Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

All this bickering over semantics is pretty useful as a smokescreen for Trumps REAL actions.

Just nuclear optioned in a Supreme that will hold seat for a few decades but here we are trying to twist some stupid statement into a political weapon and look around, the only people really fired up about it are the partisans on either side while moderate voters are for the most part just rolling their eyes at this.

Other than riling up the bases, you're probably helping Trump more than you're hurting him with this fluffery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
The level of cluelessness in this thread is astounding. No, the execution of Jews and others in gas chambers in WWII has never been considered by historians as an example of the use of chemical weapons. And no, it doesn't sanitize or lessen the crimes of the Holocaust in any way to say that. It was arguably a worse offense by the Nazis to gas helpless prisoners who were no threat than to use gas as a weapon to gain a strategic advantage in war.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:30 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Baloney, Spicer is a blithering idiot. 75% of his press conference is "no,no,no...........but, but, but...." followed by some sort of childish tit for tat confrontation with the reporter who asked the question.
You're a little confused, for the "blithering idiots" are the left-fringe automatons seated across from Spicer who make up the MSM.

Spicer handles them better than any I've seen....and I've been watching Press Secretaries since Pierre Salinger worked for JFK. A lot of "nos and buts" are a given when you're dealing with people who have long dwelled in a protected cocoon of alternate reality.

You don't like him for the very reason that I and many, many others think he's doing a great job. He won't let the idiot left walk all over him....or the President he loyally serves.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:18 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
I agree. A slip of tongue should not be a big deal.
Appointing an idiot to be the White House press secretary (an extreamly sensitive job) IS A BIG DEAL.
On the other hand, other Trump appointments were similar. Therefore Spicer is "relatively" not that bad.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:33 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're a little confused, for the "blithering idiots" are the left-fringe automatons seated across from Spicer who make up the MSM.

Spicer handles them better than any I've seen....and I've been watching Press Secretaries since Pierre Salinger worked for JFK. A lot of "nos and buts" are a given when you're dealing with people who have long dwelled in a protected cocoon of alternate reality.

You don't like him for the very reason that I and many, many others think he's doing a great job. He won't let the idiot left walk all over him....or the President he loyally serves.
Oh, brother, to each his own. You sure are right!! A great job, with what he has to work with; still hope Sean gets paid big bucks. Trump confusing Iraq and Syria in an interview..........chocolate cake got in his way. Glad old Trump has some better advisors, among his staff, now. God bless us all, everyone.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
He simply said Hitler did not use chemical weapons like Assad, which makes sense in that context although it's not the best wording.
He has apologized so many times and the media is talking about firing him already.
Those who read history know that hitler was gassed in WWI (October, 1918) when he was a corporal in the German Army. He hated chemical warfare, and refused to use it on the battlefield.
Those who equate the Holocaust with a battlefield simply do not understand the difference between fighting a war and going to work every day with a certain quota of people to kill. Yes, IMO, the two scenarios are entirely different!

Old 04-16-2017, 02:26 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Default Chris Matthews said the same thing...

It's probably been posted by now, but in case it hasn't...

MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews came to the defense of White House press secretary Sean Spicer for saying Adolf Hitler didn’t use chemical weapons during World War II — a line Mr. Matthews also used when talking about the Syrian Civil War in 2013.

Mr. Matthews said Mr. Spicer was likely referring to the fact that the former German chancellor did not resort to using chemical weapons on the battlefield even when defeat was imminent.

Chris Matthews, who said same thing in 2013, defends Spicer's Hitler remark - Washington Times

BTW, how come the MSM didn't make a mountain out of this? Was it because one of their own had an unfortunate slip of the tongue so it's no big deal?

Spicer does it and all of a sudden there's outrage?

What's the matter with the left anyway. Never mind.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's probably been posted by now, but in case it hasn't...

MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews came to the defense of White House press secretary Sean Spicer for saying Adolf Hitler didn’t use chemical weapons during World War II — a line Mr. Matthews also used when talking about the Syrian Civil War in 2013.

Mr. Matthews said Mr. Spicer was likely referring to the fact that the former German chancellor did not resort to using chemical weapons on the battlefield even when defeat was imminent.

Chris Matthews, who said same thing in 2013, defends Spicer's Hitler remark - Washington Times

BTW, how come the MSM didn't make a mountain out of this? Was it because one of their own had an unfortunate slip of the tongue so it's no big deal?

Spicer does it and all of a sudden there's outrage?

What's the matter with the left anyway. Never mind.

So a reporter/TV personality saying something is exactly equivalent to the White House Press Secretary saying it?

I very much disagree with that assertion.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
He simply said Hitler did not use chemical weapons like Assad, which makes sense in that context although it's not the best wording.
He has apologized so many times and the media is talking about firing him already.
I'm the descendant of four European Jews (my grandparents on both sides) who escaped Hitler's killing machine. All four of them lost their families to Hitler's chemical weapons.

So....get outta here with that.

Seriously.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Well, Obama's probably had better relationships simply by virtue of not having daily meltdowns and not destroying all credibility right off the bat by coming out of the gate with an easily disprovable lie.

They did get hounded with tough questions though. They were just more up to the task both intellectually and socially.
Obama was a master at answering questions. He'd take up the time by rambling on and on in response to one question which, in the end, he didn't answer anyway. He took up all the time allotted, and so took only a fraction of the questions they might have wanted to ask. I hardly call that "intellectual".

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Exactly. And it goes beyond the verbal gymnastics it took to avoid saying, "gas chamber."

Furthermore, he said that Hitler didn't kill "his own people." That's telling of Spicer's core values: that Jews (and other "others") aren't like him. We're not and never will be his people. During Passover, no less.
I've heard some stretches...this one outdoes all of them. What convoluted mental gymnastics!

Beats me how in the world anyone can come up with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't think it is.

I think he's doing a horrible job but it's probably impossible to do a good job trying to be Trump's mouthpiece.

Man, Rachel ripped him to shreds the other night as she played his numerous flubs and misspeaks.

He doesn't seem up to the task.

Then again, I think the same about many of Trump's appointments.
Rachel can't rip anyone to shreds. She only pretends she can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies