Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
"Let's broaden the scope of this a little. In your opinion, is there any action or any event that might occur outside of US borders that would justify a US military response?"

Ok, that's a good example. So now let's narrow it down a little, if that's OK.

Let's say a country like Russia installed some nuclear-tipped missiles in Cuba. Would that justify a US military response?
Would we get involved if another country was getting themselves involved near our shores?

Yes, I would understand that. It's why Russia and China should run us off from over there.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
"Let's broaden the scope of this a little. In your opinion, is there any action or any event that might occur outside of US borders that would justify a US military response?"

Ok, that's a good example. So now let's narrow it down a little, if that's OK.

Let's say a country like Russia installed some nuclear-tipped missiles in Cuba. Would that justify a US military response?
lol Bad example. Russia putting missiles in Cuba was their military response to America having missiles in Turkey.
Americas foreign policy is the cause of Americas problems as far as foreign policy goes. You cannot kill innocents and expect people to like you.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
15 years in Afghanistan and we have accomplished nothing other than death and destruction. I think it's easy to point out that those who say our actions are wrong know more than the generals.
15,000 years of Afghanistan and it hasn't accomplished anything. It's a stubborn area. One mistake we may make is to assume all countries are unified as western nations are. This may not be the case in Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq, Iran and other places in North Africa or the Middle East. British cartographers likely did not understand the disparate groups they were bundling between borders when drawing the nations we see today.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
15,000 years of Afghanistan and it hasn't accomplished anything. It's a stubborn area. One mistake we may make is to assume all countries are unified as western nations are. This may not be the case in Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq, Iran and other places in North Africa or the Middle East. British cartographers likely did not understand the disparate groups they were bundling between borders when drawing the nations we see today.
I suspect the British understood plenty more than you give them credit for. They just didn't care, nor did they foresee the problems into the future they were germinating. All that is history now though and as screwed up as much of that meddling in the ME was then, we've really got to think about what sort of meddling is appropriate now and into the future. We've also got to better understand and appreciate the "disparate groups" that still exist in the ME today despite the national borders drawn by the British back in their day...

Old 04-22-2017, 06:36 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Death toll in Afghan base attack rises to 140, officials say | Reuters

And the cycle continues.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Interesting. Thank you for sharing this.
Another airstrike that killed almost 500, a few of importance to the Taliban and then they dress as Afghani soldiers to gain access to a base. It is bad over there. This just shows how bad it really is.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:10 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suspect the British understood plenty more than you give them credit for. They just didn't care, nor did they foresee the problems into the future they were germinating. All that is history now though and as screwed up as much of that meddling in the ME was then, we've really got to think about what sort of meddling is appropriate now and into the future. We've also got to better understand and appreciate the "disparate groups" that still exist in the ME today despite the national borders drawn by the British back in their day...
Imperialism doesn't work that way. Our intelligence community doesn't want a unified Middle East such as what occurred under the Caliphates of the Ottoman's, Mamluks and their predecessors...1.6 Billion Muslims united under one flag with the vast majority of the world's oil and natural gas resources is a scary thought to them.

Therefore keep them divided, insight sectarianism and deal with the terrorist groups and attacks as they come. In their eyes terrorism is a small price to pay for their greater objective and gives them a great platform to continue meddling in the region.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:15 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Imperialism doesn't work that way. Our intelligence community doesn't want a unified Middle East such as what occurred under the Caliphates of the Ottoman's, Mamluks and their predecessors...1.6 Billion Muslims united under one flag with the vast majority of the world's oil and natural gas resources is a scary thought to them.

Therefore keep them divided, insight sectarianism and deal with the terrorist groups and attacks as they come. In their eyes terrorism is a small price to pay for their greater objective and gives them a great platform to continue meddling in the region.
Great point. The US doesn't want a powerful unified ME be cause it would be another threat to US power. This is also why Russia is a target, as a nation it is a threat. Break up Russia and it's not a threat anymore.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:26 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Great point. The US doesn't want a powerful unified ME be cause it would be another threat to US power. This is also why Russia is a target, as a nation it is a threat. Break up Russia and it's not a threat anymore.
Absolutely. The CIA has been working very hard to inspire Chechen terrorist and separatists groups as well as Kazakh's to destabilize Russia. In China the western Chinese Uyghur, Tibetans and Taiwanese are all supported by the CIA to destabilize China as well.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:39 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

LOL,uhhhhh no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies