bottomless pit of tax money to pay for "free" everything.
Somewhere, state programs are going to get cut to fund this. It amazes me how the left always thinks, well if its to expensive and costs keep rising, just make it free. Why not take the revolutionary approach, and figure out why costs are rising and do something about that instead of just bitching about the problem????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. For those who read about this such as myself, it includes tuition and books up to a certain income level for middle income NY residents, and next year the eligible income bracket will be increased a little. I think it's a great idea, we pay taxes anyway, and it's wonderful that NY residents are actually getting something good from the tax money they are paying; something that will really improve their lives, instead of something pointless and maybe even harmful like paying more taxes to start new wars in Syria and possibly Korea

Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Somebody's grouchy and has an ax to grind. Those liberal arts majors you like to bash? They market the products that you buy. You think those right wingers at Fox were plumbers and roofers before they got a job at Fox News? You're seriously deluding yourself. If EVERYBODY got into the trades, then wages would drop like a rock. You didn't think of that in your ranting did you?
Again there are a glut of liberal arts degrees. There is certainly no glut in skilled trades. If anything there is a shortage of skilled workers. I didn't bring up Fox however you did for some reason that has nothing to do with my statement. I guess you didn't think of that in your ranting did you?

Old 04-11-2017, 03:43 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
There is much less transfer applications that first-year/out of high school. C'mon man, and I've got a feeling the 1 year rule might end.
I should have been more clear. The transfers are from any NY CC (or any other SUNY school).

So if you don't get admitted to one of the free tuition state schools, you can go to CC for a year, apply for transfer, and automatically get admitted after your 2nd year of CC. Or if you do not get into your first choice SUNY, you can do that same at your second choice SUNY.
I think the 1 year rule is mandated by law and not controlled by the colleges, though obviously they can amend that law if the schools get impacted.
(You still have to be qualified of course! The rule impacts people who are waitlisted for space.)

Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Again there are a glut of liberal arts degrees. There is certainly no glut in skilled trades. If anything there is a shortage of skilled workers.
There's a glut of specific liberal art degrees, but there is also a significant shortage of many other liberal art degrees. My specific industry badly needs people with geography degrees and they are becoming scarce, requiring a lot of competition between employees.
(And with the death of the apprenticeship programs, skilled trades require just as much education at even greater costs and with a higher washout percentage, making them a lot less safe route than a liberal arts degree.)

Old 04-11-2017, 05:00 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
You will have thousands graduating with liberal arts degrees that they can wipe their backsides with!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Being educated in diversity, gender studies, fine arts, won't even land you a job at Taco Bell.
Quote:
However liberal arts degrees are a dime a dozen.

I don't suppose any of you realize that there are STEM degrees to be earned in college? Nevermind degrees with specific applications such as education and accounting. Perhaps you need to get out more, or at least research a topic before you comment on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
As a New Yorker, I applaud this move, even though it won't benefit me.
Actually it will, indirectly, because we all benefit from a more educated population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not every one can excel in math and science. My son has a BA in history and a masters in international relations. He has an excellent job. Besides his credentials, he knows how to write intelligently and talk coherently. And he knows how to research. People in liberal arts are very much needed.
Excellent! Of course not everyone can excel - or enjoy - math and science. I loved science, especially chemistry, but was not crazy about math because it was difficult for me to always see the real-life applications of all those calculus formulas I learned in high school (much to the disappointment of my mechanical engineer father). So I jettisoned my plan of majoring in chemistry and instead gravitated toward journalism, where the toughest math problem was checking the city finance director's addition in the annual budget.

I have a BA in communication arts - one of the most snickered-at of liberal arts degrees. Yet despite the ignominy of a liberal arts degree , I've managed to stay employed for the better part of the past 36 years, as have all of my classmates. So the tired old mantra about a liberal arts degree being worthless is worthless in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies