Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,846,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, everyone says that, but none of you actually mean it. When it's time for you to collect, you're gonna go down to the social security office, apply, and walk out of the place....then jump in the air and click your heels. Just like everyone else does.
Why wouldn't he want to collect? He payed into it, it's his money.

Quote:
If you're gonna get so rich investing your 6.2 percent, then invest another 6.2 percent and get rich off of that.
Investing 12.4 is better than investing 6.2. Hard concept for you to grasp big fella?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,846,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I think a lot of people would disagree with you. This is what happens when you vote Republican. They are always looking for ways to screw the average worker. Good work people. This is just the beginning.
Getting to keep more of your money is bad for the average worker?

Old 04-12-2017, 05:52 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,492,859 times
Quote:
Yes you do.

Yeah, everyone says that, but none of you actually mean it. When it's time for you to collect, you're gonna go down to the social security office, apply, and walk out of the place....then jump in the air and click your heels. Just like everyone else does.

If you're gonna get so rich investing your 6.2 percent, then invest another 6.2 percent and get rich off of that.
Funny, I put 25k towards investing when I was 22. Stagnant markets until Trump comes along, quarterly returns of 10.7% from election day to present day.

Ever hear of residual income?

I plan for the next housing market crash and buy up houses after the banks have been sitting on them paying property taxes, making repairs etc. There's plenty near me as is, just have to find the banks who are sitting on them and talk to their asset manager. With what I have now I can start with 2...

Can either turn around and sell them for profit or rent them out. Think I'll rent them out... Figure bank it all away for the next 5 years then go with 5-10 houses rented out at 1200 per month, I wont have to collect social security. Throw wells, filtration, irrigation, sod, few trees for shade, hurricane windows, fresh paint, replace busted up concrete driveways with pavers (lowers taxes as pavers aren't considered a permanent structure) and just show up to mow/trim every two weeks. Done.

But go on and tell me how wrong I am and how I should jump on the social security teat because I don't plan ahead...

Old 04-12-2017, 06:00 AM

45,200 posts, read 26,409,281 times
Phase out SS by letting folks opt out. No one should be made forcibly poorer to fund the retirement of another.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:29 AM

58,944 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Of course his rubes won't get it, and think this is a great thing. In their minds, Trump can do no wrong and everything he does is to MAGA. Trump could off some parents' kids, and the Trump supporting parents would do mental gymnastics on trying to find solid reasoning for his actions, thinking that Trump must have done it in order to make America great again
"Trump can do no wrong and everything he does is..."

And there are MANY like ypu who think trump can do NO RIGHT!

Pot, meet kettle!

Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,650,865 times
This country doesn't have enough homeless. The corporate raid on SS will fix that.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Phase out SS by letting folks opt out. No one should be made forcibly poorer to fund the retirement of another.
Exactly. I really think we need a MUCH better system for teaching basic personal finance so this isn't some big scary unknown to them. Educate and teach them to invest on their own, rather than relying on the government and other peoples tax money. The returns and long term outcome will be much better for the majority of people.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:46 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,492,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Exactly. I really think we need a MUCH better system for teaching basic personal finance so this isn't some big scary unknown to them. Educate and teach them to invest on their own, rather than relying on the government and other peoples tax money. The returns and long term outcome will be much better for the majority of people.
But...but...but... Muh retirement! Nobody to hold my hand!!!

What's riskier? Investing and planning ahead, or relying on younger generations who could be wiped out by illness, war, every day accidents, to help pay for older generations since the system is supremely flawed?

If it's true that younger generations aren't spitting out 3-8 kids to keep up with baby boomers population, and allow for others to draw from the pot... It's going to be broke.
Interesting revision made shortly before my father passed away, my mother couldn't collect both hers and my fathers SS... She had to pick one or the other... Which means someone who's paid their share into it was given to someone else because that's fair...

Again. End it or make it optional.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,438,225 times
Anyone who is relying on SS for retirement is the big dummy. It was never meant to be that. It was meant to be a SUPPLEMENT not to live comfortably on.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,438,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
This country doesn't have enough homeless. The corporate raid on SS will fix that.
People who use ONLY SS for retirement are already poor and almost homeless. I know a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies