Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 08:07 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
I agree, the damage to the tunnels was the main goal of this strike I believe.
The tunnels the CIA built

Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Dropping that bomb was like stepping on an ant mound, yes some ants were killed and others injured but more than anything the rest of the colony is now really mad.

Can we now expect retaliating terrorist attacks this Easter weekend?

The only good thing about destroying the tunnels in the desert is that we didn't drop that bomb on an isis town and after the smoke clears we would be sending tax payer dollars to rebuild that town.
I tend to believe the experts instead of partisans who believe partisan media who don't have the inside scoop or expertise, especially after their having an 8 year shot at resolving the issue but failed.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:22 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
Quote:
Dropping that bomb was like stepping on an ant mound, yes some ants were killed and others injured but more than anything the rest of the colony is now really mad.

The only good thing about destroying the tunnels in the desert is that we didn't drop that bomb on an isis town and after the smoke clears we would be sending tax payer dollars to rebuild that town.
You can expect a terrorist attack at any time. This is why we must remove ISIS from the world. ISIS is a radical form of Islam, which isn't compatible with a free world.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:38 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
True that the war(s) in the ME cannot be compared to either of the world wars. That's a mistake, but you can go back to the end of WWI if you want to begin finding the source(s) of today's problems in the ME. America's problems in the ME anyway.

Not true that invading or leaving Iraq created ISIS. Terrorism the sort sadly represented by 9/11 began long before 9/11, again simply recount the history since WWI. The problems between the Shiites, Sunnis, Kurds, Zionists, Palestinians -- Irgun, the PLO, Al Quaida, Hezbollah, Hamas, now ISIS, etc....

All essentially many of the same players over decades with different names, killing one another for all variety of reasons. Unfortunately, America has played a significant role toward generating many of those reasons, and this history we can't undo.

What we can do is not further aggravate or take further ownership of these conflicts that go well beyond a simple question of good guys and bad guys, well beyond the solution of any bomb no matter how big. Understand the source(s) of these problems and you begin to understand what is within America's control and what is not.

Hard to imagine our POTUS and/or American leadership can't engage with other advanced world countries to arrive at a better strategy all considered than this that now Trump seems intent on continuing, but if we continue to think we can do as we wish unilaterally, even without consent of Congress, we will make matters worse, not better.

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-15-2017 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 08:42 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,897 times
Quote:

There is a psychological effect to this knowing that we are willing to wipe out a whole camp.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:48 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
There is a psychological effect to this knowing that we are willing to wipe out a whole camp.
That's done wonders at dissuading them thus far

Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The problems between the Shiites, Sunnis, Kurds, Zionists, Palestinians -- Irgun, the PLO, Al Quaida, Hezbollah, Hamas, now ISIS, etc....
Don't forget it is ISIS that is the focus. If we were over there trying to participate in a conflict between the Shiites and the Kurds, for example, I think everyone would be quite justified in protesting our involvement.

But ISIS is different. If you don't believe that, research how many priceless places and artifacts have been destroyed by ISIS. Some of these places and irreplaceable artifacts have existed for 1000's of years, surviving many wars and catastrophes. But they didn't survive ISIS.

I remember when ISIS first reared its ugly head, Obama said he wasn't too worried about them, because factions that vile and extreme usually are overthrown by their own people. There may be some truth to that, but they have grown too powerful. I am all for helping over there if it means the complete destruction of ISIS, using whatever weapons are required to complete the task.

It is either that, or sit back and watch as they become the Fourth Reich. They are not going to sit at a table and negotiate.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:

It depends which ants were in the tunnel.

The people doing the bombing, and the drive thrus with the trucks are the pawns. The leaders are the ones usually sending out commands and propaganda from a secure location. So its hard to know anything until the dust settles and we either find some people or stuff and see how they react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
That's done wonders at dissuading them thus far
Nobody has experienced that bomb before.

You definitely won't dissuade anyone with a little drone strike - which is mostly what we have done in the recent past.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:03 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
We only have 10 MOABs left - enough to kill only 940 more ISIS members.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Don't forget it is ISIS that is the focus. If we were over there trying to participate in a conflict between the Shiites and the Kurds, for example, I think everyone would be quite justified in protesting our involvement.

But ISIS is different. If you don't believe that, research how many priceless places and artifacts have been destroyed by ISIS. Some of these places and irreplaceable artifacts have existed for 1000's of years, surviving many wars and catastrophes. But they didn't survive ISIS.

I remember when ISIS first reared its ugly head, Obama said he wasn't too worried about them, because factions that vile and extreme usually are overthrown by their own people. There may be some truth to that, but they have grown too powerful. I am all for helping over there if it means the complete destruction of ISIS, using whatever weapons are required to complete the task.

It is either that, or sit back and watch as they become the Fourth Reich. They are not going to sit at a table and negotiate.
Understood. I did not mean that all the various characters are one-and-the-same, but I am just pointing out how they are in many ways born of similar issues that go back many decades...

"ISIL", "ISIS", "Daish", "Daesh", and "Islamic State group." ISIL originated as Jama'at al-Tawhid wal-Jihad in 1999, which pledged allegiance to al-Qaeda...

See what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies